Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2021, 08:12 AM   #1

Confused about cable TV hookups

Puma 28RKSS 2020.
Park has a coax connector on the power/water post.
TT has 2 coax connections below the license plate (what FR???). One is labeled for sattelite, the other for cable tv.
Behind the tv is a plate with 2 coax connectors. There is a single printed label "AUX/SAT" above the top connector.
The lower connector has the signal booster button and we have used that connection for over the air tv. (Can't use here because we are too far from any broadcasters).
Above the coax box is a very short HDMI cable that is unlabeled and won't reach the TV.
TV is a recent vintage Samsung smart tv with a coax connector plus all the other types of connections.
I have tried every permutation of connections on the outside and inside to no avail. The signal booster is off. The TV shows 'No Source'.
Any idea what cable should connect to which connector?
I will be confirming with the office that the cable is actually on.
Thanks for any tips.
Signed frustrated in the mountains.
dogugotw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:59 AM   #2
D W

Provided that you do have a cable signal coming in, and that you still have no signal, I would check the connectors on the back of the wall plate. The satellite port is merely a straight run from the outside to the top port of the wall plate. It is capable of carrying both a SAT and CATV signal as it does not involve a splitter or voltage (power) injector to the antenna. Here are several pics that will show the different connections. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wallplate1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	265056   Click image for larger version

Name:	wallplate2.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	265057  
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 09:09 AM   #3
D W

P.S. I can only guess that the HDMI cable maybe is an T.V. input coming from an entertainment center?
Old 10-29-2021, 09:21 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

The AUX/SAT connection is usually what they call a "home run" meaning there are no splitters in the cable between the inside and outside connection. This connection is often used with a satellite receiver and an outside dish.

Typically, the CABLE connection from the outside, comes inside to behind the wall plate (with the power button) and connects to to an electrical A-B switch incorporated into the wall plate.

When the power button is OFF, signal comes from the outside cable port to the electronic A-B switch behind the wall plate and then out to the coax port on the front of the wall plate.

When the wall plate button is ON, the signal comes from the roof-top antenna (to the same coax port on the front of the wall plate) and it also sends power to the roof-top antenna's amplifier.

Typically, to watch park cable, connect the park cable (at the pedestal) to the outside port marked cable, then you need to run a short piece of coax from the port on the wall plate (not the one marked AUX/SAT) to your TV and with the wall plate button OFF, do a CABLE scan on your TV.

To watch roof-top off air stations, the same short cable needs to connect from the wall plate to your TV, the power button turned gets ON and then do a ANTENNA scan on your TV.

The wall plate also often incorporates a splitter that sends the roof-top antenna and the park cable to a bedroom TV or outside TV.

There have been reports of the coax being disconnected behind the wall plate or connected incorrectly. Also reports of staples or nails/screws into the coax rendering them useless.

The HDMI cable is often used to go TO an entertainment center and is typically used to connect a DVD player. It isn't meant to connect to your TV. There is often another HDMI cable FROM the entertainment center TO your TV somewhere.

As an alternative, connect the park cable (from the pedestal) to the AUX/SAT port on the outside and a short coax from the AUX/SAT port on the inside to your TV and then do a scan. That will eliminate the wall plate, electronic A-B switch, and the associated wiring and see what you get.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 09:34 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
The AUX/SAT connection is usually what they call a "home run" meaning there are no splitters in the cable between the inside and outside connection. This connection is often used with a satellite receiver and an outside dish.

Typically, the CABLE connection from the outside, comes inside to behind the wall plate (with the power button) and connects to to an electrical A-B switch incorporated into the wall plate.

When the power button is OFF, signal comes from the outside cable port to the electronic A-B switch behind the wall plate and then out to the coax port on the front of the wall plate.

When the wall plate button is ON, the signal comes from the roof-top antenna (to the same coax port on the front of the wall plate) and it also sends power to the roof-top antenna's amplifier.

Typically, to watch park cable, connect the park cable (at the pedestal) to the outside port marked cable, then you need to run a short piece of coax from the port on the wall plate (not the one marked AUX/SAT) to your TV and with the wall plate button OFF, do a CABLE scan on your TV.

To watch roof-top off air stations, the same short cable needs to connect from the wall plate to your TV, the power button turned gets ON and then do a ANTENNA scan on your TV.

The wall plate also often incorporates a splitter that sends the roof-top antenna and the park cable to a bedroom TV or outside TV.

There have been reports of the coax being disconnected behind the wall plate or connected incorrectly. Also reports of staples or nails/screws into the coax rendering them useless.

The HDMI cable is often used to go TO an entertainment center and is typically used to connect a DVD player. It isn't meant to connect to your TV. There is often another HDMI cable FROM the entertainment center TO your TV somewhere.

As an alternative, connect the park cable (from the pedestal) to the AUX/SAT port on the outside and a short coax from the AUX/SAT port on the inside to your TV and then do a scan. That will eliminate the wall plate, electronic A-B switch, and the associated wiring and see what you get.
In addition to all this, make sure the input on your TV is set to AUX and not A/V or HDMI1 or HDMI1 or anything like that.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 12:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
P.S. I can only guess that the HDMI cable maybe is an T.V. input coming from an entertainment center?
That makes sense. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2021, 12:35 PM   #7

Wonderful info. Thank you so much.

I have done everything as you describe for both Sat and Cable connections without success.

I don't have enough cable to go direct from the pedestal to the tv.
I know the cable from antenna to tv is good so the problem may be anywhere from the outside connection to the A/B switch.

I am going to leave cable and connection troubleshooting for later; I have internet and can keep myself occupied with Netflix, Amazon, and Disney!
Thanks again.
Old 10-29-2021, 12:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
In addition to all this, make sure the input on your TV is set to AUX and not A/V or HDMI1 or HDMI1 or anything like that.

If only...my choices for source are Samsung tv, remote access, and connection guide. The connection guide leads to lots of othr choices, none that include anything like cable or aux. Oh the joys of tech.
On a side note, the only way I could get the tv connected to the Internet was to call tech support for the network. The tv doesn't pop a web browser for login so support manually logs the tv in.
Old 10-29-2021, 01:21 PM   #9
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogugotw View Post
If only...my choices for source are Samsung tv, remote access, and connection guide. The connection guide leads to lots of othr choices, none that include anything like cable or aux. Oh the joys of tech.
On a side note, the only way I could get the tv connected to the Internet was to call tech support for the network. The tv doesn't pop a web browser for login so support manually logs the tv in.
Granted, Samsung T.V.'s are a little different. Somewhere on the remote or T.V. itself is an input button where there are choices for wired, wireless internet connections and then after that you get a screen that allows you to choose your television source: "Cable/Satellite", "Antenna" or "I Don't Receive A TV Signal"

You had to be close to that screen seeing as you have internet T.V.
Old 10-29-2021, 01:56 PM   #10

You also have to tell the TV to search for the cable channels!
glfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 02:03 PM   #11

One other thing. Some parks require a cable box to descramble the encrypted signal. At our home resort the office invariably forgets to tell transients this. It's a free loan. Cable from wall to box. Another cable from box to TV. And you plug it in.

Just ask at the office.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 03:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Granted, Samsung T.V.'s are a little different. Somewhere on the remote or T.V. itself is an input button where there are choices for wired, wireless internet connections and then after that you get a screen that allows you to choose your television source: "Cable/Satellite", "Antenna" or "I Don't Receive A TV Signal"

You had to be close to that screen seeing as you have internet T.V.

No buttons on the tv.
Pic of remote attached.

On all my other Samsung tvs, 'source' is the right button. In this case, there is no option for aux or cable. I am thinking I may have a wire problem.
Internet is a different setting for network.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211029_155314.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	265065  
Old 10-29-2021, 03:05 PM   #13

You need to setup the tv for the source that you are using over the air or sat and HDMI cable is to connect a sat receiver to the tv.
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 03:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by glfillion View Post
You also have to tell the TV to search for the cable channels!
When in the tv sEttings (channel listing, guide), there are no options to rescan.
I think I am tapping out and just streaming for now.
I need to take the tv home to a known good network and see what happens.
Old 10-29-2021, 03:30 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
No buttons on the tv.
Pic of remote attached.

On all my other Samsung tvs, 'source' is the right button. In this case, there is no option for aux or cable. I am thinking I may have a wire problem.
Internet is a different setting for network.
I think some TVs are smart enough that if they don't detect a signal coming from a specific source, it won't let you choose that source.

Like if I don't have any A/V cables plugged in, it won't let me pick that option on my TV.

Possibly what's going on here.

Quote:
I don't have enough cable to go direct from the pedestal to the tv.
Can you take the TV outside to the pedestal and connect a cable there? That would eliminate the trailer entirely.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 04:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
One other thing. Some parks require a cable box to descramble the encrypted signal. At our home resort the office invariably forgets to tell transients this. It's a free loan. Cable from wall to box. Another cable from box to TV. And you plug it in.

Just ask at the office.

No cable box here.
Old 10-29-2021, 04:15 PM   #17

The outside option is a possibility, as soon as it stops raining, in a couple of days! I will likely do that testing at home.
Old 10-29-2021, 04:19 PM   #18

HDMI

In my camper, the HDMI coming out of the wall is connected to the factory installed stereo.
Gumby40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, fuse