Old 11-02-2019, 09:09 AM   #1

Can I leave electric fireplace running without me there for 24hrs

I'm wondering how safe these furrion fireplace are. I'm leaving the trailer unattended and dont want to burn all my propane. Its 35 F and colder at night. How safe is that?

Mike485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:14 AM   #2

We had ours running for a few days in similar temps on our last trip a few weekends ago. No problems and it kept our camper very warm without using up the gas. But it's like anything else made by humans, nothing is perfect.

2019 Ford F250 Crew Cab - 2019 Greywolf 26DBH
Robbie D. Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie D. Camper View Post
We had ours running for a few days in similar temps on our last trip a few weekends ago. No problems and it kept our camper very warm without using up the gas. But it's like anything else made by humans, nothing is perfect.
Thanks Robbie.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:24 AM   #4

If you have water on board, I would leave cabinet doors open while gone.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
If you have water on board, I would leave cabinet doors open while gone.
Why is that?
Old 11-02-2019, 09:30 AM   #6

If its below freezing, it helps keep the water lines from freezing since hot air raises and cold drops. Running the propane heater, the heat ducts usually to some extent follow the water lines and keeps it warm. Now if it Just below freezing for a couple hours over night and 40s/or more during the day, no need to open them. Just something to think about.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:57 AM   #7

Quote:
If its below freezing, it helps keep the water lines from freezing since hot air raises and cold drops. Running the propane heater, the heat ducts usually to some extent follow the water lines and keeps it warm. Now if it Just below freezing for a couple hours over night and 40s/or more during the day, no need to open them. Just something to think about.
Ok.
I will still be running gas furnace, just bit lower. But I get ya.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:21 AM   #8
NXR

That's what I'm now doing. I'm down to just below a half tank of propane and cannot get it filled until mid-next week.

I also added a freestanding 1,500/750 watt heater on Low to help keep the rear bath and rear bedroom warmer. I learned this lesson after the furnace fan self-destructed in 35-degree weather. The Furrion fireplace kept the inside at 60 degrees with the bedroom somewhat colder. So now that heater is kept in the basement just in case...

While most of my water lines do indeed follow the ducting, something I had not realized until I read A32Deuce's comment, not all do. The two notable exceptions are the unheated wet bay and the water lines that run to the provisioning for a washer/dryer on the passenger side of the motorhome. I can see the lines behind some drawers so I keep those drawers slightly open.

I put a Honeywell Heat Bud in the wet bay and it works well. With it running continuously on Low it kept the wet bay at almost 60 degrees when it was about 35 outside. It's a 120 VAC 250 watt/125 watt heater, maybe 6" tall. and less than $20 on Amazon.

Ray
Old 11-02-2019, 10:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
That's what I'm now doing. I'm down to just below a half tank of propane and cannot get it filled until mid-next week.

I also added a freestanding 1,500/750 watt heater on Low to help keep the rear bath and rear bedroom warmer. I learned this lesson after the furnace fan self-destructed in 35-degree weather. The Furrion fireplace kept the inside at 60 degrees with the bedroom somewhat colder. So now that heater is kept in the basement just in case...

While most of my water lines do indeed follow the ducting, something I had not realized until I read A32Deuce's comment, not all do. The two notable exceptions are the unheated wet bay and the water lines that run to the provisioning for a washer/dryer on the passenger side of the motorhome. I can see the lines behind some drawers so I keep those drawers slightly open.

I put a Honeywell Heat Bud in the wet bay and it works well. With it running continuously on Low it kept the wet bay at almost 60 degrees when it was about 35 outside. It's a 120 VAC 250 watt/125 watt heater, maybe 6" tall. and less than $20 on Amazon.

Ray
Have you added an Extend A Stay kit? I did on ours. Much easier getting a small bottle refilled verses moving the unit to get the tank filled. I only just the tank running down the road and connect the bottle when stopped for the night.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:58 PM   #10
NXR

Quote:
Have you added an Extend A Stay kit? I did on ours. Much easier getting a small bottle refilled verses moving the unit to get the tank filled. I only just the tank running down the road and connect the bottle when stopped for the night.
No, however I am familiar with them. We normally don't use that much propane, in fact this will be the first time we've filled the tank since we took delivery in early July. Judging by the tank gauge changes from day to day, we're burning about 1/8th of the tank each night with the furnace. Since I have a 50-amp outlet at home I'll just switch over to electricity and keep the propane as the backup.

I just learned that Tractor Supply will do motorhome propane refills and there's a standalone one with a huge parking lot about fifteen minutes from here. That'll burn about two gallons of fuel round trip. Gotta love this 6 MPG rig.

So the 24.5 gallon ASME propane tank is about five grill bottles worth, if I got the math correct.

Ray
Old 11-02-2019, 01:52 PM   #11

We go away for 2 weeks to 4 months at a time. The kit really helps with propane use. Reefer and hot water in the summer plus heat in the winter. I get about 4 months of just road use out of the unit tank.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:03 PM   #12

You can buy oil filled electric heaters from Wally world for 40 bucks or less. No fan no open heating element. We've been using them for years and they are safe and quiet. Much more efficient than your electric fireplace.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:09 AM   #13
Pa Groundhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
No, however I am familiar with them. We normally don't use that much propane, in fact this will be the first time we've filled the tank since we took delivery in early July. Judging by the tank gauge changes from day to day, we're burning about 1/8th of the tank each night with the furnace. Since I have a 50-amp outlet at home I'll just switch over to electricity and keep the propane as the backup.

I just learned that Tractor Supply will do motorhome propane refills and there's a standalone one with a huge parking lot about fifteen minutes from here. That'll burn about two gallons of fuel round trip. Gotta love this 6 MPG rig.

So the 24.5 gallon ASME propane tank is about five grill bottles worth, if I got the math correct.

Ray
Here are the most common propane tanks:
20 lb tank: 18 tall and 12 in diameter. Holds 5 gallons of propane. ...
33 lb tank: 2 feet tall and 1 foot in diameter. Holds 8 gallons of propane. ...
100 lb tank: 4 feet tall and 18 diameter. ...
420 lb tank: 4 feet tall by 3 feet diameter. ...
500 gallon tank: 5 feet tall by 10 feet long.

Keep in mind... these are gallons not pounds. If you mean the screw on grill bottles, those are 1 pounders.
PaGroundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie D. Camper View Post
X2
Wonderful co-pilot
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:34 AM   #15
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaGroundhog View Post
Here are the most common propane tanks:
20 lb tank: 18 tall and 12 in diameter. Holds 5 gallons of propane. ...
33 lb tank: 2 feet tall and 1 foot in diameter. Holds 8 gallons of propane. ...
100 lb tank: 4 feet tall and 18 diameter. ...
420 lb tank: 4 feet tall by 3 feet diameter. ...
500 gallon tank: 5 feet tall by 10 feet long.

Keep in mind... these are gallons not pounds. If you mean the screw on grill bottles, those are 1 pounders.
Thanks. I was talking about the 20-pounders. We have a 24.5 gallon ASME tank per its stamped markings.

24.5 * 4.2 pounds per gallon = 102.9 pounds but it's only about 30" long, not 48" long. It must be wider than 18" but I can't get in there to be that accurate.

But is that 24.5 gallons with the 20% empty space or without it? I guess I'll find out when I get it filled.

The 35,000 BTU furnace should burn about 0.4 gallons per hour when running or about 2.5 days at 100% run time to empty the tank if not used for anything else. Or perhaps 20% less than that...

Ray
Old 11-03-2019, 09:38 AM   #16

Built in tanks in MHs are totally different sizes then the portable tanks.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
You can buy oil filled electric heaters from Wally world for 40 bucks or less. No fan no open heating element. We've been using them for years and they are safe and quiet. Much more efficient than your electric fireplace.
Do you feel ok with leaving it on while your hone for day or two?
Old 11-08-2019, 07:50 AM   #18

Yes. No open heating element, no fan to fail. We use them at home in rooms that never seem to get warm. Using one today in the cold weather in Texas.I love them because they are quiet. My trailer furnace wakes me up when it kicks on.
Like most plug in appliances, the most dangerous part is the cord. Do not plug in to power strips or overload the receptacle.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:55 AM   #19

I think I'd be more incline to use a good Space Heater over the fireplace. I've had an electric fireplace at home that sometimes the temp sensor wouldn't shut it off at set temp and it would just keep running. Never overheated, but did warm the room up quite a bit.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
This is what I use in the bedroom of my pull behind. I feel very safe leaving it on. I have one here at home that I use in my sunroom as well on colder days.

boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, fireplace