Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2021, 03:08 PM   #21

Thank you!
imscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 03:15 PM   #22

Cable and Smart TV two different techs

Your smart TV is to allow you to "stream" video similar to cable via a WIFI connection provided that you have a strong WIFI signal and have paid for access to the streaming video providers on the internet. This is not a cable connection... and most RV Park WIFI connections are not capable of providing enough throughput to allow you to "stream" video on thier platform or if you are lucky enough to get it to work no one else in the park will have internet as you have used all of the bandwidth available.
New2aBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 03:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by imscott View Post
Hi, what is the spectrum smarty tv app?
You have to be a subscriber of Spectrum Cable and your phone has to have a data or WiFi signal good enough to stream video. In many campgrounds, neither is available.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 03:57 PM   #24

Quote:
I have the spectrum app on our Ipad and to date if I can get Wifi our use my hotspot I can get cable. But Its cable light as I don't get the channels I get at home. Out of my area I get a basic cable which is a lot better than the free stuff off the antenna. Yes that was a problem at the Myakka campground in Florida. No cell nor Wifi. Kind of like camping in the old days. We listened to satellite radio. OBTW looked at the stars.

Tony, and Vicky
fenton04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 05:11 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton04 View Post
I have the spectrum app on our Ipad and to date if I can get Wifi our use my hotspot I can get cable. But Its cable light as I don't get the channels I get at home. Out of my area I get a basic cable which is a lot better than the free stuff off the antenna. Yes that was a problem at the Myakka campground in Florida. No cell nor Wifi. Kind of like camping in the old days. We listened to satellite radio. OBTW looked at the stars.
Our Dish Anywhere app allows us access to all our home channels, including the premium channels. No Dish Lite.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Our Dish Anywhere app allows us access to all our home channels, including the premium channels. No Dish Lite.
We have the same results with E-books!

Tony, and Vicky
fenton04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:56 AM   #27

Quote:
The one we use is embedded in the Roku streaming stick we bought from Amazon. It has lots of different service apps you can connect to. We currently use Spectrum, Apple TV, HBO, Disney, Hulu and Netflix I think. Some of those are shared subscriptions by the way.
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
FROG #TX-0132-336
--
KeithQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:18 PM   #28

Use your phone as a wifi hotspot. Pair with your TV.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:38 PM   #29

Hi! We have a smart tv in our rv also-it doesn’t have wifi so we plug an Amazon Firestick into it, which connects to the internet. I have been pleasantly surprised to find GREAT wifi at the last 2 campgrounds we stayed at-they didn’t even have cable hookups at the campsites. When we don’t get good wifi I use my phone as a hotspot-with 125gb/mo X2 (wife’s phone) we’ve never run out of data, even while “camp streaming”.
junior1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:27 PM   #30

Yes, maybe

The short answer is yes. The longer answer is that you must subscribe to a service like Netflix, Sling, Hulu, Amazon Prime, or one of the other streaming services. Your smart TV may have those apps built in or the ability to download them. You will then connect to the park wifi through the app, so it is not traditional "cable" tv.

If your tv does not have the apps or can't download, then you need an additional device that will let you download. I have used both Apple TV and Roku, never used a Firestick or one of the others. I am most happy with the Apple TV. You spend the money once and enjoy your media.

You may also be able to download the streaming apps to your smart phone and then stream that feed to your TV, saving the cost of the extra device.

Of course the assumption is that your TV has wifi capability, if not you have to use one of the devices above and connect it to your TV.
BigHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:26 PM   #31

One of the things Smart TVs have a problem with is "Captive Portals". Sometimes campgrounds require you to agree to terms or enter another password. Roku and/or travel routers have a workaround for that.
rwriley1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:05 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by flugelboneman View Post
Here is the question: I have a smart TV in the RV. Everywhere we go we must get a cable box from the park office, pay your deposit, go through the machinations of hooking it up. This is repeated in every park, IF they have cable boxes. Is there any way when the park offers Wi-fi that your smart TV can receive a cable signal without the cable box. This could be a Canadian problem, as we have noted in many American parks they still have the standard coax hookup where you connect the cable to an outside post and you have reception without a cable box.
There is a system that RV parks could get called CheckBox. Woodalls did a whole article on it a few years ago. We've only stayed in one park that had it and it was awesome. Lightening fast. I wish more parks would get this system. You can google it and read about it.
desuhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:37 PM   #33

Quote:
At last a voice from the wilderness. Perhaps I do not explain myself. I have a smart TV. The park has Wifi. My question is: will the "smart TV" hook up to the wifi, thereby allowing me to download cable or watch TV throught the wifi. I have heard that people actually download movies from the park wifi, which will often overload the wifi capabilities of the park. I do not wish to do this, but what I would love to learn how to do is make the wifi connection with the smart tv and not have to bother with a cable box.
Almost all parks have internet that is not capable of doing this they do not have the bandwidth. Those that do charge extra for the internet you pay daily weekly or monthly then you can stream because you pay for the bandwidth. If you don't pay extra you cannot stream because you'll be too many people on it and it'll slow it way down and no one else can use it bandwidth is the problem.
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:39 PM   #34

Quote:
Here is the question: I have a smart TV in the RV. Everywhere we go we must get a cable box from the park office, pay your deposit, go through the machinations of hooking it up. This is repeated in every park, IF they have cable boxes. Is there any way when the park offers Wi-fi that your smart TV can receive a cable signal without the cable box. This could be a Canadian problem, as we have noted in many American parks they still have the standard coax hookup where you connect the cable to an outside post and you have reception without a cable box.

I have never been to an RV park that I had to use a cable box not even in Canada. All I've ever done is hook up a coax cable to their fitting into mine and scan the channels.
Old 06-18-2021, 08:14 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
One note about Dish network costs. If you are a home subscriber already with Dish, you can add a mobile package for $7 a month, billed only when your RV antenna and receiver are activated in that month.

So if you take one trip, set up your satellite antenna up, run your coax, turn on and 'wake up' your receiver for your one weekend trip, you pay 7.00 that month. If you use it 29 times for a month long stay somewhere, you pay 7.00 a month (extra, added to your home bill).
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
FROG #TX-0132-336
--
KeithQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 07:26 PM   #36

Not exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post
X2 - normally park-provided WiFi is pathetic at best...unbearable at worst.
That's not the real problem. The bandwidth at most parks would be more than adequate except for one thing. (The available bandwidth at the campground where the 38P is permanently sited is huge.)

The problem is due to ignorant and inconsiderate users who don't realize that their phones/tablets are transferring data ALL the time. The devices are doing updates, backing up photos to the cloud, checking email and voicemail, and pinging cell towers continuously, even if the phone is not being handled at all.

People who don't turn their phones and tablets off when not in use in this concentrated environment are electronic slobs.

By design, Apple products seem to be much worse data hogs than competitive products. Remember how they took the AT&T networks down when first introduced?
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:05 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
That's not the real problem. The bandwidth at most parks would be more than adequate except for one thing. (The available bandwidth at the campground where the 38P is permanently sited is huge.)

The problem is due to ignorant and inconsiderate users who don't realize that their phones/tablets are transferring data ALL the time. The devices are doing updates, backing up photos to the cloud, checking email and voicemail, and pinging cell towers continuously, even if the phone is not being handled at all.

People who don't turn their phones and tablets off when not in use in this concentrated environment are electronic slobs.

By design, Apple products seem to be much worse data hogs than competitive products. Remember how they took the AT&T networks down when first introduced?

Not entirely true. Phones and tablets DO NOT USE THE PARKS WIIFII, unless you connect it to the parks WIIFII, which is unnecessary because cell phones use cell phone towers, not park Wiifii. I never turn on Wiifii on my phone unless for some reason I do not have phone coverage, which is VERY seldom.
Old 06-20-2021, 08:17 PM   #38

Camping downtown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankraney View Post
Not entirely true. Phones and tablets DO NOT USE THE PARKS WIIFII, unless you connect it to the parks WIIFII, which is unnecessary because cell phones use cell phone towers, not park Wiifii. I never turn on Wiifii on my phone unless for some reason I do not have phone coverage, which is VERY seldom.
The campground is pretty remote. While there is cellphone coverage (perhaps a single tower), it gets saturated pretty quickly on the weekends. People then switch to Wi-Fi (open, no password required), and saturate that.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:37 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
The campground is pretty remote. While there is cellphone coverage (perhaps a single tower), it gets saturated pretty quickly on the weekends. People then switch to Wi-Fi (open, no password required), and saturate that.
It must be really remote and popular. 3-400 people? Where is this at?
Old 06-20-2021, 09:42 PM   #40

flugelboneman: I might add another reality that we have experienced using CG supplied WiFi in more than one "State/County/Municipal" run CG. These IT folks who setup and monitor the park's WiFi simply "BLOCK" all the TV streaming services from being accessed via WiFi. All they need is a list of sites and presto, I could not even access YouTube. Some "filters" are so sophisticated that you can't even sneak past them trying to use a VPN bouncing out of Sweden.
The ROKU don't get the HULU........... Just hits an electronic brick wall...
I CANNOT WAIT FOR Mobile STARLINK!!!!
Old Forester is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable