Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2020, 10:14 AM   #1

Coax cabling

So looking at the coax because power boaster light wouldn't come on. Pulled the plate off and nothing plugged into it. Reached in the hole and found a mouse trap that was luckily already sprung. Fished out the power wires and plugged them in. Boaster light comes on. Now there are three coax cables. Black white orange. On the circuit board of the boaster I see Set2 cable antenna. Which goes where? I do know that the bunkhouse coax is black.
Oh those previous owners settings traps suck.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200919_165348.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	239656

2012 28 ft Cherokee Grey WolfBHKS
2014 F150 4X4 Supercrew 5.0 XLT XTR
Lexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 11:03 AM   #2

you might have to tone them out, the cable may go into a splitter as one color and come out another color, nothing with these campers surprise me, to tone these out the easiest way is to but a 20 or 30 dollar coax cable tester or use a multi-meter, buy yourself a 25 foot of coax cable (or longer depending on your camper) and a barrel connector, connect the cable to one end then run the cable to the other end where you are going to test and use the multi-meter to OHM the cables out.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 11:11 AM   #3

The set 2 cable typically goes directly to another tv (bedroom?) or to a splitter for distribution to all other tv's.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 11:15 AM   #4

Thanks
So
antenna...is that the roof antenna?
Cable that is what is on the side of the trailer to plug into campground cable?
set 2 is basically a splitter to another tv?

Also outside there are 2 placed to plug in a coax. 1 at the back and one on the side by the door Would 1 be cable and the other be satellite? or are they the same thing?

Old 09-21-2020, 11:20 AM   #5
Befuddled wanderer

I believe the Antenna should be the incoming line from the antenna on the roof. The Cable would be the incoming line from the connector somewhere on your trailer that is meant to hook to the RV Park cable or satellite dish. The Set2 goes to the Television or splitter that sends the signal to different parts of the RV. I'd have to go look in my RV to figure out which color cables serve which purpose. As wildcatter suggested, testing is probably the best way to determine which cable goes where, but I'm thinking that with only three cables, trial and error should get things figured out fairly quick. If you have a strong TV signal in the area, then I would recommend doing the trial and error method with the amplifier turned off, just in case.

2020 Rockwood Ultra Light 2891 BH
1996 Dodge Ram 3500 dually 8.0L V10

"Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice"
cc102bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 11:21 AM   #6
Befuddled wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexa View Post
Thanks
Also outside there are 2 placed to plug in a coax. 1 at the back and one on the side by the door Would 1 be cable and the other be satellite? or are they the same thing?
I'm thinking the one by the door may be a connection for an outside TV and the one in the back would be for incoming satellite/cable signal.

Old 09-21-2020, 11:24 AM   #7

So the "cable" hookup at the back outside would be good for Sat or cable?? I am thinking that the 1 by the door is for outside TV. and if it is for outside TV can you still use it to hookup sat? are they reversible?

Old 09-21-2020, 11:29 AM   #8
Befuddled wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexa View Post
So the "cable" hookup at the back outside would be good for Sat or cable?? I am thinking that the 1 by the door is for outside TV. and if it is for outside TV can you still use it to hookup sat? are they reversible?
That's a good question... I don't really know the answer to that. The one in the back feeds the amplifier thing in the picture you posted and then it goes to the splitter that feeds all of the TV hookups. If you hooked a satellite dish to the one by the door it would go directly to the splitter. If the splitter allows for the signal to pass through in either direction, it may just work fine. If the splitter only allows the signal to pass through in one direction, then it would not work because the satellite signal would come to the splitter via an "output" hookup. My guess is that the splitter would allow the signal to go through in either direction, but that's only a guess.

Old 09-21-2020, 11:41 AM   #9

If the one at the door is for outside tv (I think it is) it probably is connected to a splitter output and not useful for sat tv. If the rear one is strictly for sat it would be open ended (not connected) at the other end until sat receiver is installed and connected to it directly. Just guessing.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:06 PM   #10
Site Team

If your RV has a Satellite coax connection, that cable runs straight to a jack (and usually a plate) all by itself. It doesn't go through the splitter/power injector with the other coaxes.

Do you have a wall plate near the power injector plate with just a single F connector on it?
Old 09-21-2020, 12:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
If your RV has a Satellite coax connection, that cable runs straight to a jack (and usually a plate) all by itself. It doesn't go through the splitter/power injector with the other coaxes.

Do you have a wall plate near the power injector plate with just a single F connector on it?
No. The pic I posted is celing mount over master bedroom. There is a single mounted behind living room tv. There is a single in bunkhouse. Single in outdoor kitchen. Single outside by door. And single outside at back of trailer..

Old 09-21-2020, 12:16 PM   #12
Site Team

Sounds like your RV doesn't have dedicated satellite cabling.

You can usually convert the "Cable" coax to satellite use if they didn't run it through a splitter before it gets to the power injector/splitter plate.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:33 PM   #13
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
you might have to tone them out, the cable may go into a splitter as one color and come out another color, nothing with these campers surprise me, to tone these out the easiest way is to but a 20 or 30 dollar coax cable tester or use a multi-meter, buy yourself a 25 foot of coax cable (or longer depending on your camper) and a barrel connector, connect the cable to one end then run the cable to the other end where you are going to test and use the multi-meter to OHM the cables out.

Or another way is to put one of these on the end you are trying to identify(far end) and then use ohm meter to see which one now has a reading(typically between 50-80 ohms) on the free end(near end).
https://smile.amazon.com/Fancasee-Te...s%2C188&sr=8-7

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachTexas View Post
Or another way is to put one of these on the end you are trying to identify(far end) and then use ohm meter to see which one now has a reading(typically between 50-80 ohms) on the free end(near end).
I will test them. Wont be at the trailer for 2 week. I'll update. Thanks.

Old 09-21-2020, 01:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachTexas View Post
Good suggestion, those work as well. I always have those on hand, I work for a cable company.

Lexa, if you do use the 75ohm terminators you will need to put one of the multi-meter probes on the center conductor and the other on the outside of the cable connector, otherwise you will get no reading.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote