Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2010, 01:42 PM   #21

2011 Rockwood 8286WS
Toshiba 26" LCD TV

I wonder if the model of TV matters? I wouldn't think so but it might. I haven't tried another TV yet.
phoneman06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Fields View Post
... I think we need to step back again and ask everyone who is experiencing this same problem to post up what YEAR/MAKE/MODEL RV you have...
2011 Flagstaff Classic SuperLite 831RLSS.

ZX700, 32" Toshiba flat screen.

Bouncy video at top of screen. Has done it since it was picked up.

Videos played on both USB and DVD.

TV doesn't do it on a dedicated DVD player plugged into it's aux jacks.

Haven't talked to the dealer yet.

great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:11 PM   #23

My ZX700 is "jumping" with DVD's and Sat. too. I bypassed the Sat. video cable connection that goes through the ZX700. Hooked up directly from my Sat. box to the Cable/Ant port on back of TV and it works fine. I just left the audio cables hooked up through the ZX700 from Sat. box and still have surround sound. I have it in to the dealer now so I hope they come up with a solution cause it will still jump with DVD's. 2011 30WFKSS V-Lite 2 slides.
wfkssvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:45 PM   #24

Bob, you out there?

I'm seeing a trend forming.......

Old 12-05-2010, 07:10 AM   #25

Bob,
Any updates? Looks like several units are experiencing this same problem.

Thanks.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneman06 View Post
Bob,
Any updates? Looks like several units are experiencing this same problem.

Thanks.

Looks like they're all 2011 models too.

Care to admit to a bad batch maybe?

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
Old 12-05-2010, 02:53 PM   #27

2011 8316SS ROCKWOOD
Same problem
GRAYSONH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:04 AM   #28
Infractee

2011 8316SS Same Problem!
32" toshiba TV
Video jumps up and down, and sometimes goes all the way out. troubleshot that to the 90 degree RCA fitting that was installed on the end of the video cable so that it would clear the wall behind TV, replaced that and video works fine, other than that, video still jumping up and down while watching DVDs or when Iphone plugged into aux ports to watch movies. Works fine on antenna.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:47 AM   #29
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
Sorry I misplaced this thread! :-)

This is truly bizarre. We have tested several of the units and found them all to be within specs and working fine on our bench. We will continue to investigate...
(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:17 AM   #30

I would be glad to send you mine. I'm not going to need it until next spring.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:24 AM   #31

Quote:
Hey Guys sorry I have been tied up - traveled back to MA to be with our kids during Thanksgiving. I definitely need to get me a MH to travel these miles - especially since we will become grandparents in March! I believe the Mrs. and the dog will be much happier!

I see a Concertone demo vehicle in my future, hopefully in time for the FROG get together! :-)

Sooo, I REALLY do not think anyone after replacing two or three units is going to find that changing it again is going to solve your problem. We recently tested several units with these complaints and found all measurements to be within specification and the units test fine on the Bench (with no visible issues).

I realize this is a conundrum, but we are trying to determine what is going on. This is why I asked what RV model this was happening with and even with that, I think we need to step back again and ask everyone who is experiencing this same problem to post up what YEAR/MAKE/MODEL RV you have. So even if you told me the model already please repost with the above.

Thanks
We have a 2009 Forest River Rockwood Wind Jammer 3001WS. We have the fourth unit in it which lasted under two months.
bluerayjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #32
Wanna Be Camper

I did one other thing in our V-Lite. We had an issue that when the AC compressor came on the TV would turn off for just a split second and come back on. I tightened all the screws on the wires going to the cct breakers in the converter panel and that problem went away. I also replaced the ZX700 right around that time and it does not have the jumpy picture now so maybe it was tightning the connections in the converter panel and not the new ZX that cured ours. It may be something for others to try as it is an easy job and free.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:21 PM   #33

Quote:

This is truly bizarre. We have tested several of the units and found them all to be within specs and working fine on our bench. We will continue to investigate...
Bob,
Have they ever tested them in a trailer? Just a thought. Maybe it is related to the electronics in the trailer itself.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:25 PM   #34

Quote:

Well, that's simple to determine in concept but difficult in actuallity.

What's different between the test bench and in the trailers?

Off the top of my head:

Power supply - Test bench power supplies tend to be regulated and steady to within a tight spec whereas VS shore power convered to 12v or 12 v battery tend s to spike, dip and be electrically "noisy".

Cabling - routing (IE: power line bundled with signal line in trailer but seperated on the bench, etc), connector quality, cable quality and cable guage differences between test bench and trailers, etc.

Filtering - is there a "choke" on any of the test bench lines, Etc....

Were the ones put on the test bench "returns" with the jumping screen problem or ones pulled out of stock supply?

Lots of variables to look at.....

Husky Centerline Hitch
Old 12-08-2010, 08:20 AM   #35
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by great white View Post
Well, that's simple to determine in concept but difficult in actuallity.

What's different between the test bench and in the trailers?

Off the top of my head:

Power supply - Test bench power supplies tend to be regulated and steady to within a tight spec whereas VS shore power convered to 12v or 12 v battery tend s to spike, dip and be electrically "noisy".

Cabling - routing (IE: power line bundled with signal line in trailer but seperated on the bench, etc), connector quality, cable quality and cable guage differences between test bench and trailers, etc.

Filtering - is there a "choke" on any of the test bench lines, Etc....

Were the ones put on the test bench "returns" with the jumping screen problem or ones pulled out of stock supply?

Lots of variables to look at.....
Great white may be on to something here.
The video signal shifting up and down could coincide with a power pulse coming off a power wire that is too close to the video cable. It should be an easy check to see how the converter puts out power or the battery charger?
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:43 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
Great white may be on to something here.
The video signal shifting up and down could coincide with a power pulse coming off a power wire that is too close to the video cable. It should be an easy check to see how the converter puts out power or the battery charger?

I have just a "wee bit" of experience with this sort of stuff.....

For doing a proper check of the power output of the converter you would need and osciliscope. But checking voltage pulses and amperage is a simple multimeter though. Most likely a problem would exist in the rectifier bridge when converting from AC to DC pulse. This wouldn't explain the behaviour on battery though...

I get the feeling most trailers have "less expensive" power units. These lower end pieces can tend to be "noisy" due to thier construction. If the zx700 is "picky" about the quality of the power, it can "hiccup" when the power does something out of the zx700's spec (ie: sees a frequency outside of it's tolerance, voltage drop, etc).

I have had issues before with signal wires running parrallel with power supplies. The EMF induced in the signal wire by the power can lead to all kinds of wierd things from noise and signal degredation to god-knows-what.

Cheap wires with minimal shielding are also subject to this problem.

Looking inthe cabinet of my rls26 revealed that all the wires were zip tied together. I doubt my rlbss831 is any different. My 26 didn't "jump" but it had a zx75, perhaps a bit more tolerant of power or signalling issues than the zx700?

Just some stuff to consider.....

Husky Centerline Hitch
Old 12-08-2010, 10:13 AM   #37
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
Yes we understand the difference between the test bench environment and those in the TT! And yes, we have actually help discover issues with other equipment or installation based on issues such as this. And yes, we have tested "problem" units and utilizing our proper test equipment determined they were fine including measuring specification that were not even close to being out of tolerance.

If you look at the threads, you will see this particular issue has built up to be more prevalent and now we are staring to see a trend that will may help us determine the source and ultimate solution. Keep the info coming so we can continue to zero in on t he common denominator.
(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:12 PM   #38
The Old Man

I had a barely audible hum in my unit and it went away completely after I added a few inexpensive line filters from Radio Shack.

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:40 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis View Post
I had a barely audible hum in my unit and it went away completely after I added a few inexpensive line filters from Radio Shack.
I have the same issue.

A little bit more detail on your fix please.

IE: chokes on the power lines, which lines, ground loop isolator on the signal lines, etc.....

Husky Centerline Hitch
Old 12-09-2010, 01:03 PM   #40
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by great white View Post
I have the same issue.

A little bit more detail on your fix please.

IE: chokes on the power lines, which lines, ground loop isolator on the signal lines, etc.....
Chokes on the audio cables (and also the video cables and coax though I wasn't seeing any real problems with the video).

Snap Choke Core - RadioShack.com

I pulled the unit from the cabinet for access to the cables. I also added a powered RF Booster to the radio antenna. That didn't seem to make much difference, but at the moment my TT is parked in a very remote area with bad reception. I think the booster may help once I get closer to civilization.

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote