Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2021, 06:38 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvflyer57 View Post
.... Our dealer believed the 12v would be the norm in coming years. Guess he was right, as I understand Rockwood has made the 12v standard and the two-way is now the option.
I don't know if I agree it is the future norm, but it is definitely cheaper.....
Cheaper options seem to be the driving factor in several areas, even if it means going backwards in functionality.
Wouldn't surprise me to see the old ice boxes being marketed as the latest and greatest
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:58 AM   #22

I think people are again conflating 120v residential refrigerators with 12v/120v refrigerators made for mobile applications. They are not the same thing.

One is designed for static installation and for connection to an almost unlimited supply of electricity which makes it a horrible choice for an RV. They are cheap, though. The other is designed for living in a mobile environment and the better ones have a variable speed compressor to help conserve electricity from a finite source.

I think most RV manufacturers are counting on people not knowing the difference and judging by the way some makes are installing them (poor ventilation and inadequate power supply), I'm not so sure they do either.

2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:00 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I don't know if I agree it is the future norm, but it is definitely cheaper.....
Cheaper options seem to be the driving factor in several areas, even if it means going backwards in functionality.
Wouldn't surprise me to see the old ice boxes being marketed as the latest and greatest
I agree wholeheartedly.

The RV industry is going with what is easiest to obtain at a lower cost FOR THEM. They’re not doing it for the benefit of those buying their RVs. Instead of installing absorption refrigerators and improving on them where necessary, they are fooling everybody into thinking a compressor refrigerator is the way to go. So, instead of the RV manufacturers making an RV ready to go out and hit the wilderness, they are installing these compressor refrigerators, causing the end user to put a ton of money into their unit after the sale, requiring them to pay more for batteries, solar, generators, slide and windshield removal and replacement, etc.

As far as the old ice box refrigerators are concerned, I would rather have one of these than a compressor refrigerator. I remember our family of six doing just fine using these in the 1960s in the mountains of Idaho

Bruce
Old 07-28-2021, 07:05 AM   #24

We purchased a new trl with residential fridge but am waiting on it to be delivered. So I have no knowledge of how I will like it. My first fridge was propane 120 and I had the ability to choose which I wanted but it struggled in summer. My last fridge was also propane/ 120 but if I was hooked to electric I wasn’t able to switch to propane. There were a few times I wanted to run propane in extreme summer heat and even once when temps dropped very low and I didn’t want to tax the electric anymore than needed.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:29 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackIt View Post
I don't care about HOW it gets cold, what I care about is THAT it gets cold... and stays cold. Absorption refrigerators do not cool as well as compressor refrigerators. If anyone wants to trade, I'll gladly give up my Norcold N8V absorption for the 12v model. We never camp with hookups, but we have massive amounts of LiFePO4 and solar.
Interesting.... Our norcold will freeze stuff on the top shelf...LOL ever try cracking a frozen egg into a frying pan?
Old 07-28-2021, 07:51 AM   #26

Executive summary:
Quote:
but we have massive amounts of LiFePO4 and solar.
-- Chuck
Old 07-28-2021, 08:21 AM   #27
Site Team

IMHO the decision is based on where and how you plan to use your RV. If you always ( or almost always) stay where you have shore power then residential is great. If you don't stay where there is shore power than you will need to spend extra money on batteries and solar or generator or both to have a residential fridge. Unfortunately many new RV owners are not aware of the requirements and fall victim of a slick sales pitch. In Rving as in most things in life there are tradeoffs and you need to make informed decisions.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:31 AM   #28

It's all about the "camping" you do. If you're "boondocking" then a compressor type refrigerator is a ridiculous choice unless you want to spend thousands on solar/generator setup. I am also no fan of the attempt at selling 12 volt setups as a solution to that same situation. Those fridges are cheaper until you add in the solar needs to run them. They'll work for a day or two with the minimal systems the manufacturers provide, but any long term "boondocking" isn't' realistic. I have had gas/electrics for my 40+ years of RV ownership, and I love them. I've owned 4 different ones over those years and all of them have functioned well.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:35 AM   #29
Retired Army MSG!

Our latest rig came with the 12v compressor fridge. After 6 outings, I am very pleased. We do have 50 watt solar panel so that helps with battery while traveling. To date, we have had no issues keeping food cold and meats frozen in the freezer while traveling. I like that this refrigerator cools much more rapidly than the LP/Electric standards do.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator