Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2018, 03:50 PM   #21
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Without knowing what phone the OP has, we are all just guessing.
What works for some phone and brands doesn't work for others.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:00 PM   #22
Living the Dream

We have DirecTV as well. We have the AT&T unlimited plan. I purchased a Dongle from Amazon. My TV is not a SmartTV or have mirror cast. That is what the Dongle does. I down loaded the the DirecTv app. I also have the Sunday Ticket NFL package. Just plug the Dongle in the HDMI port and the USB port for power. Select the Smartview feature on my Samsung S8 change the input on the TV to the HDMI port you are using. Select the channel you want to watch and there go. As long as you have cell service you can watch from the app.

Go Hogs!
TheHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:38 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Different cable types. The regular cable is USB. HDMI is HDMI. It'd be like trying to plug your trailer's power cord into the cable outlet.
10-4
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:41 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
It should be possible, but probably not the way you're thinking. It won't play over standard USB. If you have an iPhone, you need their 'Digital AV Adapter' to hook your phone up to HDMI:

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/produc...apter?fnode=97

You would then connect an HDMI cable to the back of the TV, just like you would for a DVD player or a cable box or something like that.

If it's a different brand phone, you'll need the equivalent type of adapter. I have this one for my DW's Samsung S6, but I've heard it doesn't work with the newer phones:

https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mo...t-h10fauweguj/
We use the first one with our iPhone or iPad. Works great! We have used it at church and used it on my BILs tv. We use it on our bedroom tv and our camper tv. We were able to get rid of our bedroom DirecTV box. As long as you have Wifi, you are good. It’s so easy that we, who are not techy can do it!

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:55 PM   #25

Thanks all! I have a Samsung, not iPhone but saw a few Samsung replies here. Just got to our campsite today so busy unpacking and just reading now. Will go over all the stuff here with hubby to figure it out. And yes I was talking audio and video feed. And no smart TV.
Oh...and its a Samsung 8+. I think that's my phone. Haha
LisaMarie81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:09 PM   #26
jkoenig24

Yes
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:24 PM   #27
Bill & Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie81 View Post
Thanks all! I have a Samsung, not iPhone but saw a few Samsung replies here. Just got to our campsite today so busy unpacking and just reading now. Will go over all the stuff here with hubby to figure it out. And yes I was talking audio and video feed. And no smart TV.
Oh...and its a Samsung 8+. I think that's my phone. Haha
At Best Buy you can get a Fire Stick or the ScreenBeamMini2 (I've use both before replacing old tv with a larger smart tv. Now if I was only as smart as the tv). They plug in to the HDMI port. It is direct wifi from phone to either. Then enjoy your Direct TV with the Smart View on the phone.
km5xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:26 PM   #28

I have tried more than one, best to get the Samsung branded one for the 8+. Make sure it charges too!

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:00 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by km5xa View Post
My Samsung Note 5 goes straight to the Samsun smart tv with out a router.
Hmm
Both my phone and tv both errored to no wifi found without the router
keegantimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:27 PM   #30

As someone stated above, streaming of any kind really uses lots of data. Even if you have a "unlimited data" plan, you will run out of "high speed" data somewhere around 15GB to 22GB usage/month depending on your provider. Once you use 15-22GB and they drop your data speed, you will find that streaming or mirroring will be hit and miss at best. The "unlimited data" plans are, IMHO, very misleading as they tend to be telling you--stream all you wish as long as you have our "unlimited plan"! Those of us that must use our phones HOT SPOT for internet connection, know this is just not the case!!!!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:59 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
As someone stated above, streaming of any kind really uses lots of data. Even if you have a "unlimited data" plan, you will run out of "high speed" data somewhere around 15GB to 22GB usage/month depending on your provider. Once you use 15-22GB and they drop your data speed, you will find that streaming or mirroring will be hit and miss at best. The "unlimited data" plans are, IMHO, very misleading as they tend to be telling you--stream all you wish as long as you have our "unlimited plan"! Those of us that must use our phones HOT SPOT for internet connection, know this is just not the case!!!!
ahh, that is right, WHEN YOU USE THE PHONE AS A HOTSPOT! However, these HDMI connections don't do that. They display the screen contents on the TV. As such, many plans have unlimited streaming of SD or even HD to the phone. Bandwidth for this streaming is not included in the bandwidth caps and limits.

Best deal if you can make it work.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:38 PM   #32
Bill & Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by keegantimber View Post
Hmm
Not sure why it doesn't work for you. I don't have a router in the motor home. Also my daughter uses the smart view to cast to her Philips tv and she doesn't have a router. She has no internet but her phone.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:53 PM   #33
Living the Dream

I found the exact name on Amazon.
It is called a Mirror Cast Dongle $17.99. I'm not savvy enough to post a picture from my phone.

Go Hogs!
TheHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:37 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie81 View Post
I apologize in advance, I did search for this answer here and other threads. IF this has been covered, I'd love a link!

My question is how can I play my cell phone video THROUGH my TV. We have Direct TV and the full football package which also allows us to play games on our phones too, but 90% of the time we camp in places that don't have a cable hook up so we don't ever use our TV. With that said, now that football season is underway we'd like to watch the games.
If I play the game through my phone and connect my phone through my audio system which is connected to the TV in our type of rig will it play through the TV?
We have a Rockwood ROO 233S and there is a USB input area.

Anyone with any experience with this appreciated! Thanks!

I have a LG G5, the process should be similar on the Samsung
Go to 'Settings' - 'Networks' - 'Share & Connect' - 'Screen Sharing', enable Screen Sharing and click 'search' or wait til the phone finds the TV (this should work when the TV is compatible or you have dongle). You have to select 'Screen Mirroring' under 'Sources' on the TV obviously.
Plug in your phone charger and enjoy.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:26 PM   #35

Screenmirroring is the best way. LG calls it miracast but it is the same thing as screen mirroring and built into Android since 4.2 I believe.

Full instructions with or without smarttv.
https://www.technipages.com/lg-g5-ho...d-mirror-to-tv

It uses wifi direct so should not require data access if playing content locally from your phone. Some apps block output to prevent rebroadcasting because content agreements (movie and TV studios) suck so they cannot support it but most will if they can and it will even depend on what you play within an app. It may tax your phone a bit if trying to stream and mirror but it does work. Data charges do apply when streaming but only once.

The reason why cables vary in terms of if they work or not on different android devices is OEMs realized it was not an often used feature once screen mirroring was incorporated into Android and it was cheaper to remove the chip that supported video out from the phone. You could add the chip to a dock (dex or hdmi adaptor) and only those that use the feature pay for the hardware. Also the pinouts changed from phone to phone as well which meant you need different connectors for different phones for it to work and it got confusing fast.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:35 PM   #36
Bill & Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by keegantimber View Post
Hmm
A question. What type of tv do you have? The direct cast works for my Samsung and daughters Phillips tvs. But I tried an experiment on the LG in the bed room. And it would not work. Has to go through the router. Glad I replaced my tv in the Georgetown with a smaller version of the Samsung at home.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:21 PM   #37

I use this and it works fantastic.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/actiont...?skuId=5637023

The only drawback is that if you have Apple products, it wont work.
jaymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:41 PM   #38
RML

Oops, I’m surprised that there are no replies yet! Yes I went to Best Buy and got a cord to go from my phone to tv. I wanted to test it last weekend but our campsite couldn’t even get phone service... but we could watch Netflix downloads and tv downloads that we had before we went UNDER😎
RML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:14 AM   #39

Yes you can play your phone through your tv. However not Directv. For some reason they don’t let the picture through. You will get sound only. With dish you will get both. And Netflix and other apps work well also.
fpo1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:24 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymz View Post
I use this and it works fantastic.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/actiont...?skuId=5637023

The only drawback is that if you have Apple products, it wont work.
For that price, why not use a roku stick? Way more features and I believe you can use iphone with it (I have a galaxy) it works great to cast via wifi direct.