Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2018, 05:44 PM   #1

Check you AM/FM antenna

We are setting up our 2016 Wildcat 28SGX to use as little power as possible when boondocking.

One of the items on my list was to put a toggle switch on the factory AM/FM radio so we could put it to cold iron. In the off mode it works as a clock. However it is mounted beneath the kitchen counter and is really too low for that purpose. Also the light it puts out a night is a distraction.

While I was under the counter sorting the wire out I found one bundle of wires tightly coiled and zip tied. Cutting it loose I found it was the antenna for the radio. The radio has never performed well when remote but we didn't think anything about it since we use the BlueTooth ability to play off of our phones.

I clipped the zip ties off and spread the two beam wires out as far as practical under the sink area.

If you're having issues with radio reception, you may want to check the antenna.
Parrott_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:49 PM   #2
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

You should be able to just take the face plate off of the stereo to cut total power to the radio.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:51 PM   #3

I don't think ours is detachable and a toggle switch is easy enough and I can't loose it....or drop it..
Old 08-12-2018, 06:10 PM   #4

What brand stereo is it?

If it is a Furrion that looks like a standard car stereo, then it most likely does come off.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:12 PM   #5

Not sure what brand, we seldom use it.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:14 PM   #6

AFAIK, my Furrion radio uses the television antenna. If I turn on the tv antenna booster, I get fair FM. Sucky without the boost.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
AFAIK, my Furrion radio uses the television antenna. If I turn on the tv antenna booster, I get fair FM. Sucky without the boost.
Mine was also hooked up that way...and was shorting out my TV antenna and cable signal input to the living room TV.

Get an outside mount AM/FM antenna...you'll be much happier, and I'll be you will get a better picture on your TV, too!
Old 08-13-2018, 01:46 PM   #8

A bundle if wires around an antenna cable?@?!?!
This is a no no especially if any of them have DC or AC power through them. Not for safety, no problem there... but the interference, cross talk, signal degradation can be anything.
Glad you separated the copper signal blockers.
And yes whatever brilliant engineer or designer had any antenna placed on the side of a camper should be put on the scrap pick up line.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:16 PM   #9

I have a FR Puma 23FB with an iRV Technologies combination radio/DVD player. The radio does draw a slight voltage even when off for both the clock and memory for tuned stations, etc.

My radio does not use the Winegard crank up TV antenna. It has its own chrome wire antenna on a flexible spring. The wire antenna is about 15 inches high and doesn't need to be raised or lowered. Top of the antenna is slightly above the top of the AC. Depending on signal strength is my determining factor.
johng4706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
What brand stereo is it?

If it is a Furrion that looks like a standard car stereo, then it most likely does come off.
Hmmmm. Cool and thanks for that. It does look like an auto radio. I will check her out.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by johng4706 View Post
I have a FR Puma 23FB with an iRV Technologies combination radio/DVD player. The radio does draw a slight voltage even when off for both the clock and memory for tuned stations, etc.

My radio does not use the Winegard crank up TV antenna. It has its own chrome wire antenna on a flexible spring. The wire antenna is about 15 inches high and doesn't need to be raised or lowered. Top of the antenna is slightly above the top of the AC. Depending on signal strength is my determining factor.
My old unit was towards the front of the RV. It had a spring strong enough to support a Ram 3500 axle. The roof lost a battle with a branch and left me a hole. I changed to an internal antenna and covered the hole.
New unit(antenna 10-12 FT further back) got bent rearward at a 45 deg to lower and assist in deflection.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:37 PM   #12

We never listen to the radio so I removed it. It's basically a car radio in a cabinet. My "bundle" of wires included power, ground, antenna, inside speakers and outside speaker wires. I'm in the process of adapting a 3.5mm jack so I can use the inside speakers which are over the bed to listen to the TV.

After removing the radio, I removed the cabinet that it sat in, then removed the dining table bench seat next to it. It really created a lot of floor space!
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:49 PM   #13

The wire antenna is for am/fm. The TV antenna is probably a flat looking wing looking thing... inside on the ceiling you probably have a knob that fine tune swivels the antenna on the roof. So you never have to worry about cranking and leaving it up.
There is probably a button with a light beside it that turns on the amplifier for the antenna boost. Mine is a button next where the coax cable comes in.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, check