Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2020, 08:09 PM   #21

I am of the opinion that propane heat is "warmer" than electric heat. The temperature of the heat coming out of the register is hotter than electric, by and large. I like it to be warm when it is cold.
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 02:33 AM   #22

My opinion is that anything to do with an RV, boat, or aircraft is expensive.
When using heat, I'd rather use electricity if available to avoid having to hunt for propane as often in the cold.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:06 PM   #23

If you use the above which states that propane is really cheaper then electricity it is not by much but I find the propane way more troublesome. The 30lb tanks are heavy when full. I am not getting any younger. We try to stay away from places were we need a lot of heat and we use small electric heaters as needed in early spring in the UP of MI. We have never been in 10 degree F weather. It does not get the cold in SE Texas. It has been many years since we have had weather like that. I don't think that my fiver, rated for fulltime use, would do well with R9 sides and front and rear. It is R38 for ceiling and floor.
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 12:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by garywilson View Post
My opinion is that anything to do with an RV, boat, or aircraft is expensive.
When using heat, I'd rather use electricity if available to avoid having to hunt for propane as often in the cold.
It's been my experience that most places where electricity is available propane is either available in the campground, campground will get tanks filled for campers, or the nearby gas station has propane service available.

Only time it's a hassle is when boondocking which is why I carry a couple 20# tanks I can connect to my TT via a 5' hose with gauge.

If cold and expect to use a lot of Propane I run off the 20# tanks and then switch back to the 30# tank(s) while I go get propane using the lighter and easier to handle 20# tanks. With a total of 100# of propane at my disposal I can easily stay warm for over a week of boondocking in freezing cold.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 01:27 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanFMiller View Post
New to the RV camper world. 1st Snowbird during 'cold' months, Dec, Jan, Feb.

Will be in temp range where night may dip to freezing, day into 60's/70's.

Next RV Park charges for electricity; each site is metered. They also provide a 100# LP tank use for free ( of course I must pay for the propane ).

So: the question is, IN GENERAL, is one better off heating with the built-in LP furnace OR using electric space heaters IN TERMS OF COST.
( I have a fake fireplace which so far in December has been totally adequate ).
I expect the result would also apply to running the water heater on LP vs Electric.

I don't have figures on cost per pound/gallon of LP or per KWH but I expect there is a general 'rule' known to those with more experience. I do know that by law the park owner cannot profit on the charge for electric so it's the going commercial rate.

So, any input appreciated.

Jan...
I like to know what my costs are everywhere I go. So I use propane. I Cary 2 - grill tanks on the rig and one in my truck bed. They will last 2-weeks in the winter if it’s not super cold below 30 deg. I just unhook the tank and go down the road and have it filled at a Southern Ststes or swap them out.
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 03:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandog View Post
I like to know what my costs are everywhere I go. So I use propane. I Cary 2 - grill tanks on the rig and one in my truck bed. They will last 2-weeks in the winter if it’s not super cold below 30 deg. I just unhook the tank and go down the road and have it filled at a Southern Ststes or swap them out.
Last January I met a guy who had a 1-Ton that had only tool boxes on the side of a custom bed on it to tow his 5'er. Gave him extra room on top of the boxes (and below his trailer when hitched) to store some propane tanks.

In talking to him about the tanks he said he liked having the extra tanks (about 6 as I recall) as he just filled them up whenever he was in an area where Propane costs were low and used as needed until they were empty. Then it was time to fill when he went by another low price. Around where I live the price can vary as much as a dollar per gallon.

He had tanks that had to be filled in the vertical position, used in the horizontal position, but transported in either position. He had them fastened to the truck body in the horizontal. Made by Manchester.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric