Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2023, 09:13 AM   #1

Connexx TV and Satellite Connections?

I just purchased a Vibe 26RB and I was able to briefly look at the main tv setup. I won't pick it up for two weeks. Behind the main tv there were two coaxial outputs and they were both hooked up the tv. Neither of these where labeled.

First question is why is there two coaxial connection to the tv?

Second question is where is the satellite connection at the main tv?

There is an input satellite connection at the rear of the trailer. There are two connections inside (if one is at the main tv). The other connection is in the ceiling of the bedroom. It is labeled satellite. I guess this means there is a splitter involved, but Dish will not work with splitters.

I am hoping I don't have to run a cable from my Dish antenna to the main tv.
reubenray374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 06:30 PM   #2

I have never seen a TV with more than 1 RF (Coax) input, so I seriously doubt you saw two coax cables from the wall plate connected to the TV. There should not be a splitter in the satellite cable run between the inside and outside connection. I strongly recommend that you get one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Stanz-Pocket-.../dp/B01KZ0PL44

Normally the second coaxial cable connection is for the satellite, and the bedroom connection (if there is only one) is a splitter off the antenna/cable TV input behind the wall plate in the living room. They may have mislabeled the connection in the bedroom.

If the satellite connection does indeed run to the bedroom, and you want it in the living room, what you can do is take the living room wall plate off the wall and behind it find the cable TV input coax. Unscrew it from the back of the circuit board and attach it to the single pass-through coax connection on the wall plate. Then use the Cable TV connection to connect the satellite receiver and dish to.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 06:54 PM   #3

I used that exact thing checking for a signal.

I would consider myself very comfortable dealing with audio/video connections, but this one has me baffled. I installed custom wiring on my two previous motorhomes. There were cables running from the two wall connections and they both ran to the back of the tv. I have looked everywhere to find pictures or diagrams of the back of the Connexx tv, but I had no luck. The manual was no help either.

I do not have the trailer yet where I can explore it more. I wanted to do it then, but we were late for another appointment. Once I get it in about two weeks I will explore more and report back.
Old 01-28-2023, 07:20 PM   #4

You can split a Dish Network signal as long as it is BEFORE the receiver. I use to share my dish hook up with my niece but they had their own receiver.
sonofabeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 06:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
I have never seen a TV with more than 1 RF (Coax) input, so I seriously doubt you saw two coax cables from the wall plate connected to the TV. There should not be a splitter in the satellite cable run between the inside and outside connection. I strongly recommend that you get one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Stanz-Pocket-.../dp/B01KZ0PL44

Normally the second coaxial cable connection is for the satellite, and the bedroom connection (if there is only one) is a splitter off the antenna/cable TV input behind the wall plate in the living room. They may have mislabeled the connection in the bedroom.

If the satellite connection does indeed run to the bedroom, and you want it in the living room, what you can do is take the living room wall plate off the wall and behind it find the cable TV input coax. Unscrew it from the back of the circuit board and attach it to the single pass-through coax connection on the wall plate. Then use the Cable TV connection to connect the satellite receiver and dish to.
I think I figured out what the second cable is for. Looking at the tv manual I believe it is for the FM signal. There has to be a third output behind the TV somewhere for the satellite. Once I get the trailer in about two weeks I will look for it again. The weather here has been too iffy with snow chances to drive 40 miles to bring it home yet.
Old 01-29-2023, 09:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofabeacher View Post
You can split a Dish Network signal as long as it is BEFORE the receiver. I use to share my dish hook up with my niece but they had their own receiver.
Please elaborate on this scenario using a carryout sat antenna(dish).
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 11:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
It's a special splitter provided by dish network. It passes the satellite signal through to the Hopper primary receiver. The Hopper primary receiver than passes an RF signal on a band completely different from the satellite signal backwards which the dish network splitter then passes to the Joey receivers. The Joey receivers communicate with the Hopper primary receiver, not the satellite dish.

I believe the signals to the Joeys can be split with a normal cable TV splitter after it comes out of the dish network provided splitter. Joeys also pass a control signal back to the Hopper.
Old 01-29-2023, 11:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
It's a special splitter provided by dish network. It passes the satellite signal through to the Hopper primary receiver. The Hopper primary receiver than passes an RF signal on a band completely different from the satellite signal backwards which the dish network splitter then passes to the Joey receivers. The Joey receivers communicate with the Hopper primary receiver, not the satellite dish.

I believe the signals to the Joeys can be split with a normal cable TV splitter after it comes out of the dish network provided splitter. Joeys also pass a control signal back to the Hopper.
Didn't know Hopper/Joey was compatible with any carryout but carryout can only sync with one sat at a time so don't understand the post for 2 receivers via a splitter.
Old 01-29-2023, 06:19 PM   #9

Quote:
I used the Dish Tailgater antenna on a tripod. Put the splitter on a short coax cable and send it into each trailer to the respective receivers. One dish antenna runs 2 campers. You do lose a LITTLE bit of signal but had no problems watching tv.
sonofabeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 07:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofabeacher View Post
I used the Dish Tailgater antenna on a tripod. Put the splitter on a short coax cable and send it into each trailer to the respective receivers. One dish antenna runs 2 campers. You do lose a LITTLE bit of signal but had no problems watching tv.
Can both receivers select different channels independently?
Old 01-29-2023, 08:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Didn't know Hopper/Joey was compatible with any carryout but carryout can only sync with one sat at a time so don't understand the post for 2 receivers via a splitter.
Thanks! Did not realize that. The Tailgater Pro has the splitter built-in to run two Wally receivers, so I assume the splitter would do the same thing. The Dish Network website says they can tune independently but only on channels on the same satellite.
Old 02-07-2023, 03:31 PM   #12

I finally got the rv home where I could check out the connections more. The satellite connection in the bedroom is good to the outside satellite connection. The connection behind the TV does not work, so a splitter must be in there somewhere.
Old 02-07-2023, 03:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray374 View Post
I finally got the rv home where I could check out the connections more. The satellite connection in the bedroom is good to the outside satellite connection. The connection behind the TV does not work, so a splitter must be in there somewhere.
But as you posted earlier Dish will not work through a splitter and if there is only one outside port for the carryout and the bedroom is good and you suspect a splitter for the front TV then the bedroom would have to be off that same splitter. No?
Old 02-07-2023, 05:24 PM   #14

In the bedroom where there is no TV there are two coaxial connections. One is for the cable/ota antenna and the other one is for the satellite. Apparently Forest River ran the satellite feed to only the bedroom.

Behind the L/R TV there is only one connection which I am assuming is for cable/antenna. Someway I need to get a satellite feed cable to the L/R TV. I plan on taking off the L/R cover to see what is back there.

I don't plan on using the bedroom connections at all. I need to somehow get the satellite feed that is there to the bedroom or run another line somehow to the L/R TV. This is a shoddy job by Forest River to only run a satellite feed to a location where there is no TV.
Old 02-07-2023, 06:03 PM   #15

What about a wireless HDMI system (transmitter in the bedroom) for the front TV (receiver). The Wally remote is RF based so walls will not interfere. You might also check to see if the park cable port can be used with this mod to the antenna booster panel via direct feed (no splitters).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img20220203_19303479.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	283715  
Old 02-07-2023, 06:12 PM   #16

With the Dish Wally having an RF remote there is always wireless HDMI from the bedroom to the front TV HDMI port.
Old 02-07-2023, 07:00 PM   #17

Once it quits raining I will open up both the bedroom and the L/R coaxial connections to see what I can find out. I was also told that the splitter location may be behind the fireplace and I will check that also. On my previous fifth wheel I had to add an outlet to the wall where the tv was. This will be my last option.

Being the sat connection in the bedroom works I am betting Forest River did not run a sat line to the L/R TV.
Old 02-08-2023, 06:40 AM   #18

Quote:
What about a wireless HDMI system (transmitter in the bedroom) for the front TV (receiver). The Wally remote is RF based so walls will not interfere. You might also check to see if the park cable port can be used with this mod to the antenna booster panel via direct feed (no splitters).

I will check into a wireless HDMI system after I open up the coaxial locations. I will have to put up a shelf also for the Wally and HDMI transmitter to sit on being the connections in the bedroom at in the ceiling.
Old 02-09-2023, 05:34 PM   #19

After checking into all of my options I decided to put in a new coaxial port and run the line directly to the TV cabinet. I ordered the exact same coaxial waterproof port that is on the trailer now.

I just need to verify where the studs are before drilling the hole. Will a stud finder locate them?

Tags
lite, satellite