Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2021, 12:35 AM   #61
NXR

Can this really be correct on my fridge?

Quote:
Yes we are always interested in how problems get resolved. The area above our fridge was completely open as well I put foam insulation in and created a baffle out of Luwan plywood and sealed it so no hot air could go in that area. The hot air has to go out the vent.
So was ours. I put a carbon monoxide detector above the fridge doors because it's a handy place. The thing freaked out when the propane burner fired up or when there was a breeze blowing against the slide with the fridge in it.

Ray
Old 02-19-2021, 10:51 AM   #62

No joy. On to the next idea. Iím gonna figure out how to disconnect the thermistor and see what happens. GRRRRRRR
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:16 PM   #63

Iím tired of looking at the picture of the deepest darkest depths of my fridge. Hereís something a little better. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6076.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	477.5 KB
ID:	248046
Old 02-25-2021, 03:09 PM   #64

I have finally found a guy in Sumter, SC who is a certified Dometic service technician. I hope we can get together this coming Sunday. Iíve narrowed the problem down to poor airflow and poorly-installed insulation. Today has warmed up to the 70s. The factory fans are running nicely now. The freezer is at a chilly 2*. Same thing happened yesterday. I bet the fans will stop later this afternoon and the freezer will warm up to a balmy 32*. Hopefully this guy can get me some good airflow and properly insulate around the fridge.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:31 AM   #65

I was right. Freezer temp is up to 30 now. The high today is supposed to be 61 and cloudy. I doubt the freezer will drop much today without the fans running.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:35 AM   #66

So if the freezer is up to 30 degrees what is the temperature in the refrigerator?
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:17 AM   #67

Can this really be correct on my fridge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVWulp View Post
So if the freezer is up to 30 degrees what is the temperature in the refrigerator?
I havenít checked the fridge today. It seems to stay in the low 40s without the factory fans running. It was at 37 yesterday with them running.
And in new news, the freezer is now 5 without the fans running. It went from 30 to 5 in 6 hours without the factory fans running. Jeepers. Just when I think Iíve got it all figured out, I donít.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:07 PM   #68

The freezer is now 2*. The fridge is 36*. Fans not running.
Old 02-28-2021, 04:28 PM   #69

I have an update for yíall. I just paid a guy $75 to confirm what yíallíve (howís that for a double contraction?) been telling me. All of the components are working the way theyíre supposed to work. Heís absolutely convinced I need more airflow since itís in a slide out. Heís gonna install some lauan above the freezer and reposition the fans I installed to direct the air as straight out of the vent as possible. Heíll be here Thursday to install it. In the end, Iím afraid we wonít get 0* year-round even after he does the installation. But I do feel things will be better.
The factory fans are running now and the freezer is 0*. Wish me luck!
P.S. If I were handier I could probably do the work myself. My funeral directing and photographic experience havenít really prepared me for this.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:28 AM   #70

Todayís update... My guy installed a barrier between the insulation that I added above the freezer and removed the extra fans I installed. The freezer seems to be staying somewhat colder but stays the coldest when the factory fans come on. My guy told me to reinstall two of the three fans I bought.
Iím getting tired of this. My wife is tired of hearing about it.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:54 AM   #71

Does this look ok the way I attached the fan? I attached 2 and pulled the zip ties tight. I donít want to cause problems by attaching it directly to the pipe.
Thanks!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8753.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	340.8 KB
ID:	250882
Old 03-31-2021, 03:41 PM   #72

I attached 3 fans in a row like yours to the bottom of the cooling fins and put the tie raps up though the condenser fins and around the tubing in the coil. This way the air had no choice but to go through the condenser.
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:39 PM   #73
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWood422 View Post
Does this look ok the way I attached the fan? I attached 2 and pulled the zip ties tight. I don’t want to cause problems by attaching it directly to the pipe.
Thanks!Attachment 250882
It should work but I would be concerned that the movement caused by vibration could wear into that tube if it is aluminum.

Since it's been a while I quickly scanned through the thread to refresh my memory. In the picture you attached to post #37 it looks like there is a baffle missing. I attached a picture from the service manual for the other Dometic refrigerators showing how and where the baffle is located (inside red square).

The installations of refrigerators with both vents on the side wall are supposed to have a baffle installed at an angle just above the lower vent. The purpose of the baffle is to force the rising air up through the zig-zag tubing. It is not supposed to touch the tubing.

Why the DMR702 refrigerator isn't included in the Dometic service manual is beyond me as all the absorption refrigerators work the same and the DMR702 is similar to others covered in it. On top of that there doesn't seem to be a service manual for your model. I've attached the Dometic Refrigerator Service Manual in case your interested. The attached photo is on pages 21 & 22.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Side Vent Baffle 2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	250919  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DometicRefrigeratorServiceManual.pdf (2.42 MB, 6 views)
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:59 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
It should work but I would be concerned that the movement caused by vibration could wear into that tube if it is aluminum.

Since it's been a while I quickly scanned through the thread to refresh my memory. In the picture you attached to post #37 it looks like there is a baffle missing. I attached a picture from the service manual for the other Dometic refrigerators showing how and where the baffle is located (inside red square).

The installations of refrigerators with both vents on the side wall are supposed to have a baffle installed at an angle just above the lower vent. The purpose of the baffle is to force the rising air up through the zig-zag tubing. It is not supposed to touch the tubing.

Why the DMR702 refrigerator isn't included in the Dometic service manual is beyond me as all the absorption refrigerators work the same and the DMR702 is similar to others covered in it. On top of that there doesn't seem to be a service manual for your model. I've attached the Dometic Refrigerator Service Manual in case your interested. The attached photo is on pages 21 & 22.
Thanks for the explanation on the baffle. Someone mentioned a baffle in a previous response but I didnít understand where it was supposed to be. It appears that all I have to do now is figure out exactly how to access that area to install one. At this point, moving the fridge from the inside of the trailer seems like a pretty daunting task. Maybe my mobile guy will feel up to it. (Heís not the easiest person to catch up with.)
Old 04-01-2021, 08:08 AM   #75

I just reread the asterisk explanation of dimension D and the necessity of the baffle. It says itís to increase efficiency during warm weather. Mine works great in warm weather. Itís the cooler weather that decreases efficiency. HRUMPH!
Old 04-09-2021, 11:05 AM   #76

Now that the weather is warmer the fans come on more often. They were even running last night at 10:00. The freezer was 2*. I still havenít installed the baffle just above the lower vent. Hopefully soon.

Tags
fridge