Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2021, 11:40 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Forester View Post
flugelboneman: I might add another reality that we have experienced using CG supplied WiFi in more than one "State/County/Municipal" run CG. These IT folks who setup and monitor the park's WiFi simply "BLOCK" all the TV streaming services from being accessed via WiFi. All they need is a list of sites and presto, I could not even access YouTube. Some "filters" are so sophisticated that you can't even sneak past them trying to use a VPN bouncing out of Sweden.
The ROKU don't get the HULU........... Just hits an electronic brick wall...
I CANNOT WAIT FOR Mobile STARLINK!!!!
It’s probably going to be a long wait for Starlink. Some say mobile Starlink will never happen but I’m sure Musk and gang will solve the problem presented by those pesky trees. There’s way too much money in “in motion Starlink” not to make it viable.

I helped my neighbor set up his Starlink system. Very easy install except for the unbelievable hassle of getting around all the trees to get a good signal.
Old 06-21-2021, 07:41 AM   #42

PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankraney View Post
It must be really remote and popular. 3-400 people? Where is this at?
Answered by Private Message.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:31 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
The campground is pretty remote. While there is cellphone coverage (perhaps a single tower), it gets saturated pretty quickly on the weekends. People then switch to Wi-Fi (open, no password required), and saturate that.
Larry, got the info...

What they can do to eliminate the problem is get an internet provider that will put several links in and then charge the users that need to stream accordingly. I have been to a lot of parks that do this. They have a day fee, week Fe, and monthly fee. Then they put mini towers everywhere. I would guess they will need at least three systems, that's a pretty big place.

Sound like you go the a lot.... Give them this link.

https://www.signalconnect.com/our-services/get-wi-fi-for-rv-parks/?gclid=CjwKCAjw8cCGBhB6EiwAgOReyxI3VlX71HZsO6WoHD9 Xv_NGijdqLwKz-jqp9M3GZ7GpKacd3_xDDBoCdIEQAvD_BwE
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 12:41 PM   #44

Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankraney View Post
Larry, got the info...

What they can do to eliminate the problem is get an internet provider that will put several links in and then charge the users that need to stream accordingly. I have been to a lot of parks that do this. They have a day fee, week Fe, and monthly fee. Then they put mini towers everywhere. I would guess they will need at least three systems, that's a pretty big place.

Sound like you go the a lot.... Give them this link.

https://www.signalconnect.com/our-se...BoCdIEQAvD_BwE
The owner is pretty sensitive about this--might be best to keep my nose out of it. He has the highest bandwidth service that Spectrum has available. He has three dispersed antennae on different channels, most likely 2.4 GHz channels 1, 6, and 11. They do in-packet inspection and block any video and music streaming content.

The biggest issue I had (note past tense) with it is that some "expert" told him he should have no more than 90 users at a time (I think this is 90 per antenna/channel). If a new user attempts to open a connection, the user with the longest inactivity is bounced. (These are serious routers, not home-quality units.) I circumvented this with a script to ping a remote location once every couple of seconds to keep the connection alive. DW was not content with this and simply got an individual cable contract for us.

Still think the problem would not have occurred--especially the inactivity bounces--if the Apple devices weren't so chatty.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:38 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
The problem is due to ignorant and inconsiderate users who don't realize that their phones/tablets are transferring data ALL the time. The devices are doing updates, backing up photos to the cloud, checking email and voicemail, and pinging cell towers continuously, even if the phone is not being handled at all.

People who don't turn their phones and tablets off when not in use in this concentrated environment are electronic slobs.
And I think you are being a bit harsh. Devices don't transfer data ALL of the time. Yes, occasionally a device will update, and yes it MAY upload a photo or 2, but not all devices are doing this all the time. Even when this does happen you are not HOGGING bandwidth, you are competing for it.

Also - pinging a cell tower has nothing to do with WiFi bandwidth.
rwriley1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 12:16 PM   #46

External Hard Drives

Has any ever used an external hard drive and downloaded a bunch of movies to watch while camping? Seems like a 500 gig or 1 Terra bite hard drive would hold a lot of your favorite shows downloaded from Netflix or whatever.
RicnVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 12:44 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicnVic View Post
Has any ever used an external hard drive and downloaded a bunch of movies to watch while camping? Seems like a 500 gig or 1 Terra bite hard drive would hold a lot of your favorite shows downloaded from Netflix or whatever.
All the time. Short story is I use Plex Media Server and then any of my devices on my network can stream from it. I have a 4TB drive.

Long story - When I had motorhomes and space was not at a premium, I built a tiny little PC and ran PMS (Plex Media Server) on that. Now that space IS a premium, I have an Nvidia Shield Pro on my main TV which also acts as my "smart TV" device just like a Roku or Amazon Fire TV. The main difference is the NVidia can run PMS and act as my server also. I have a very small 4TB laptop drive plugged into one of its USB ports - because I had it laying around. If I were buying parts I would just get the largest USB stick I could find and use that. I've been doing this for many years and it's great. I don't have to depend on good wifi or 4G signal, I can watch movies anywhere I camp.
Old 09-03-2021, 01:16 PM   #48

I do the same thing. I record movies off dish TV onto my laptop. It takes a usb tv adapter, a TV app - I use Arcsoft TotalMedia3. If I need to convert the file type for my tv I use Handbrake. All are free programs. The USB TV adapter is usually about $20 and often comes with the TV recording software. I often add the movies to itunes and watch them on my tablet when travelling on planes, too. You can also use handbrake to copy DVD's, too.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable