Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2015, 10:19 PM   #1

Cable TV on 3010DS

Hello All - I am a newbie on my first trip with a new 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS. So far everything is working pretty well except the cable TV. We have been to 4 campgrounds so far that offer cable TV and all 4 places the cable TV reception is so fuzzy it is not worth watching, I was assuming cable TV would be very clear. The over the air channels are very clear when we are in range. We are currently at a campground by Mt Rushmore with no over the air channels in range and the cable TV offered at the campground is only getting a couple channels that are very fuzzy. What are your experiences with cable TV at campgrounds, should there be a lot of channels and should they have a clear picture ? Is there any other connections I need to do other than connect from the cable TV jack at the campground to the cable TV jack on the side of the RV ?
lucky55616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:17 AM   #2

Have you made sure the antenna booster is turned off? If so, it may be a loose connection issue

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
GJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:50 PM   #3

Be sure to run a new scan in the TV at each location

Somedays I wake up Grumpy, somedays I just let her sleep......(Ray Scott)
Old 06-03-2015, 10:16 PM   #4

GJones - I have tried the cable TV with the antenna booster on and off but it does not make any difference one way or the other.

Jimmer - I always scan both over the air and cable at each location.

Can anyone confirm that the cable TV picture should definitely be clear in the campground ?
Old 06-04-2015, 02:04 AM   #5

If the campground cable is good, your picture should be clear. Could be a loose connection. To check, you could run a cable straight from the campground hookup to the TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
GJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:23 PM   #6
GeezerPete

Cable TV

In the last 3 years of RVing throughout the western states, we have yet to find a campground with a clear cable TV picture. The KOA in Rapid City, SD had an ok picture. However, the best way that we have found to watch TV is with our laptop connected to our TV and the programs streamed.
Oldtimer1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:22 PM   #7

It is my experience that most rv campgrounds only offer analog signals on their cable outlets, not even SD. Therefore, the picture will not be good. There is an Android app "TV Antenna Helper" that locates local signals for you and will help you point your antenna. Your over-the-air channels will be SD or HD and provide a much better picture.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:50 PM   #8

Not always but sometimes water will get in the cable connecter outside and that can make picture fuzzy. any kind of moisture is bad.
Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:13 PM   #9

I've had good luck with cable TV but most are analog signals. Make sure you have a good quality coax cable to hook up at campground site. I bought one at a discount store that was junk. My home cable company (Comcast) made up a new one for me and gave it to me at no cost. Also avoid those quick connect couplers that just push on to the nipple, many of them give a poor quality picture. Good luck
edcronin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:41 PM   #10

You may have to switch from roof antenna to cable. My switch box is in an overhead cabinet with DVD player and home theater amp above the LR TV. Switch TV from Air to Cable and rescan.
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:43 AM   #11
GeezerPete

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbo70 View Post
It is my experience that most rv campgrounds only offer analog signals on their cable outlets, not even SD. Therefore, the picture will not be good. There is an Android app "TV Antenna Helper" that locates local signals for you and will help you point your antenna. Your over-the-air channels will be SD or HD and provide a much better picture.
Thanks Chasbo 70, I did find the app on Google Play. Next trip out we'll use it. Going fishing at the end of this month. It'll be nice to have a better tv at night.
Oldtimer1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:48 PM   #12

I had the same issue with my 2011 Georgetown 327DS and came to the conclusion that it was caused by the 4-way splitter between the input selector switch (ant/cable/sat) and the TVs in the unit. My "no-modifications" solution was to add an amplifier from Radio Shack at the output of the input selector box. The boosted signal, after the splitter now has enough strength to usually give a good picture. Some RV parks still have poor signals because their equipment is old, misinstalled, has bad connections or a number of other problems.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:18 PM   #13

Thanks everyone for your help. I finally found a tiny black button in one of the overhead cabinets that seems to switch from over the air TV to cable TV and now cable TV comes in fairly well. This button was not discussed at the delivery inspection and isn't in any of the manuals but my issue is resolved.