Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2015, 07:03 PM   #1

Cable TV Not Working :(

Hi folks. Very nice to meet you all. We are new to this forum and I hope someone has the answer to this question as the whole process of elimination game is not fun anymore.

We have been using the antenna for TV viewing since we bought our 2015 Forest River Sierra 371 REBH. We just got cable Internet and TV and have started hooking it up. There seems to be an issue with the signal though to two of the three rooms.

The modem/router only works when hooked up in the bedroom. It does not work when hooked up in the living room or bunk room.

The same goes for the television. I cannot get a cable signal to the cable box in either of the other rooms. Why is this?

There is an antenna booster button in the bedroom which I know should be off when using cable instead of the antenna. It is off right now and that is the reason I am able to get a signal in the bedroom.

I would really appreciate anyone's help getting the cable signal to work in the bunk and living room. Thank you in advance!
dfmmalaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:02 PM   #2
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
I'd pull wall plates and check connections
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:39 PM   #3

Well the thing is that they all get signal from the antenna. In fact we have been watching tv on the bunk and the living room tv's for months.

The minute we tried to run cable through the lines is when we had the issue in those two rooms.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:42 PM   #4
Left Coast

on cable, did you put tv on cable and do a channel scan?
Old 09-20-2015, 09:16 PM   #5

I sure did.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:03 PM   #6

I had the same issue. I pulled the junction box out of the wall and had my buddy ,who works for cable vision, bring his tools over and redo the cable ends. Turns out they did s crappy job on installing cable ends. Now picture is great.
I might also add that this issue appeared a year after having the camper and had used cable in it a week earlier. Strange heh?
Aca651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:11 PM   #7
7 Year Class A RV'er

Not sure if this is relevant to your system or not but on ours we have to turn off the power to the antenna system when hooked to cable.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 02:43 PM   #8

The easiest way to find out what's going on is to run a continuity check from the wall inlet from your cable box to the outlet side of the TV not receiving a signal. If you don't have a meter, one of your friends that's a electrician or cable repair man will have one.
Las Cruces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:52 PM   #9

Thank you for all the responses guys. We have a cable guy coming from Comcast tomorrow. Hopefully he can figure it out. I'll let you all know what happens. Wish me luck.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:41 PM   #10

did you press the itty bitty tiny button on each of the wall boxes?
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:51 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfmmalaw View Post
Hi folks. Very nice to meet you all. We are new to this forum and I hope someone has the answer to this question as the whole process of elimination game is not fun anymore.

We have been using the antenna for TV viewing since we bought our 2015 Forest River Sierra 371 REBH. We just got cable Internet and TV and have started hooking it up. There seems to be an issue with the signal though to two of the three rooms.

The modem/router only works when hooked up in the bedroom. It does not work when hooked up in the living room or bunk room.

The same goes for the television. I cannot get a cable signal to the cable box in either of the other rooms. Why is this?

There is an antenna booster button in the bedroom which I know should be off when using cable instead of the antenna. It is off right now and that is the reason I am able to get a signal in the bedroom.

I would really appreciate anyone's help getting the cable signal to work in the bunk and living room. Thank you in advance!
My guess is the signal loss at each splitter exceeds that which is needed by your modem.

Does your wall plate have a "sat" connection?

If so, I suggest you plug the park cable into the SAT connector on the outside wall and attach a high speed splitter at the SAT connection in the bedroom.

Then you can run one leg of the splitter to the modem and the other to the input for the cable on the wall plate. Use a modification to the plans for doing something similar for a satellite receiver I have attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf satellite_rewire.pdf (957.8 KB, 54 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:50 PM   #12

Hi all, new guy here. Perhaps I can get some help with figuring out how to run the tv on cable. I have a 2015 21DK Rockwood Roo. I hooked up my cable to the campground source, hooked to the cable input on the trailer, this is when everything went haywire. On the wall next to the TV is a input marked TV & one marked aux/sat. When watching cable, should the coax be hooked into the aux/sat input or left on the TV input? The dealer went over everything so fast on the day of delivery, I'm not sure he advised me on this. Thanks for any help.
Jim Miller
clockmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:36 AM   #13
Left Coast

Left on TV input.....switch tv (in menu) to cable, scan for channels.... Sat. connection is for sat. only. Also, turn antenna light off ( found on wall plate that the tv coax is connected to.)
Old 09-23-2015, 08:44 AM   #14

Thanks for the info Bob, I'll give it a shot.
Jim Miller
Old 09-29-2015, 04:01 PM   #15

Have you tried running the cable thru a window into your receiver and then TV. That should let you know if it is a problem with the cable from the outside connection to were you plug it in near the TV. I had a 2011 V-Cross fiver that had the same issue.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:24 PM   #16

Bob & whj77372, thanks for your replies. I've been in the Rocky Mountains without Internet or cell service until today. It turns out it was operator error. I hadn't turned off the tv switch and most important, I didn't have the cable tightened to make a good connection. thanks again
Jim