Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2024, 07:09 PM   #1

Convection Microwave - your thoughts?

What are your thoughts on convection microwaves? Anyone have one and absolutely love it?

We've seen some on some higher end campers and were tossing around the idea of replacing the cheapo microwave that came in our trailer or taking out the propane oven and replacing it with the convection microwave.

Words of wisdom?

Thanks

Ricko
RickoMathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 07:52 PM   #2

Not much a fan of oven cooking ...
Weber for ribs is my forte
Haven't even tried using my oven,

Heard a lot good stuff about Induction cooktops though
especially for outside kitchens.
Old 05-17-2024, 08:18 PM   #3

We don't have an oven. We cook almost everything on the grill. I cook biscuits, bacon, sausage, scrambled and fried eggs, and cornbread on the grill. Although, I prefer corn-on-the-cob cooked with the shuck-on in the microwave. If you've never tried it, it sure makes it delicious, and no silk to deal with. Otherwise, the MW is only used for a quick warm-up.

I'm not sold on convection microwaves. I've found that true convictions ovens are great.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 08:37 PM   #4

Our toy hauler came with a Convection oven/Microwave in place of a standard Oven. A PITA to use as it is where the oven normally would be, near the floor.We have never used the Convection mode as of yet. I noticed after 2017 they went with the microwave up at normal level.
Old 05-17-2024, 08:53 PM   #5

We replaced the over the stove microwave with a convection/microwave oven. We love it and bake in it all the time.

We use the oven in the stove to store paper towels..lol

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 09:16 PM   #6

We have one in ours and use it often. If you don't have time or don't want to pull out the grill, the connection microwave works well and is convenient.
-Demco Air Force One
-Remco 2pc Drive Shaft w/Disconnect
-Blue-Ox Avail Tow Bar and Baseplate
NewToTheForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 09:44 PM   #7

Cost of convection option is about $300.

The DW loves using ours whenever she can. In Moab boondocking we used it one day while charging the battery.

They are a little faster than gas.

We have only used our gas stove a couple of times while boondocking. In 5 years.

We tend to go on long trips. Prepackaged home made food a lot. The barbeque is used weekly.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 09:46 PM   #8

at home we have the microwave / convection oven / air fryer combo - besides normal microwave is mostly great for 'fried' brussel sprouts, a good baked potato without heating up the house and reheating pizza well. All the dishes & platforms take up room so I don't think I would like it in the TT

Terri & Joe w/ the beasts: Boont, Tasha & Phoebe
Now with Joe's retirement the 2024 Rockwood 2608BS plus 2024 F250.
Was a 2013 MicroLite 21FBRS and 1996 F250.
Time to do some serious traveling now! ...
Life Without Whine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 10:02 PM   #9

Our first 2 RVs had a microwave AND a propane oven. The oven was nice because when dry camping, we could use it without having to run the generator . Our current RV has a micro/convection combo. Before I switched over to Lithium batteries, even w 6 GC batts, running off the inverter was iffy. Now we can run off battery, so that's good. The microwave doesn't seem to heat up food as fast as the home one does, though.
Tony Ramirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 07:02 AM   #10

We have a convection/microwave in our sticks & bricks kitchen and our MH. There is a slight learning curve but we use both alot and like them.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 07:43 AM   #11

Go for it. We live in a "microwave" age -- speed is everything.

Even so cooking is much like a hobby to many folks. On the other hand I should have stock in Stouffer's, the top of the BBFG (basic bachelor food groups).

-- Chuck
Old 05-18-2024, 07:44 AM   #12

My toy hauler came with the convection microwave. I can't say I'm really a fan of it but I have to admit, it makes the best baked potatoes. I'd much rather have a gas stove, I loved to use them in the past to make some biscuits on those cool mornings and it would take the chill out of the camper.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 08:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riich View Post
My toy hauler came with the convection microwave. I can't say I'm really a fan of it but I have to admit, it makes the best baked potatoes. I'd much rather have a gas stove, I loved to use them in the past to make some biscuits on those cool mornings and it would take the chill out of the camper.
You made me hungry craving biscuits now. What's your recipe for stovetop biscuits, or did you mean oven?
Tony Ramirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 10:47 AM   #14

Love mine

In the sticks and bricks I have a convection microwave, and while I don't use it for that function often, I do love it. I mainly use the convection function if I'm cooking for a group and need both ovens. I'm considering replacing the microwave in the camper with a combo convection / microwave / air fryer. I use the gas stove (at home and in the camper) mainly.
Old 05-20-2024, 05:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickoMathis View Post
What are your thoughts on convection microwaves? Anyone have one and absolutely love it?

We've seen some on some higher end campers and were tossing around the idea of replacing the cheapo microwave that came in our trailer or taking out the propane oven and replacing it with the convection microwave.

Words of wisdom?

Thanks

We have a microwave/convection oven in our rig and the better half loves it (so do I because the Ribs she makes come out awesome). We still carry a grill but it doesn't get used much.

Ricko

We have a microwave/convection oven in our rig and the better half loves it (so do I because the Ribs she makes come out awesome). We still carry a grill but it doesn't get used much.
Old 05-27-2024, 06:49 PM   #16

We have a convection/microwave combo and it does okay. We default to using the propane oven over the convection function because it’s quicker. The oven seems to preheat much faster on propane than the combo oven. If you have the budget, kid recommend you look at an air fried/microwave/convection combo. We use our air fried more than the oven, stove and microwave because it’s just so versatile. When the time comes to replace our range, it will definitely include an air fry function.

Cheers!
Old 05-27-2024, 08:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickoMathis View Post
What are your thoughts on convection microwaves? Anyone have one and absolutely love it? We've seen some on some higher end campers and were tossing around the idea of replacing the cheapo microwave that came in our trailer or taking out the propane oven . . . .
It really depends on how you use your RV. If you always have electrical hookups, then by all means replace the microwave with a conv-micro. And you won't need the propane oven either.

If you dry camp in NP, USFS, BLM, or recreation/wildlife area cgs. and don't have a generator, removing the propane oven could limit cooking to burners and the outdoor grill. And if you like to prepare frozen meals before RV trips, like my wife does, no generator or gas oven will hinder that unless they are all skillet meals

We dry camp and boondock (disperse camp) fairly frequently with one propane burner, one induction cooktop, and a conv-micro. But we have solar, Li batteries, a 2kW inverter, and a 3.6kW generator, so the induction and conv-micro are usable anywhere, even during quiet hours.
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 09:54 PM   #18

I had one in our 2005 and absolutely loved it. When it went out after 12 yrs, I bought another one at the F.R.O.G. rally and a fellow rally friend helped my husband put it in.
desuhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 11:02 PM   #19

Convection/Microwave

New camper has this and so I haven't had a chance to use it yet. Leaving in June for a cross country trip.
I anticipate some issues as I am more than two feet tall and also not a contortionist.
I can do without a microwave and prefer a gas stove.
But, compromise.
Poodlecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 12:03 AM   #20

My Rexhall Motorhome had one, and we used the heck out of it. It worked for everything an oven would. One Thanksgiving we were dispersed camping and my wife wanted to cook a turkey (not too big) We turned the generator on and went on a 4 hour hike. Came back to a fully cooked turkey. Luckily the motorhome didn't burn down. But we were OK with it, if it did.
Clffhnger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microwave