Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2020, 06:14 PM   #1

Central heater blower motor question for electrical guys

Working on 2011 chassis with 2012 Georgetown 320 model. Long story short. The blower motor for the central heater system of the MH When I Checked ohms of blower motor? There is nothing, no resistance shows wide open. I am doubting my self, that this indicates the motor is bad? There should be some Resistance? Right.

I am blowing 15 amp DC fuses, when turning on the thermostat. This all started after the squirrel cage blew completely apart and scattered pieces through out the heating chamber. I put on new cage. After I put it back together ,I tested to make sure it worked, seemed OK? First time out we turned it on, and blows fuse every time.

I now Have heater blower area the area open . Circuit board looks OK, nothing burnt! On and off switch in the box working . motor turns freely. Thinking motor got bound up when the cage blew up!

Surprised how many things on the circuit with only 15 amp fuse. The heater, the refrigerator and the steps are on the circuit, there maybe more?
Thanks for help

Cheers David
Old 03-23-2020, 07:33 PM   #2

you should show continuity though the motor windings couple ohms at most. Also check between the metal frame and the windings, that should show no continuity. You likely have a shorted winding which is the reason for the blown fuse.
Mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:25 PM   #3

Thank you. I was sure it was suppose to have something in ohms.I like to bounce things off of other people to make sure! Looking on Ebay now, for replacement.
Thanks
Old 03-28-2020, 09:19 PM   #4

X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
you should show continuity though the motor windings couple ohms at most. Also check between the metal frame and the windings, that should show no continuity. You likely have a shorted winding which is the reason for the blown fuse.
mad.dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical, heater