Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #21

Good puzzle, this rig have a electric water heater element, maybe on the same circuit?
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #22

There's no way the water heater, TV and microwave are all on the same
circuit - I bet its a wire that's pinched somewhere shorting out.
Jim Scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haug View Post
We have a 2005 Rockwood. Our 20 amp circuit breaker keeps blowing.

We have replaced the converter, battery, and the circuit breaker itself.
Quote:
When we plug in the 110 the main 20 amp circuit breaker pops, but we can reset it
Are you sure it's the MAIN breaker? We may just be confused on the terminology.

If so, the main breaker is usually 30 amps, not 20 as Herk has pointed out. You also stated you replaced this circuit breaker. I hope you didn't accidently replace a 30 amp MAIN breaker with a 20 amp breaker.......cause if you did, then you lost 10 amps worth of stuff you can run off of 120 volt. It's also possible a previous owner (if applicable) is the one who also replaced the MAIN breaker with a smaller one and you just followed suit..

If you do now only have a 20 amp MAIN breaker, you cannot run your Air Conditioner and much else (certainly not a microwave) at the same time.

Vince also made a good point about the water heater, If you have it set to run on electricity (even with propane), it can average 10 amps by itself. Also if you have shorted the electrical heating element out in the water heater, it can do all kind of funny things, like overloading breakers. I would make sure the electrical heating element is switched off (if so equipped) for right now. A lot of owners don't even realize their water heater can have an electrical heating element and it accidently get's turned on (or left on when a tank is drained).....and if there's no water in the tank, the element gets fried

Anyway you could provide us with a pic of your inside circuit breaker box (aka power distribution panel), so we can see if it's indeed the MAIN breaker or just an individual circuit breaker? It would help tremendously in trying to get your problem straightened out.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Scofield View Post
There's no way the water heater, TV and microwave are all on the same
circuit - I bet its a wire that's pinched somewhere shorting out.
Based on the year and size of the camper, I kinda deduced it didn't come with an built in electric water heater. Camco and others have been offering a screw in heating element for years, the owner has to plug in the element somewhere inside the coach, just guessing someone added a circuit like this and chose the same circuit as the one in question. The op did point out the breaker trips with the addition of load, that rules out a pinched cable.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #25

The main amp is 30. The 20 amp runs the electical outlets and microwave. Here is the converter number. Model WF-8955A Made by World Friendship Company
We will try some of the things listed from the posts above. Very hard to figure out what to do when 2 different RV mechanics don't have a clue.
Haug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #26
Site Team - Lou

My money is on "you are overloading that circuit".

Try moving higher draw items to a different breaker.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:19 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
It mainly shuts off when we have something plugged into one of the outlets. We tried all 3 of the outlets and sometimes it does it and sometimes not.

Any suggetions? We're getting very frustrated

Thanks
Haug, what are plugging into the outlets when the breaker trips? Also, Is it the same item each time, or different things?

Is the microwave running when it trips?

You said it mainly trips with something plugged into an outlet. Does this mean it also trips occasionally without anything plugged into an outlet? If so, what else is running in the RV at that time, or have you noticed?

Is the water heater being run on electric (if applicable)?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote