Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2016, 09:27 AM   #1

Carbon Monoxide Detector

Anybody notice that the C.O. Detector hates it when your off the grid and your TT battery gets really low? That's the only reason I can figure out for the CO detector beeping Upon investigation the light on the detector was indicating a malfunction. Happened every time the TT battery got low - once I charged up the battery it has happy again. Always happened in the middle of the night! I'm hoping I've identified the problem and it's not something else.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:37 AM   #2

low battery = CO/LP detector chirping.......normal operation...
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsnTexas View Post
Anybody notice that the C.O. Detector hates it when your off the grid and your TT battery gets really low? That's the only reason I can figure out for the CO detector beeping Upon investigation the light on the detector was indicating a malfunction. Happened every time the TT battery got low - once I charged up the battery it has happy again. Always happened in the middle of the night! I'm hoping I've identified the problem and it's not something else.
I think you are talking about your propane detector which operates off the trailer battery and yes, it is designed to warn of a low battery condition.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:41 AM   #4
Site Team

The CO/Propane detector is designed to alarm if the battery gets low. It is a safety feature to alert you to the fact that the supplied voltage is too low to adequately protect you should there be CO or propane. If this is occurring often while boonedocking, you may need to reassess your battery capacity/charging set up. Continually discharging your battery(s) too low will shorten their usable life. Look at adding another battery, larger capacity battery or solar.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:42 AM   #5
clr

Most carbon Monoxide detectors just like your smoke detectors in your home will beep when the battery that powers them becomes to low to reliably have the detector operate properly. I would say as an aside that if this is happening very often you are being way to hard on your battery. That is to say discharge below the 50% point. So you are drastically shortening the life of your battery.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:20 AM   #6

As an aside to this thread, I’m not a fan of the combination CO/Propane detectors. Propane is heavier than air and the gas will settle low to the floor so the detector should be placed low to the floor. CO is neutral density and is produced by combustion so it will usually rise with the warm air produced during combustion. The CO detector should be higher on the wall.

Propane has an odor and your nose will tell you if you have a leak…if you’re awake. CO is odorless and quite deadly. I’m not a fan of the combination detectors.

One more thing, these detectors have a test button and should be tested periodically through the camping season. At the start of every RV season I replace the batteries in the smoke detector and the CO detector. As I mentioned the propane detector works from the trailer’s battery.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 02:07 PM   #7

Great info - thanks. My previous camper's detector never once made a single chirp except when power was shut on/off.