Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2021, 09:08 PM   #21

I have a Buffalo DDWRT Router/wireless AP that has a feature for this exact question. Just about any DDWRT router should be able to do this. I forgot how it works since I haven't used it for this in a couple years and now use it for my work AP at home so the settings are changed but basically

You set up the wireless to connect to the campground wireless by assigning the SSID, then there is a mode for the wireless that bridges your computer and other devices to the wireless, basically splitting the AP in two, one to TX and RX to the campground and one to TX and R to your devices. Once the router connects to the campground wireless, you bring up the web page on either your phone or laptop and you will get the sign on page for the campground. Once that happens all devices connected to the router will have full internet access.

Any wireless router running DD-WRT software should be able to do this. https://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-AirSt.../dp/B0096239EC

Luckily I bookmarked the steps, Here is how to set up DDWRT
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:09 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post
I have a Buffalo DDWRT Router/wireless AP that has a feature for this exact question. Just about any DDWRT router should be able to do this. I forgot how it works since I haven't used it for this in a couple years and now use it for my work AP at home so the settings are changed but basically

You set up the wireless to connect to the campground wireless by assigning the SSID, then there is a mode for the wireless that bridges your computer and other devices to the wireless, basically splitting the AP in two, one to TX and RX to the campground and one to TX and R to your devices. Once the router connects to the campground wireless, you bring up the web page on either your phone or laptop and you will get the sign on page for the campground. Once that happens all devices connected to the router will have full internet access.

Any wireless router running DD-WRT software should be able to do this. https://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-AirSt.../dp/B0096239EC

Luckily I bookmarked the steps, Here is how to set up DDWRT
He is trying to connect an extender to the park wifi. He will have to connect his computer to the extender and choose the park wifi to connect to. It will then bring up the page for him to continue on his computer. Many routers can also be set up with a wifi to wifi connection to do the same thing.
dave1650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:34 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathon View Post
Make sure the device you're using is a router and not a repeater. With a router, the campground sees all the devices as one single device. Some repeaters will just use two radios to relay the exact data through to the camp's Wifi with a boost of power in between. This type of device effectively extends the range without creating a new network. (like a longer cable) If your TV's network IP address is coming from the campground's network it's not going to work unless it has the dorm/hotel feature others have described.

A router will provide a "local" network for your camper and present itself and all your devices to the campground as a single device. Your phone, laptop, and TV will have a different address and gateway than the campground network. When you approve from any device that shows the "I Agree" captive portal, all of your devices should be authorized.

eg. This will work, but it has to be in the router mode.
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wirel.../dp/B01N5RCZQH
The previous stuff didn't work. I'll try this. Thanks
Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:07 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
The previous stuff didn't work. I'll try this. Thanks
Basically you will be doing the same with this device as with your extender. What make and model extender do you have? What was the results when connected to your computer and selecting the camp ground wifi to extend? If you give me the make and model I can give you specific steps to follow to accomplish what you are trying to do if you would like.
Old 05-24-2021, 09:12 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
What you are dealing with is a “Captive Portal”. The older Chromecast devices don’t support logging into a captive portal, but there are workarounds. Google “connecting chromecast at a college dorm” or at a hotel. This will take you to the various workarounds for the older devices. The newer Chromecast will work easily with captive portals. Work out which one you have.

Check out this link:

https://chromeunboxed.com/new-chrome...captive-portal

Bruce

You are correct Bruce. This is a captive portal and some devices, such as headless devices, do not have the ability to accept terms and conditions or “authenticate”.
NewEnglandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 08:04 AM   #26

So I went up this weekend with a TP-link AC750 travel router and with dave1650's help I was able to create a hotspot without needing to have every device "sign-in". I was able to connect my chromecast, phones and laptop. I was even able to cast to the chromecast.
Thanks for everyone's help!
Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 10:10 AM   #27

I have found the wifi tutorial on this site helpful for many. It is very similar to what I have been doing for years.

https://outsideourbubble.com/
Old 06-02-2021, 08:38 AM   #28
Happy Camper

Sounds like you've got it sorted now, but for others just reading... You need to search for a travel router when looking for something to use on your rig that will broadcast the campground wifi connection to your devices using your own network name. This would allow you to give your camper network the same name and login info as you use at home (if you wish), so all your devices that seamlessly connect to your home wifi will work the same when you are camping, but you'll be using the campground internet connection to do so. With or without the "captive login" screen that is mentioned, a travel router will generally make life easier because you'll only ever have to deal with connecting to external wifi once when you set up camp each time.
BrentD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 04:34 PM   #29

I'm sitting in a hotel room right now, signed onto my own private network by using my GL-AR750-ext travel router. I have my Chromebook, my phone, Wife's phone, and Roku on the network and all are working fine.

The only problem I had was getting to the captive portal, but I have a link I use to force my chromebook to the portal so I can answer the question.

get-wifi-connection

It will work for campground wifi too, but it's only as good as the campground's wifi.
rwriley1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 05:11 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentD99 View Post
Sounds like you've got it sorted now, but for others just reading... You need to search for a travel router when looking for something to use on your rig that will broadcast the campground wifi connection to your devices using your own network name. This would allow you to give your camper network the same name and login info as you use at home (if you wish), so all your devices that seamlessly connect to your home wifi will work the same when you are camping, but you'll be using the campground internet connection to do so. With or without the "captive login" screen that is mentioned, a travel router will generally make life easier because you'll only ever have to deal with connecting to external wifi once when you set up camp each time.
Insure you find a travel router that is capable of cloning the mac address of your laptop. That will solve problems with log on screens. Once you log on with your laptop through the log on screen and clone the mac address to the router the campground wifi will see the router as your laptop and allow it access. Also make sure the router is capable of making a wifi to wifi connection to the internet provider(camp ground wifi).
Old 06-02-2021, 05:15 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1650 View Post
Insure you find a travel router that is capable of cloning the mac address of your laptop. That will solve problems with log on screens. Once you log on with your laptop through the log on screen and clone the mac address to the router the campground wifi will see the router as your laptop and allow it access. Also make sure the router is capable of making a wifi to wifi connection to the internet provider(camp ground wifi).

I have never had to Clone anything, the campground WIFI sees the MAC address of the router and not your laptop or other device, the router requests a web page on behalf of you device, the portal page acknowledgement is sent through and the campground WiFi server thinks your router is the requesting device and lets it connect. Once that MAC address has acknowledged the login you are good to go on all your devices.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:13 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
I have never had to Clone anything, the campground WIFI sees the MAC address of the router and not your laptop or other device, the router requests a web page on behalf of you device, the portal page acknowledgement is sent through and the campground WiFi server thinks your router is the requesting device and lets it connect. Once that MAC address has acknowledged the login you are good to go on all your devices.
Same Here. I sign my Chromebook onto the travel wifi router, and all they see is the mac address of the router, no matter what I do. They can't see behind the router. It all looks like 1 device. Roku, phone, Chromebook, etc, etc.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:02 AM   #33

Quote:
In most camp ground wifi you can easily connect. The OP ran into one with a welcome screen. Until you acknowledge the welcome screen the router will not connect or send it through to the computer connected to it. If you clone the mac address of the computer to the router, log on once with the computer it will see the router as your computer that is already logged in. You really don't need to do this until you do.
Old 06-03-2021, 05:31 PM   #34

Quote:
In most camp ground wifi you can easily connect. The OP ran into one with a welcome screen. Until you acknowledge the welcome screen the router will not connect or send it through to the computer connected to it. If you clone the mac address of the computer to the router, log on once with the computer it will see the router as your computer that is already logged in. You really don't need to do this until you do.
The RV Park I am at right now has a welcome screen. I just went on my laptop, logged onto my WiFI Ranger, told ranger to connect to the RV park system. Then told my laptop browser to go to a web page which brought up the welcome screen. I clicked on the agree button. I have tested it with my IPad and IPhone both and they are working without dealing with the welcome screen. The RV park system recognizes the MAC address of the router and will let any and all connected devices through. This is how it is supposed to work, cloning a Mac from a computer to the router would be an unusual setup from my experience.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 06:17 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwriley1053 View Post
Same Here. I sign my Chromebook onto the travel wifi router, and all they see is the mac address of the router, no matter what I do. They can't see behind the router. It all looks like 1 device. Roku, phone, Chromebook, etc, etc.
Update: I ran into a problem at a Best Western. I tried to download a big file, and they shut me off. In my case, I can generate a random Mac Address, and they let me back on. I'm at another BW tonight, and they keep throwing me off. I think they have some kind of method to detect a travel router, and they don't like them. Either that or their WiFi has a problem. Not sure which it is at this point.
Old 06-04-2021, 07:32 AM   #36

Quote:
The RV Park I am at right now has a welcome screen. I just went on my laptop, logged onto my WiFI Ranger, told ranger to connect to the RV park system. Then told my laptop browser to go to a web page which brought up the welcome screen. I clicked on the agree button. I have tested it with my IPad and IPhone both and they are working without dealing with the welcome screen. The RV park system recognizes the MAC address of the router and will let any and all connected devices through. This is how it is supposed to work, cloning a Mac from a computer to the router would be an unusual setup from my experience.
The OP does not have a WiFiRanger. A WiFiRanger is made to handle welcome screens unlike the router the OP is using. As it states in the WiFiRanger setup: AUTHENTICATES HOTSPOT LOGIN PAGES
WiFiRanger automatically logs in to captive portal pages on public WiFi networks when a user stores their username and password on the router.
The OP is working with a TPLink AC 750 which he asked me how to connect to the park wifi with a welcome screen. It was his second router that would not allow him to connect. That is the situation where you may have to clone the mac address to allow the connection.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:01 AM   #37

Quote:
The OP does not have a WiFiRanger. A WiFiRanger is made to handle welcome screens unlike the router the OP is using. As it states in the WiFiRanger setup: AUTHENTICATES HOTSPOT LOGIN PAGES
WiFiRanger automatically logs in to captive portal pages on public WiFi networks when a user stores their username and password on the router.
The OP is working with a TPLink AC 750 which he asked me how to connect to the park wifi with a welcome screen. It was his second router that would not allow him to connect. That is the situation where you may have to clone the mac address to allow the connection.
In my case with the GL-AR750S router - I can sign onto router, scan for available networks, connect, and Authenticate the hotspot login (also know as Captive Portal) without cloning the address.

Sometimes I have to use this link get-wifi-connection to force my laptop to the page where I can either agree or sign on (whichever way they have it setup).

No Cloning required. But - maybe the TPLink AC 750 won't do it that way.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:36 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwriley1053 View Post
In my case with the GL-AR750S router - I can sign onto router, scan for available networks, connect, and Authenticate the hotspot login (also know as Captive Portal) without cloning the address.

Sometimes I have to use this link get-wifi-connection to force my laptop to the page where I can either agree or sign on (whichever way they have it setup).

No Cloning required. But - maybe the TPLink AC 750 won't do it that way.
That seems like a good router. I would not be surprised if it does have the ability to clone the mac address of what ever you are connected to it incase you are having problems connecting or being kicked off. If you do run into problems you should be able to find MAC Cloning in the setup. Some hotels or camp grounds give you a password you can put in most routers to connect and bring up the web page on the device you are connecting. If you have no password and a captive portal is required most routers will not connect because they can't authenticate. That is when mac cloning will allow a connection.
Old 06-04-2021, 12:04 PM   #39

Any DD-WRT based router can do this, most name brand routers, like Linksys, ASUS, and a few others do not, but can be upgraded to.

No MAC cloning needed, the router acts as the client and passes through the first device, IE the PC going to the website and touching the Captive Portal. Once you do that, the router is now married to the AP, any devices behind the router are NATTED and invisible to the AP, all it sees is the routers MAC and IP.

If the router has Client Settings where you can input the SSID and WEP or other Passphrase, then it is capable of doing this, if it doesn't then it cannot. Some routers though can be upgraded to use DD-WRT software though.

CCNP-Wireless, I have forgotten more about wireless than most people know today.
Old 06-04-2021, 03:48 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post
Any DD-WRT based router can do this, most name brand routers, like Linksys, ASUS, and a few others do not, but can be upgraded to.

No MAC cloning needed, the router acts as the client and passes through the first device, IE the PC going to the website and touching the Captive Portal. Once you do that, the router is now married to the AP, any devices behind the router are NATTED and invisible to the AP, all it sees is the routers MAC and IP.

If the router has Client Settings where you can input the SSID and WEP or other Passphrase, then it is capable of doing this, if it doesn't then it cannot. Some routers though can be upgraded to use DD-WRT software though.

CCNP-Wireless, I have forgotten more about wireless than most people know today.
How do you setup the router to connect through a computer to the captive portal? Are you connecting to computer with wifi or ethernet? The captive portal will see your computer as the client and you will have to log in with the computer.

Tags
campground, mpg, wifi