Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2013, 07:49 AM   #1

cable-satelitte wiring drawing-831FKBSS

how do I get a drawing of the tv wiring for antenna-cable-satellite for my 2013 FOREST RIVER 831FKBSS FLAGSTAFF. i'm trying to understand what's there and how to use-adapt for satellite.
Gary
etcmss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:54 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by etcmss View Post
how do I get a drawing of the tv wiring for antenna-cable-satellite for my 2013 FOREST RIVER 831FKBSS FLAGSTAFF. i'm trying to understand what's there and how to use-adapt for satellite.
Gary
There are no drawings sorry.
Were your best help .

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #3

Start out by telling us what coax connectors you see on the outside of your RV (how they are labelled) and how many TVs or TV outlets you have inside the RV.

Also, if you are already using a satellite service in your house, which company is that (or if you have a provider preference for some other reason).
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Gary
when i opted to put a satellite reciever in my trailer,the 1st thing i did was to track the wiring from the satellite hookup outside the trailer. the rg6 feed from the satellite hookup outside is gray. finding the gray rg6 behind the entertainment center was the next step. once i located that,i hooked that through a multiswitch adapter to the 2 sat.in connectors on the sat receiver. next,i tracked the rg6 wire to the 2nd tv in the bedroom. i unhooked that from the splitter and connected that to the 2nd tv feed on the sat receiver,(that only will work if you have a 2 tv receiver.)downside is I eliminated all hookups for antenna and cable,but i don't intend to use them anyway,my tv has various hookups,hdmi coax and rca,so i can still hookup the dvd and cable if needed. i'm on a seasonal site and my permanent tv will be thru satellite.
if i want to restore to the factory hookups,it's an easy 2 wire hookup.
i don't know if its standard,but on my rockwood 8315ss the rg6 cables are different colors.....gray for satellite,black for cable and orange for the run to the bedroom tv.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

They are different.
My sat in cable is orange from outside connection to distribution block by entertainment center.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #6

tv

outside is the norm---cable and satellite. inside is my question.
TV-Sat on --off switch and connectors, a bedroom satellite TV in.
the tv is connected I suppose for cable, antenna and possibly satellite but there are no basics for what to select on tv---trial and error.
so if I use an outside satellite and hook to provided connector--what happens inside
tv-sat switch I expect gets turned off
what cables if any are needed to TV (I expect they are connected and the source gets selected--or NOT because of the TV-sat switch)
and what is the bedroom satellite in for?
Old 08-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #7

Quote:
outside is the norm---cable and satellite. inside is my question.
TV-Sat on --off switch and connectors, a bedroom satellite TV in.
the tv is connected I suppose for cable, antenna and possibly satellite but there are no basics for what to select on tv---trial and error.
so if I use an outside satellite and hook to provided connector--what happens inside
tv-sat switch I expect gets turned off
what cables if any are needed to TV (I expect they are connected and the source gets selected--or NOT because of the TV-sat switch)
and what is the bedroom satellite in for?
I think the "norm" is more to have a single input that can be used for either Sat or Cable, so you're ahead if the game there.

By "TV-Sat on--off" switch, are you referring to this?

Name:   image-3946994363.jpg
Views: 1029
Size:  26.8 KB

If not, could you post a picture of that switch?

The TV is probably connected currently only in it's RF (coax) input. When you add the Sat receiver, you will want to run your own HDMI cable from the Sat receiver to an HDMI input on the TV (currently not used I would think).

The fact that you have a bedroom Sat-in probably means that they have inserted a splitter into the Sat coax. That may or may not work with DirecTV and will not work with Dish, so some rewiring may be in order there.

Most RVers prefer Dish because they have a pay-as-you-go plan with no contract and you only pay for the days that you want it turned on. So which provider?

Do you need an automatic dish outside that points itself, or are you willing to learn to point it yourself (like many of us do)? Manual gives you more receiver/configuration options and costs a lot less.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #8

Strange that tracing cable should come up now. We are staying in Petoskey, Mi. for another week and a half and I decided to check the connections. Outside feed box has one orange and one black rg6 to the amplifier box. Black goes to a splitter then into the cable/sat port. The splitter then feeds the bedroom in front with a black. The orange goes to the amplifer then a white to the front bedroom. From the I have a splitter from the ant. cable to a purple to the outdoor port by the door. The amplifer also has a gray from the antenna. My white cable wasn't even connected to anything in the bedroom, just hanging in the wall.
Ours is a 2013 2703ws. Hope this helps.
ALL the connectors were loose.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:47 AM   #9

wiring

the outside "norm" is a 2 connection panel with jacks for cable and satellite input.
i'm working the detailed drawing and will add pictures. I did figure out that the satellite receiver input is from the TV-SAT switch and the output I have to connect to the TV still.
The TV does have the entertainment center amp connected for audio output and there is a connection for DVD on the TV already.
I thought it would be simpler to just have a standard type Flagstaff drawing------boy was I wrong and surprised.
i'll get back with drawing and pictures, maybe with colors.
using a manual satellite.
Gary

Tags
wiring