Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2017, 07:41 PM   #1

Check light on Refrigerator

Just noticed that the check light is on on my refrigerator is on.... Running on AC and working fine .. Any suggestions?
Bigblueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:45 PM   #2

Check lights are usually associated with the fridge being on gas and there is no gas getting to fridge, or at least not igniting.

Are you sure the gas button is not on?

If it's not, I'd look up the manual for your model of fridge and check it out.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:18 PM   #3

I had just turned the gas on to turn on the water heater... Once we all took showers and turned the gas off the light went off ... I'm new to RVs.. Even tho the fridge is running onAC should I leave the gas on also?
Bigblueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:25 PM   #4

If your fridge has an auto button, use that so it will run on electric when available, and switch to gas when not. The check light should only come on when 110 electric is not available and the gas is off. I would check the settings on the fridge. Auto is the way to go.

We leave our propane on whenever we use the RV.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:07 PM   #5
Retired and Loving Life!

Send a message via MSN to Alan F
[QUOTE=Bigblueoval;1524063]I had just turned the gas on to turn on the water heater... Once we all took showers and turned the gas off the light went off ... I'm new to RVs.. Even tho the fridge is running onAC should I leave the gas on

We leave the gas on and have the refrigerator set to "auto" and run the water heater on electric when connected to shore power. Only use the gas for the stove and burners. With the refrigerator set to auto, it will default to electric when you have shore power.
Alan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:31 AM   #6
Insert witty title here

When the fridge is set to auto and connected to shore power, the check light will come on when there is no propane reaching the fridge. If this light turns on, I know my propane tank is empty and it's time to switch to the other.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblueoval View Post
Just noticed that the check light is on on my refrigerator is on.... Running on AC and working fine .. Any suggestions?

Just a quick thought, if I recall correctly, a fellow camper near us recently had their check light come on after having to remove the frig. to fix a loose wire. We traced it back to a blown 12 volt fuse to the refrigerator. The light was on when in auto mode and running on AC, if I am recalling right. Might be worth a quick look in the fuse block to make sure. Good luck.
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:52 PM   #8

In my sunseeker, the check light means it tried 3 times to fire up on propane and failed. Remedy - turn the fridge to off then back on again. If it still comes on then check further on the propane lighting issue. It has come on several times while I am on the road and always responded after reset.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblueoval View Post

I agree with TryingToLearn on the check light coming on when refrigerator is not getting gas. On all the campers that we've owned, the stove has been beyond the frig, from the propane tanks, and I always make sure gas is to stove and a burner will light first, then the refrigerator will usually light on gas the first time. But before my neighbors problem with the 12 volt supply to his, the blown fuse, I didn't know the check light would come on also. Not sure if all models and makes of refrigerators do this, just my observation.
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:19 AM   #10

This is a bit off topic, but I'm lost. I have a fridge question. I shut down our RV for the summer, disconnected the electric, and left fridge door open to air out. I left the auto button on by mistake. Question is, "Will the gas side keep trying to ignite to startup fridge?"
Larry Tiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:24 AM   #11
Just as confused as you

I am a seasonal on a permanent site. I leave the refer on auto with both LP tanks open. If the campground looses power then the refer switches to LP. It switches back to AC when power is restored. Water heater is on LP only. I do have electric element but I don't use it. I've had to refill each tank only once each season in the 9 years I've had a TT.

Larry Tiner, yes as long as you have the battery disconnect turned on. I take my battery out and bring it home at the end on season.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:31 AM   #12

Thanks, Scrapper. Guess I'll make a road trip tomorrow, darn!
Old 06-05-2017, 02:55 PM   #13

Took the road trip, Scrapper. My battery disconnect was turned off, so I was okay. I still turned the fridge off. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:00 PM   #14

While it may not be germane to this discussion, my 'check' light on my Suburban 3 way fridge always glows slightly when the fridge is operating, always has and I ignore it.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:07 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Tiner View Post
This is a bit off topic, but I'm lost. I have a fridge question. I shut down our RV for the summer, disconnected the electric, and left fridge door open to air out. I left the auto button on by mistake. Question is, "Will the gas side keep trying to ignite to startup fridge?"
The answer is "no" after 3 failed start attempts; just like the water heater and furnace.

This is a safety feature so propane does not fill up the compartment; then a random spark cause a "boom".
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check, light, refrigerator