Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2018, 05:58 PM   #21
Dahagen
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cascade Idaho
Posts: 530
If you are on AC, just buy a trouble light with an old incandescent bulb (not LED) and run it into your outside compartment with water controls and leave it on.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:15 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahagen View Post
If you are on AC, just buy a trouble light with an old incandescent bulb (not LED) and run it into your outside compartment with water controls and leave it on.
Its a travel trailer

The majority of the water pipes are inside. Those that are not are under the trailer. Not in a compartment.
quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:24 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,502
Just wire power to the blower motor directly using a relayed switch. Very easy to do it and won't involve much work. I'm actually thinking about doing this mod myself so I can circulate air when I'm using an electric heater and my portable propane heater at the same time.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:51 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Port Charlotte Fl/Hinsdale Ma
Posts: 4,823
after you have gone thru all the trouble to make this work consider the temp of the air you are trying to suck into the fan and move it to duct work and the fact that it has to heat up the ducts to have enough to transfer heat to your belly area. Do you really think there's a chance this will work?? You'll be better off to run your furnace. It would probably work for cool air in the trailer. IMHO
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:14 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 5,974
Next time I am in the MH exercising the Generator I will try to run fan without heat !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:21 AM   #26
Site Team
 
Mr. Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grayson County, Texas
Posts: 18,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Next time I am in the MH exercising the Generator I will try to run fan without heat !!!

Right... and don't forget to report back. If your experiment works, please post a pic of your thermostat settings.
__________________
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115; Booked for 2022 = 41
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:37 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 5,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Right... and don't forget to report back. If your experiment works, please post a pic of your thermostat settings.
I will report back !!!
Don't think I know how to post photos,,, have tried in the past with no luck !!!
I know our thermostat is digital,,, and has fan settings of On - Off & Auto ???
It is Black,,, Standard 2013 Thermostat I believe !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:41 AM   #28
Site Team
 
Mr. Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grayson County, Texas
Posts: 18,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I will report back !!!
Don't think I know how to post photos,,, have tried in the past with no luck !!!
I know our thermostat is digital,,, and has fan settings of On - Off & Auto ???
It is Black,,, Standard 2013 Thermostat I believe !!!
If your thermostat is like the majority of ours, your FAN settings control the blower in your ceiling mounted air conditioner and doesn't have any effect on the furnace blower.

For tried and true instructions for posting pics here, see post #7 in this thread ===> http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...sics-6778.html.
__________________
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115; Booked for 2022 = 41
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:09 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 5,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
If your thermostat is like the majority of ours, your FAN settings control the blower in your ceiling mounted air conditioner and doesn't have any effect on the furnace blower.

For tried and true instructions for posting pics here, see post #7 in this thread ===> http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...sics-6778.html.
Your probably right Dan !!!
Sure the way it should work !!!
LOL !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:12 AM   #30
Site Team
 
Mr. Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grayson County, Texas
Posts: 18,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Your probably right Dan !!!
Sure the way it should work !!!
LOL !!!
Right... operative word is SHOULD!
__________________
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115; Booked for 2022 = 41
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:17 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 5,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Right... operative word is SHOULD!
I thought maybe we could turn Furnace on,,, set it @ the temp in our units,,, like if it were 60 set it @ 60 or 61,,, then when the furnace comes on,,, set the fan on,,, not auto !!! Guess I was dreaming ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:44 AM   #32
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 13,579
The fan in the furnace is controlled by the furnace control board. It has many built in safety features as you do not want the furnace running with the fan off. With manually modifying ( adding a bypass switch) you will not be able to run the fan from the thermostat.
__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:48 PM   #33
50 Year, 12 RV's
 
Johnfort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 819
I installed a 10 amp switch with 14 awg wire between the power and blower terminals on the board of my Suburban 20K furnace. One terminal goes to the blower and the other terminal goes to power. It works PERFECTLY. One thing to note is, if you are in the blower "on" mode, the normal furnace mode won't work. You have to turn the blower "on" mode off, then it works normally.

I spent HOURS of frustrating time messing with relays, switches etc., but could not get the burner to come on in the blower "on" mode.

It did, however, accomplish what you are trying to do.

If anyone has a working mod that lets the furnace burner come on and go off with the stat, I'd love to try it.
__________________
2021 Rockwood 2511S (On order)
2018 Rockwood 2304KS
2020 GMC 1500 6.2L
Johnfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:58 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnfort View Post
I installed a 10 amp switch with 14 awg wire between the power and blower terminals on the board of my Suburban 20K furnace. One terminal goes to the blower and the other terminal goes to power. It works PERFECTLY. One thing to note is, if you are in the blower "on" mode, the normal furnace mode won't work. You have to turn the blower "on" mode off, then it works normally.

I spent HOURS of frustrating time messing with relays, switches etc., but could not get the burner to come on in the blower "on" mode.

It did, however, accomplish what you are trying to do.

If anyone has a working mod that lets the furnace burner come on and go off with the stat, I'd love to try it.
I haven't played with my furnace first-hand. However, I believe the attached will work as you want, if your furnace is wired as I think it is. It looks like you should have +12VDC to the furnace continuously, with the power to the T-stat coming off that; so you can use that for the "continuous +12VDC you'll need. See page 31 in the attached service manual.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Suggested furnace blower relay.pdf (91.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: pdf Suburban Furnace Service Manual.pdf (4.92 MB, 49 views)
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:08 PM   #35
50 Year, 12 RV's
 
Johnfort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 819
One of several versions I tried with no joy.
__________________
2021 Rockwood 2511S (On order)
2018 Rockwood 2304KS
2020 GMC 1500 6.2L
Johnfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:10 PM   #36
50 Year, 12 RV's
 
Johnfort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 819
It looks totally right on paper but not in real life.
__________________
2021 Rockwood 2511S (On order)
2018 Rockwood 2304KS
2020 GMC 1500 6.2L
Johnfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:21 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnfort View Post
It looks totally right on paper but not in real life.
What about wiring it so it is turned off when the thermostat commands the heat on?
quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:57 PM   #38
50 Year, 12 RV's
 
Johnfort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 819
That would turn on the blower just like an aux switch, but would either have the burner on all the time, or require a gas valve off switch. I want full blower, and burner off and on with the stat.
__________________
2021 Rockwood 2511S (On order)
2018 Rockwood 2304KS
2020 GMC 1500 6.2L
Johnfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:44 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 420
What I’m saying is using a normally open relay controlled by a switch to bypass the control board and supply power to the blower.

Then using a normally closed relay that is controlled off the the thermostat heat command to the furnace. This relay switches the command to the other relay.

So it would have a manually controlled blower on switch that as soon as the thermostat commands the heat on it goes back to unmodified as far as the furnace is concerned.
quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:46 PM   #40
50 Year, 12 RV's
 
Johnfort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 819
Hmmmmmm
__________________
2021 Rockwood 2511S (On order)
2018 Rockwood 2304KS
2020 GMC 1500 6.2L
Johnfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
furnace

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 AM.