Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #1

Concertone RV2004S

I am thinking of purchasing one of the refurbished RV2004S radios, since my ZX400 is not working properly. The RV2004S is $69.00, 100 watts, and the RV2004DS is $159.00, 150 watts and DVD/MP3. Any opinions?
kev2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:50 AM   #2

i've got the 2004 DS model, original equipment, in my Rockwood 1809.

it has the XM cradle which is nice.

however, the DVD player, humms during DVD playback. additionally, the DVD player doesn't always properly read disks, i get error messages.

and overall sound quality (radio/XM/DVD) is a bit suspect.

finally, the TV mode is worthless as it does not receive digital signals w/out a converter box. so no need to pay extra for that option.

bottom line...i'd prob replace w/ the 2004S model because for $69 it fits in the stock hole. and then purchase a 12 volt/DC DVD player for my current LED TV or a new 22" LED TV w/ integrated DVD player.

100 watts vs 150 watts??? no big wup.
no mp3 vs mp3??? your call. not important for me if i subscribe to XM
avocadoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:36 AM   #3

That is what I was thinking. The current radio is 200 watts, but 100 watts of working power is better than 200 watts of not working power. The XM would be nice. Does it matter what model of SKYfi XM reciever fits in the RV2004S. As far as the MP3, I would just use the AUX and plug in my MP3 player. I have a cable that plugs into the player and has 2 RCA plugs on the other end.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #4

the XM cradle is set-up for the Roady XT, that's what i have.

regarding the AUX...my unit does not have the AUX hooked up so that it's functional for me to use. that is, it's not integrated into the front of the unit or in the wall anywhere in my coach. so, i would need to create an accessible outlet thru the front wall (via the outlet that is in the rear of the Concertone unit).

so, i suppose that you could also use that AUX for a DVD player, Ipod, etc.

again, the TV function is worthless.

let me know how it turns out.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:29 PM   #5

I am looking at a SKYfi XM reciever model number SA10000 on ebay. Will this reciever fit into the cradle on the RV2004S?
Also, what type of antenna do you use for the XM? How does that get installed?

Thanks alot
Old 07-27-2011, 11:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev2504 View Post
I am looking at a SKYfi XM reciever model number SA10000 on ebay. Will this reciever fit into the cradle on the RV2004S?
that looks like the Roady that i have. looks like the same cradle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev2504 View Post
Also, what type of antenna do you use for the XM? How does that get installed?
i can't help you on this one. i didn't install my unit. may have been done at the dealer when originally purchased by previous owner or as aftermarket.
try using search feature.

try this one or others: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...enna-5088.html
Old 07-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #7
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
Please remember these units are factory refurbs and originally more then 7 years old! They are not representative of current technology. They fill a purpose and a need for those that want a plug and play replacement for their older models. If you just want an AM/FM/CD player, there is probably no better deal than the RV2004S for $69.00

I always recommend the Servcie Plan if someone is willing to rewire their RV and wants newer technology amd more features. For $249 NET, the service plan is a great deal for replacements or upgrades!
(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:29 AM   #8

I agree with you Bob, except for the length of the warranty. What happens when the radio quits working in 18 months? another $249? With the track record of failures it would be nice to offer a 2 year warranty. That I think would help with the purchase of the newer technology. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:00 PM   #9
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
kev, without getting into all the details (as you can search all my previous posts), we do NOT have a record of failures. We definitely have a record of people on here and for that I have no issue. We have sold over a million units, so add up all the negative posts and do the analysis yourself. The ratio is far from terrible...
Some I will never convince and some are very happy, again search here and you will find them too...
$249 for a $550 radio looks like a good deal to me. I guess I could cancel that program if you would rather pay $550. I'd even consider a two year warranty then...
(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:53 AM   #10

Yes, I guess that is a great program.

For the few of us that have had problems from day one with our radio, and the replacements are not any better, that leaves a very bad taste in our mouth. I had the Forest River technician bench test a radio for a few days, and then send it to me. As I installed it there was no output to the subwoofer, so I had to send it back, and he sent me a different radio. It has been in the trailer for 19 months now, and was working great until the hot spell we had. I do however think that the overall problem may be how the radio is mounted. The cabinet that it is mounted into, does not have any type of ventilation. I would guess that the build up of heat, and the electronics don't get along. I am going to create some vents for the new radio this weekend and go from there.

Bob, keep up the good work, and maybe I will upgrade some day.