Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2020, 08:31 PM   #1

Cable Satellite Issue solved but still confused

Thought I would post to update the situation with digital cable box. Just at an RV park who gave me a SHAW digital cable box. I got it working finally but it makes no sense to me. The coaxial cable went from the trailer park post to the satellite port of my trailer next to the cable port! Inside it went from the Sat/Aux port to RF on the digital box and then a cable to TV. I select antenna on TV inputs and voila. It would not work using the Cable port on the outside of trailer or the TV port under the Sat/Aux port in trailer. Seems that port is strictly for when TV wishes to use digital antenna to search for free available digital channels without a cable digital box. Makes no sense to me but that is what worked in the 200MBLE Forest River 2018 Surveyor. Thanks and I hope this is useful. Uncertain if wiring is incorrect in trailer or just me. Sensible people would think cable from rv post to cable input and then in trailer from TV port to RF in cable digital box and then to TV and turn off booster button for antenna, but NO....
Old 08-19-2020, 12:08 AM   #2

Did you turn off the antenna amplifier? Its usually the green light and button on the antenna jack by the TV.

That would interfere and cause enough noise to make the cable box not work if left on.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:33 AM   #3

Logic does not always apply, especially when RV manufacturers label things.

The CABLE connector on the outside of the RV NORMALLY goes to the splitter/amplifier and is designed for cable TV input that does not require a digital box, it is for cable systems that connect directly to the TV so you scan for the channels.

The SAT/AUX port should be a direct COAX from the storage bay to the panel behind the TV it is designed to be used with a receiver box system such as you ran into or for the satellite receiver to connect through to the dish.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:10 PM   #4

Thanks Doug. Useful info, Len
Old 08-19-2020, 08:11 PM   #5

Yes. Made no difference in this instance.

Tags
cable, fuse, lite, satellite