Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #1

Converter upgrade

I have a 2004 FR Wildwood T26FK. I installed a Alpine stereo system that has a plug-and-play compact Class D amplifier for Alpine in-dash receivers. When I crank up the sound it cuts off for just a few seconds then comes back on. Bottom line is I cant play it as loud as I prefer. I think the issue is my converter needs to be larger. Does anyone know about upgrading the converters? Should I get one with more amps? My TT is just a standard 30 amp service, one 12 volt battery,etc. nothing extra.
hldurham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The converter works in conjunction with the battery so I don't believe thats your issue.
Since you didn't say I will assume your converter is a wfco and probably a 55 amp which is more than enough to run your stereo imo .

If your battery isn't going dead and all 12v items are working your converter and charging system are working.

I believe you have a problem with your install or radio to be honest.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hldurham View Post
I have a 2004 FR Wildwood T26FK. I installed a Alpine stereo system that has a plug-and-play compact Class D amplifier for Alpine in-dash receivers. When I crank up the sound it cuts off for just a few seconds then comes back on. Bottom line is I cant play it as loud as I prefer. I think the issue is my converter needs to be larger. Does anyone know about upgrading the converters? Should I get one with more amps? My TT is just a standard 30 amp service, one 12 volt battery,etc. nothing extra.
Maybe it is just karma at work.
It may not be loud enough for you, but how about the campers who like peace and quiet?
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
The converter works in conjunction with the battery so I don't believe thats your issue.
Since you didn't say I will assume your converter is a wfco and probably a 55 amp which is more than enough to run your stereo imo .

If your battery isn't going dead and all 12v items are working your converter and charging system are working.

I believe you have a problem with your install or radio to be honest.

Turbs
Its actually a Parallax 7300 series. the radio works great except when you increase the volume. I have noticed though that sometimes my lights in my TT dim without the stereo on and I get a occasional 'electrical" smell so I do believe its possibly my converter is going bad, what is your opinion on that. If I replace my converter do you recommend the WFCO brand. I know nothing about converters , are they simply just "plug in and use"?
Old 07-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I would extremely recommend a progressive dynamics converter and you can up the amp size if you want.
id recommend 70 or 80 amp
PD9200 Series RV Power Converters

I would also recommend the charge wizard as well.
Converter Status Remote Pendant

turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #6

How big is your amp ? depending on the power of your amp, it should be directly ran to the battery however its okay to run your switching circuit to your converter
Sistahazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #7

converter upgrade

Its a in line amp that plugs in between the radio and the power dis- connect,not much power but increases clarity in the sound.

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #8
Owner/Operator

The owners manual specifications do not list the current draw of this amplifier, but it does contain a 15 Amp fuse. That's a heap of a power draw, but besides draining a battery pretty fast, it should run when using shore power and the converter.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
Maybe it is just karma at work.
It may not be loud enough for you, but how about the campers who like peace and quiet?
X2...not everyone wants to listen to loud music when they are camping.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrstroke2012 View Post

X2...not everyone wants to listen to loud music when they are camping.
You both are making the assumption that he doesn't have like minded neighbors (if any, at all)...
Old 07-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

You both are making the assumption that he doesn't have like minded neighbors (if any, at all)...
X2. you are amking assumptions that just on't fit here. Cut it out, and help da OP
Old 07-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

IMO sounds like you are using the factory wiring, it may be too small,,as the amp draws on this wiring, it may not be getting the current it needs, due to the wire size,and resetting to protect it self. Point, I think if you replace the converter, and still use the small gauge wire, you may not fix this problem. Also, if you are running any other things at the same time, that will multiply the problem,this is why it is suggested to run directly to battery, with a fused link. But , you will have a better system !
Rolling buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote