Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2010, 07:20 PM   #1

concertone ZX700 DVD/media player defect?!

Concertone ZX700 DVD/media player defect?! I just bought a new Sabre TT. I absolutely love the trailer. But the DVD player (ZX700) I do not like. All video run through the device (DVD, netflix, home movies, etc) is pixilated and the whole screen jumps up a quarter of an inch every few seconds and just generally figets all around. Basically, video from the antenna looks ten times better than any DVDs we try and watch. So it's not the tv! I was really looking forward to watching some movies on our new big screen tv that came with the trailer but this problem makes the movies almost unwatchable.

Immediately I cried fowl and Forest River sent me a new unit. However, as I feared the new unit does the same exact thing. I tested changing the wiring to but it had no affect. After doing some Googling I found others complaining of the same problem with this unit on different forums. So... what's Forest River doing about this annoying problem? And/or has anyone found a fix for this??? Thanks for your time and help!
ewwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:48 PM   #2

And here I thought it was just a glitch on the videos I was watching the other day.

I'll have to check it again.

Bob Feilds, you out there?
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:14 PM   #3

Welcome to the world of Concertone JUNK! Since you bought this unit and I assume it is still under warranty have the dealer replace it. But in the long term be prepared to either replace them about every year or scrap it and buy a quality double din unit and fit it in the place of that junk unit. As a side benefit you will see about a 300% increase in sound quality.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewwatson View Post
Concertone ZX700 DVD/media player defect?! I just bought a new Sabre TT...
What model Sabre do you have?
(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:01 PM   #5

No problems with our 700 unit at all and we have tried all the functions, so not everyone has problems with these units.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Fields View Post
What model Sabre do you have?
Thanks guys for getting back to me and sorry it took me so long to respond. My Sabre is a 31QBDS 2011. I absolutely am in love with it. Bob mentioned to me I make sure the vid setting is on NTSA (I think that was it?) and not Pal. Anyway I made that change but unfortunately it had no effect. If anyone else has a suggestion I'd me more than happy to try it. Thanks!
Old 11-23-2010, 07:04 AM   #7
Wanna Be Camper

FWIW, our ZX700 was doing the jumping picture thing and when I called our dealer the service manager said it was the unit and she gave us a new one and the problem is solved. Still not crazy about the video quality but it is a composite signal so high def is not gonna happen. I am planning on replacing ours with a Sony Brava Micro home theatre system in the spring as our Toshiba 32" TV is 110v only and we never use the radio so having a 110v sound system makes sense to us and will have a real sub. I will keep the concertone in ceiling speakers though and as we never use the stereo the bedroom and outside speakers need not be attached.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:08 AM   #8

I am having the same problem with the video jumping. I checked the NTSC and they were set correctly. Mine does it whether I am playing a DVD or using the AV1 setting for the satellite. My 5er is a 2011 Rockwood 8286WS.
phoneman06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:16 AM   #9
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneman06 View Post
I am having the same problem with the video jumping. I checked the NTSC and they were set correctly. Mine does it whether I am playing a DVD or using the AV1 setting for the satellite. My 5er is a 2011 Rockwood 8286WS.
Ours did it on all inputs as well, regardless of what they were, Xbox 360, External DVD player or the internal DVD player. I thought at first it was the TV but hooked up the Xbox 360 directly and it worked fine, the broadcast TV signal was ok as well.

John & Deb
Old 11-23-2010, 11:18 AM   #10

Well I have already replaced the unit with a new one and it did not remedy the problem. I have a warranty ticket open on it now so I guess I'll wait and see what happens. Worse comes to worse, I could just put in a new TV/DVD combo and then just go strait through the tv and bypass the unit altogether. But I should not have to go to such extremes to just watch a movie correctly in my brand new rig.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #11

There are a lot of wires on the back of the unit. Like 4 video out male plugs and literally about 20 others (red, white, and yellows everywhere). I hooked it up the same way the factory had it hooked up but with that many options back there it increases the likelyhood for human error. Though that said, I did try every other conceivable combination with new wires to no avail.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:29 AM   #12
Wanna Be Camper

One other possibility is you may have a bad video out cable that feeds your TV from the ZX. Maybe pickup a new 3ft or so video cable and just patch it in from the video out of the ZX to the video in on the TV to see if it helps.

John & Deb
Old 11-23-2010, 11:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
One other possibility is you may have a bad video out cable that feeds your TV from the ZX. Maybe pickup a new 3ft or so video cable and just patch it in from the video out of the ZX to the video in on the TV to see if it helps.
Thanks. But yeah I tried that. I bypassed all the wirering behind the wall and took a new vid cable strait from the unit to the back of the tv. No help - still jumped all over the place. Seems... some units are fine and others are flawed. Unfortunately seems I got the flawed one (or two).
Old 11-23-2010, 02:34 PM   #14

Get Bob Fields in the mix!!

2009 F150 SCREW4x4 Prodigy P3 and tow package Valley WDH and dual anti sway
2006 Party Barge 21 90 Merc Optimax
2011 RockWood 2702 SS arrived 11.10.2010
nights camped 2010 6
threegr8katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:36 PM   #15

They just confirmed they are sending me a 3rd unit now. Would not confirm unit model number or make. Maybe they made a fix to the unit, or maybe they are sending a dif model, or maybe they are going to just keep sending me the same player over and over again till one works or I grow tired - which ever comes first.

Note though, I am really impressed with RV Wholesalers and Forest Rivers willingness and quick response times to work with me on fixing this and a few other minor issues I've had thus far. I have nothing but praise for both companies.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:04 PM   #16
The Old Man

Quote:
maybe they are going to just keep sending me the same player over and over again
Make a tiny secret mark somewhere so you'll know if they send back the same unit...

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Note though, I am really impressed with RV Wholesalers and Forest Rivers willingness and quick response times to work with me on fixing this and a few other minor issues I've had thus far. I have nothing but praise for both companies.
I also bought my 5er from RVW but have not called them about the problem yet. Who did you talk to at RVW? Did they ask you to troubleshoot the problem with you or just agree to send you another one?
phoneman06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:53 AM   #18
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
Hey Guys sorry I have been tied up - traveled back to MA to be with our kids during Thanksgiving. I definitely need to get me a MH to travel these miles - especially since we will become grandparents in March! I believe the Mrs. and the dog will be much happier!

I see a Concertone demo vehicle in my future, hopefully in time for the FROG get together! :-)

Sooo, I REALLY do not think anyone after replacing two or three units is going to find that changing it again is going to solve your problem. We recently tested several units with these complaints and found all measurements to be within specification and the units test fine on the Bench (with no visible issues).

I realize this is a conundrum, but we are trying to determine what is going on. This is why I asked what RV model this was happening with and even with that, I think we need to step back again and ask everyone who is experiencing this same problem to post up what YEAR/MAKE/MODEL RV you have. So even if you told me the model already please repost with the above.

Thanks
(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:05 PM   #19

Morning,

Mine is a 2011 Sabre TT 31QBDS.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:19 PM   #20
Wanna Be Camper

2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS ZX700 (ours was fixed with a new unit though)

John & Deb