Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2018, 11:49 AM   #1

Convert from 15k Dometic to Mach 15 without changing thermostats?

Hi All, I have a 2018 Shockwave with a 15K Dometic AC unit. The thing works ok when it's like 75 degrees but past 80 and it's done (starts blowing warm air). Sure it's under warranty but my dealer has tested it on 2 different occasions and he says it's just fine. I have also called Dometic and they were no help. I told them I heard there were a number of 15K units that were undercharged from the factory and they admitted that there were some but after checking my serial number, they said mine was not one of them.

So My question is, can I convert to a Coleman Mach 15 without changing thermostats? I see that there are conversion kits to go from a Coleman to a Dometic but I don't see any that go the other way.

I am also considering adding a port to the Dometic and see if that helps it work better as I have a friend who has the tools to pull a vacuum then recharge. Yes I am aware that would void any warranty but the warranty seems to be useless in my case.

Thank you for any help.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:01 PM   #2

If your thinking of scraping the unit I would first check on getting it replaced under warranty. Use the squeaky wheel technic. With that said, I as well have a friend who does a lot of work for my company in repairing small units such as Crawlspace dehumidifies. Our front Dometic unit acted the same way. He brazed in ports and tested the unit for leaks could not find any using nitrogen. Vacuumed down and refilled to spec. That was a year ago it works better than our 15000 rear unit for putting out cold air. Many will say it is not worth fixing, if it's free or minimal cost it may very well take care of your issue.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:05 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Hello,

1 AC in my Rockwood 2703 WS never kept up. Do you have a second unit? Might look at a 13.5 for the Bedroom and just run a separate service entrance for the second AC on a 20 amp rated plug.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, thermostat