Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2022, 08:08 PM   #41

The best advice I can give, if the cost doesn't scare you away, is to go with Starlink internet. It's $500 initial cost for the equipment and $110/month for service, but you can take it anywhere and not have to worry about availability of cell service. It far outperforms "traditional" satellite internet providers and will only get better as they continue to launch additional satellites. Then you can simply use wifi calling with your cell.
2021: 26 nights 2022: 26 nights 2023: 24 nights
SRP09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 09:04 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRP09 View Post
The best advice I can give, if the cost doesn't scare you away, is to go with Starlink internet. It's $500 initial cost for the equipment and $110/month for service, but you can take it anywhere and not have to worry about availability of cell service. It far outperforms "traditional" satellite internet providers and will only get better as they continue to launch additional satellites. Then you can simply use wifi calling with your cell.
As far as the RV community is concerned the major (really major) problem with Starlink is trees. Just like Dish and DTV satellite television one must have a completely clear signal between the Dishy antenna and the satellite being used. More most of us camp in very woodsy (is that a word??) campgrounds.

I know one person near me who got the Starlink service and he raves about it. I've connected to his router and saw speeds consistently in the 80-110 mbps range. Getting the service now is like winning the lottery...just about impossible.

Here's some more detailed info about availability.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/sta...their-website/
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 11:07 AM   #43

I battled this at a seasonal campground in rural northwest NJ. We were seasonal and down in a hole where the signal was marginal. Inside the trailer it was useless.

I originally had a Verizon Jetpack with an external antenna (Wilson directional) that worked OK, but upgraded to a WeBoost. I put the Wilson directional on a 20 ft pole on the rear of the trailer and used the coax inside the RV to route the antenna connection from outside to in (I don't use TV antennas or satellite in the trailer). The panel antenna was on the inside and gave us 3-4 bars of good 4G. Enough to stream Netflix and make calls, which was impossible otherwise. Locating the tower to point the external antenna in the right direction was done via a mobile app (I use Network Cell Info).

The last thing I did was swap the Jetpack to a Mofi router. It was simply removing the SIM from the Jetpack and putting it in the Mofi router. The signal from that thing was so strong I had to turn it down as I was interfering with the (worthless) campground wifi signals.

All of this combined was probably an $800 investment, but it made working at that campground functional.
datadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 11:26 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by datadr View Post
I battled this at a seasonal campground in rural northwest NJ. We were seasonal and down in a hole where the signal was marginal. Inside the trailer it was useless.

I originally had a Verizon Jetpack with an external antenna (Wilson directional) that worked OK, but upgraded to a WeBoost. I put the Wilson directional on a 20 ft pole on the rear of the trailer and used the coax inside the RV to route the antenna connection from outside to in (I don't use TV antennas or satellite in the trailer). The panel antenna was on the inside and gave us 3-4 bars of good 4G. Enough to stream Netflix and make calls, which was impossible otherwise. Locating the tower to point the external antenna in the right direction was done via a mobile app (I use Network Cell Info).

The last thing I did was swap the Jetpack to a Mofi router. It was simply removing the SIM from the Jetpack and putting it in the Mofi router. The signal from that thing was so strong I had to turn it down as I was interfering with the (worthless) campground wifi signals.

All of this combined was probably an $800 investment, but it made working at that campground functional.
I agree with the Mofi, they are an enterprise grade unit, I have been using them fir several years. I thought We Boost and Wilson were the same company. I have been using them for years also.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 11:36 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
I agree with the Mofi, they are an enterprise grade unit, I have been using them fir several years. I thought We Boost and Wilson were the same company. I have been using them for years also.

You're correct....WeBoost and Wilson ARE the same company. The "We" in WeBoost stands for Wilson Electronics. I just ordered an external Wilson 25ft telescopic antenna pole that had a Wilson part number. When I received it, the box was stamped with the WeBoost label on it.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 11:39 AM   #46

Correct, same company. WeBoost is the branding for their boosters. Wilson makes all kinds of fun gear :-)

You will notice a huge difference just with the antenna and the height of it.
Old 04-08-2022, 11:40 AM   #47

Quote:

If you don't mind sharing, which Mofi router model did you purchase?
Old 04-08-2022, 11:44 AM   #48
llr

Quote:
Has Starlink removed the "restrictions" on moving to a new location? It was that you had to contact them to move and only could if they had available capacity there, and the same thing when you return. So it at least was possible you could take it from home to a new location and not be able to use it at home again unless capacity became available. This is the main thing holding me back, I don't care about in motion use, just transportable without restrictions.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 12:04 PM   #49

Quote:
Correct, same company. WeBoost is the branding for their boosters. Wilson makes all kinds of fun gear :-)

You will notice a huge difference just with the antenna and the height of it.

I'm looking forward to seeing that difference in performance. I ordered a bunch of mounting hardware, so I've got a couple ways to get an external Pepwave 4 x 4 MIMO antenna well above the RV roof. But, both solutions probably wont go much more than 6 or 7ft above the roofline. This limitation is due to the shorter length 20ft LMR-400 cables I opted to get to extend the 6.5ft cable that comes with the Pepwave. If the cables will allow me to get the antenna up a little further, I'll opt to use the Wilson telescopic pole in lieu of the 8ft PVC pipe.
Old 04-08-2022, 01:11 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
If you don't mind sharing, which Mofi router model did you purchase?
This one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089NYWJYK

MOFI4500-4GXeLTE-SIM7-COMBO 4G/LTE

Works with Verizon right out of the box, and as I said, all I did was pop in the SIM from my Jetpack and it came right up. The reception with this router was better than with the Jetpack.
Old 04-08-2022, 01:13 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing that difference in performance. I ordered a bunch of mounting hardware, so I've got a couple ways to get an external Pepwave 4 x 4 MIMO antenna well above the RV roof. But, both solutions probably wont go much more than 6 or 7ft above the roofline. This limitation is due to the shorter length 20ft LMR-400 cables I opted to get to extend the 6.5ft cable that comes with the Pepwave. If the cables will allow me to get the antenna up a little further, I'll opt to use the Wilson telescopic pole in lieu of the 8ft PVC pipe.
The Mofi works on 12V also. It has a 120V AC adapter but it is 12V to the device. Easy to wire into the 12V side of the RV. I think the Pepwave does the same.
Old 04-11-2022, 07:04 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post
Has Starlink removed the "restrictions" on moving to a new location? It was that you had to contact them to move and only could if they had available capacity there, and the same thing when you return. So it at least was possible you could take it from home to a new location and not be able to use it at home again unless capacity became available. This is the main thing holding me back, I don't care about in motion use, just transportable without restrictions.
Yes they have. A coworker of mine just got his within the last month (after a 9 month wait). He lives in south central PA and was able to take it to Indiana and use it at a friend's house. He had no issues, simply had to set it up and let it go through its initialization process.
2021: 26 nights 2022: 26 nights 2023: 24 nights
SRP09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 09:17 PM   #53

Quote:
Yes they have. A coworker of mine just got his within the last month (after a 9 month wait). He lives in south central PA and was able to take it to Indiana and use it at a friend's house. He had no issues, simply had to set it up and let it go through its initialization process.
I have had mine several months and they have coverage areas on their website.
For me it isn’t all that portable since I have it 35’ up on the ridge peak of the house. If I really needed it bad enough I would have to order a second one and pay double. They just raised their prices too.
My daughter ordered one using my business address and they sent it to her, it does work but occasionally gives a message that the location isn’t served yet.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 10:04 PM   #54

Quote:
... The signal from [the Mofi router] was so strong I had to turn it down as I was interfering with the (worthless) campground wifi signals. ...
You apparently are familiar with that option but others may not be. As a matter of courtesy it's a good idea to turn the transmit power on your router down so as not to interfere with your neighbors in the close proximity of a crowded campground. It needn't be on high since it doesn't have to go very far inside your RV.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, camping