Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #1

Unhappy Columbus 295RL dissapointmen entertainment center

Hi all,
I have run into a dilemma with my new 295RL, I purchased a Dish receiver to use while camping. The way the entertainment center is designed, I can find no possible way to set the satellite receiver any where in the center. It wont fit in with the surround sound, or in the cabinet above and I cannot get it to fit behind the tv itself. Has anyone run into this before. Any viable solutions found?

Appreciate any input/advice you might have
mushed by drunk driver1995 Dodge Cummins Exhaust Pac brake, DTT trans, cold air intake mods, TST #5 cam plate & others.
Pull-Rite Super 5 15.5K hitch
Been trailering since 1977
rosebunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebunch
Hi all,
I have run into a dilemma with my new 295RL, I purchased a Dish receiver to use while camping. The way the entertainment center is designed, I can find no possible way to set the satellite receiver any where in the center. It wont fit in with the surround sound, or in the cabinet above and I cannot get it to fit behind the tv itself. Has anyone run into this before. Any viable solutions found?

Appreciate any input/advice you might have
I put mine in the basement of my 5er out of the way.
No room by tv either.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:14 AM   #3
Trailer Trash

295RL has the tv area tucked into a corner like it was a plan b afterthought. Can the dish reciever fit into the two cabinets up by ceiling?

320RS has the tv area as a main central theme of the living room so there is lots of areas one could put the dish reciever. IF the receiver is skinny enough, it would fit in the black glass door above the tv. Lots of free room on the right. The left has the dvd player/home theatre box.

Be advised there is not much for extra wiring (service loop) to move home theatre box to see back side of it - can only turn mine about 90° to work on it.

joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #4

Thanks JOELEK,
Your picture of the 295RL is exactly what I have, the dish receiver is to large for the upper cabinet or behind the glass door. My old DP311 receiver would fit behind the TV but the VIP211K for HD tv is a little to tall to fit under the TV. It is also an inch wider and deeper. Not sure if it would fit even if it was not to tall to go under TV. The only way I can try it for sure is to remove the top swivel mount for the TV and slide it over top and down behind. Have not tried this yet.

Of course another problem has developed as the satellite connection does not work in the RV. The connection is broken some where between inside port and outside port
mushed by drunk driver1995 Dodge Cummins Exhaust Pac brake, DTT trans, cold air intake mods, TST #5 cam plate & others.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
Trailer Trash

I've read a few messages on here about the sattellite and cable coax terminals being bad on Columbus RV's They need to be crimp on style vs cheap screw on style. Never tried mine as I don't watch satellite TV. DVD and Antenna TV is how I roll.

I suspect reciver box for non HD or non DVR would be smaller than what the unit you mentioned They are pretty small on DirecTV units. However, the HD DVR box is much larger. You may want to try a non DVR box that is HD and see if that would fit behind the small black glass door. Then go with a 3rd party DVR recoder and locate the recorder in the upper cabinet.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #6

Jolek,
My VIP211k is a non DVR solo receiver. Yes it is smaller than the 722K DVR I have in the house. The corner unit is much smaller with the 90 degree angle within the cabinet. Not much room for anything in there.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
Trailer Trash

Bummer Rose. On the 320RS when you open up the skinny black glass door, about 1/2 of the shelf space is empty in there. Lots of room on the right for an add on device.

Is it side to side width, front to back depth, or top to bottom height that is your limiting factor? Im guessing front to back depth as the pictures above show width of tv, glass door and 2 cabinets to be the same on 295RL and 320RS. The V shaped cabinet must limit side to side width so only one device fits within the glass door.

Maybe you can cut out the middle divider in the 2 upper cabinets and put your reciever up there. Have to open the doors to use it of course.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #8

I have considered taking out the middle section on the upper doors, I would probably have to remove the doors and put a deeper shelf up there as the V shape in the back makes the usable space to narrow for the depth of the receiver. It is a very impractical setup but will have to figure out something. For now I have set a small folding table next to the fireplace and dinning table. Placed the receiver there but of course must move it for travel.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #9

Industrial grade Velcro. Mount to the wall or back of tv. If your remote is RF, then location of the box doesn't matter.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #10
Trailer Trash

Mount under the cabinet/above the tv or if wall will support it, to the right of TV via a shelf fastened to wall. Those 3M Command series pull to release gizmos work GREAT as an alternative to drilling holes into walls.
Command
Old 10-10-2012, 03:22 AM   #11

Hey Rosebunch,
We're considering the 295RL because of the quality of the Columbus units we saw at the Hershey show and the fact that we can only fit a 33 to 35 foot trailer on our favorite site in Maine. We toured some models of other brands with the TVs in the corner like the the 295RL. Most of the TVs were around 32 inches. They appeared a little small and it looked like the TVs would be blocked by the dining table chairs. Since we haven't actually seen a 295RL, is it fairly easy to view the TV from anywhere in the back of the trailer? Aside from the dish set up issue, how do you like your 295RL overall? Thanks. Forsailors
forsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:41 AM   #12

ours goes above in the cabinet. It is too high to fit in next tot he surround sound/dvd player. Have to leave the cabinet door open .... don't like that but it is ok

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:05 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Where Is your sat In cable located ?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #14

forsailors;
It is easy to see the 42" TV form either the theater recliner seats or the Couch/hide-a-bed. If you are quite short, the person sitting closet to the refrigerator can be partially blocked by the kitchen sink island.

All & all we like the 295RL very much. We just got back from our maiden voyage with it 4 nights. Have a couple of water leak issues from plumbing. Leaked into the basement storage area. Satellite hookup does not work. Just normal things that the dealer should have checked as requested.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #15

f1100turbo,
The satellite and cable TV hookups are in the area with all the water hookups and waste tank valve handles. These are accessed in the basement access on the drivers side of the unit.

Tags