Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2019, 07:33 PM   #1

Considering some rear view camera options

Howdy...
New 2608BS coming in a few weeks... TV is a 2007 GMC 2500 with a Kenwood DDX9703S dash-mounted stereo that has a built in backup camera.
I am thinking about ways I can put in a rearview camera on the trailer. Two goals; view while driving, view while backing and parking.

I'm considering just getting a cheap CMOS video output camera and mounting it on the back and then plugging it into the Kenwood head unit; it has another input for a dashcam. Not sure on the quality or frame rate for driving though. These things are as cheap as $12. Not sure, however, if I can play music, radio, whatever, from the kenwood while the camera is running. Need to find that out...

So the question... for wired units, how do you get the signal to the TV? Is there a separate disconnect connector? Would almost have to be...

I could also possibly just move the backup cam in place now to the trailer but the hookup question still remains...

I've also considered a complete wireless unit but am balking at installing yet another monitor on the dash somewhere. Seems excessive when I already have the unit in the photo. Don't really want to poke holes in the dash, either.
So then I'm thinking something that will connect to the smartphone, but then I have video playing on the smartphone all the time. Not optimal either.

Anyone else run into this? Any good ideas for a cam without making the dash look like star trek?
Thanks.
Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kenwood pic1.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	295.9 KB
ID:	218048  
Falconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:42 PM   #2

Call the Tadi brothers on the phone and see what have to fill your needs. One of the best companies I have ever worked with on the internet. I mean they went out of there way and sent me temporary equipment while we waited for what I really wanted to come into stock.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:27 AM   #3
NXR

Thanks. Those folks have some unique products.

Ray
Old 10-27-2019, 12:37 PM   #4
Rookie

2 things to consider if you decide to use the factory screen...
-you'll be looking down to view the rear view when driving (not normal after viewing a RVM for years)
-you'll lose the screen for normal stereo use

I picked up this system and am happy with it so far; mounted the screen on top of the dash under the regular RVM:
Haloview MC5111 5'' 720P HD... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QQSSP63...p_mob_ap_shareClick image for larger version

Name:	0923191317.jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	218153
Old 10-27-2019, 01:25 PM   #5
NXR

Wow, that picture makes it look like you're wedged under a semi or something.

Ray
Old 10-27-2019, 03:23 PM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Any good ideas for a cam without making the dash look like star trek?
Thanks.
That's me, lol. TPMS screen, portable GPS screen on dash, iPhone in Otti holder, and Haloview 7" screen hanging from rear view mirror. My jet fighter pilot fantasies have finally come true....
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 02:40 PM   #7

A wired system will usually come with 3 cables. #1 goes from the rear of TV to the head unit. You need to get under you vehicle and run the cable, which will always involve coming up thru the floorboard (or thru the firewall if you run it into the engine compartment first) and running under the dash to the back of the head unit - which necessarily would need to be removed and re-installed. #3 is the cable from the camera on the back of your TT to the front of it. #2 is a retractable coil type length that connects those two. The power for the camera usually involves splicing cable #1 into a hot circuit under the dash.

In my opinion, a good wireless system is much easier to install (and is removable and transferrable if you change TT). The quality is much improved over early models and poor video and video drop-outs are pretty much a thing of the past (unless we're talking those cheap $12 amazon toys, of course).

You don't have to plop the monitor on the dash somewhere. I made a hanger for mine - took all of about 1 to 1-1/2 hours - that slips over the rear view mirror. The mirror is useless when hooked up anyway and having the monitor up there makes it a natural move to glance up to the "rear view mirror" and check what is behind me just the same as if I was driving with no trailer hooked up.
There are several threads here about rear view / backup cameras. A search should find them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Haloview hanger.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	218229  
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 03:40 PM   #8
Trailer Park Supervisor

A fine piece of engineering that is, Gastan! BTW, I tucked the power cord into the headliner and down the A-post trim piece, so when in use, there is no cord hanging down. I can easily unplug the monitor from the power line and take it down for when I'm not towing.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:36 PM   #9

We had a similar situation, but with a cargo trailer. Granted, the cargo trailer was much easier to route wiring, but the basics apply.

Our 2013 Silverado had the tow package, but came without a rear view camera and rear sensors. I mounted a license plate frame camera on the Silverado and bumper sensors. The camera was routed to the in-dash head unit we had installed. That left me with the dilemma of the trailer cam.

I used a Rear View Safety rear view camera because it has longevity and a 170 degree viewing area. I mounted a secondary 5-pin connector above my hitch. The wiring was routed to the head unit. However, the connectors from the camera circuit to the head unit had a RVS proprietary interface. Not expensive, but very necessary.

That presented two problems. The aftermarket sensors, unlike the factory, were not silent when a trailer was connected and the license plate camera would come on when backing up. To solve this, I mounted two small rocker switches into the driver side plastic seat belt retractor housing. Flipping switch 1 cut the power to the backup sensors and switch 2 broke the circuit to the license plate camera. No distracting noise and the trailer camera worked because the circuit to the trailer cam was not interrupted. I installed it in 2013 and it is still fully functional.

The switches were a bargain on eBay, but came in a package of 10. I recall the switches fit into a 1/2" hole and snap into place. The switches do not interfere with the seat belt operation.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PA280853.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	218247   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA280854.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	218248   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA280855.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	218249  
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
A fine piece of engineering that is, Gastan! BTW, I tucked the power cord into the headliner and down the A-post trim piece, so when in use, there is no cord hanging down. I can easily unplug the monitor from the power line and take it down for when I'm not towing.
Thanks. I hope it is still working good for you. That's a great idea, Kris. I'll have to investigate that. I'm taking the truck in to have the headliner redone in two weeks. It would be great IF I can find the time to wiggle a project like that in before-hand.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:30 AM   #11

I got one from ebay for 175 bucks same one dealer wanted 500 for, and it plug and play.
jozack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera