Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2021, 09:56 PM   #1

Creating an internal WiFi network?

I’m looking to create an ad hoc WiFi network inside my trailer.

I just bought a new 24” Vizio tv, which includes SmartCast, which allows my to connect via Apple AirPlay. But I think I need to have a WiFi network to connect my iPad to it. Anyone know if I can create an ad hoc network directly from the iPad? Or, from an iPhone... without using data?

I don’t need an internet connection. Just a way to make connect the devices wirelessly to play movies, music, etc. from one to the other.

I really don’t want to take a laptop just to create a network. An Apple TV is also a no go, but I might be willing to install an old wireless router if need be.

Any thoughts?
jaseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:38 PM   #2

happen to have a WifiRanger device in your trailer?

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:37 PM   #3

https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Wire...ter-TEW-714TRU

$15

For a little bit more you can get a travel router that runs off a USB port for power so it will even work when not connected to AC power.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:03 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbflag21ds View Post
happen to have a WifiRanger device in your trailer?
The OP apparently has a Wildwood X-lite. That's an entry-level TT so doubt it came with a WiFi Ranger.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:08 AM   #5

My Samsung Galaxy will work as a Wifi hotspot, and I would assume Apple phones would do so as well. Whether you connect to the internet through it would likely be a matter of how you use it.

It might seem a bit old school, but is it possible to connect from your iPad to your television using an adapter cable instead of wireless?

A quick Google search yielded what is probably the perfect option for you -

https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Lig...-1214000359372

2021 Wolf Pup 16FQ
2005 Toyota Sequoia
Hoomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:13 PM   #6

Correct, no WiFi Ranger, or any other connection at the moment.

Hoomi,
I’m actually trying to do it without a cable if possible. It was my original though as well, but we’d like to be able to watch tv in bed, controlling from the iPad, which would require having a cord strung basically from one end of the cabin to the other.

I have been thinking about using the phone as an ad hoc, but my concern is that it may still try using cell data. I’ll have to see if putting it in airplane mode disables the WiFi. I also have an old phone with no service I may try instead.

My next option would be buying a cheap, used router just to create a network.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:15 PM   #7

A link to a $15 router was provided in post #3. How much cheaper do you hope to get?

Oops, the link might have been broken:
https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Wire.../dp/B00FEE7LW2
Old 04-13-2021, 01:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoomi View Post
My Samsung Galaxy will work as a Wifi hotspot, and I would assume Apple phones would do so as well. Whether you connect to the internet through it would likely be a matter of how you use it.

It might seem a bit old school, but is it possible to connect from your iPad to your television using an adapter cable instead of wireless?

A quick Google search yielded what is probably the perfect option for you -

https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Lig...-1214000359372
This is what we use to connect the iPad directly to the TV after having downloaded movies and content to the pad. We purchased a much more expensive cable though...about $40 and get a quality picture on our TV.

OTR 2024-22 / 2023-29 / 2022-52
2021-51 / 2020-29 / 2019-71 / 2018-49
ArkRVHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaseman View Post
I’m looking to create an ad hoc WiFi network inside my trailer.

I just bought a new 24” Vizio tv, which includes SmartCast, which allows my to connect via Apple AirPlay. But I think I need to have a WiFi network to connect my iPad to it. Anyone know if I can create an ad hoc network directly from the iPad? Or, from an iPhone... without using data?

I don’t need an internet connection. Just a way to make connect the devices wirelessly to play movies, music, etc. from one to the other.

I really don’t want to take a laptop just to create a network. An Apple TV is also a no go, but I might be willing to install an old wireless router if need be.

Any thoughts?
After burning through 50 gigs of hotspot data on my AT&T phone quickly I too needed a solution. You must have a real internet connection to cast (or Airplay for Apple) from your device to the TV like you would at home. What I'll be trying is a lightening to HDMI cable (already mentioned in these posts) but connecting it to my phone to the TV.

With my unlimited data plan, I'm hoping that will allow me to keep up with YouTubeTV, Netflix, or whatever I wish to stream. Of course this is based on having a decent cell signal and I enhance mine a bit with a custom installed WeBoost. (My antenna is on top of my unit.) Hope this helps.

Old 04-13-2021, 01:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkRVHog View Post
You must have a real internet connection to cast (or Airplay for Apple) from your device to the TV like you would at home.
Leo Laporte disagrees:
https://techguylabs.com/episodes/992...net-connection

He says you don't need internet for Airplay just the WiFi network. If it was me, I would get a router for less than $20 to create a WiFi network for all the devices to connect to. The router I linked to even has a USB port for sharing from a USB storage device.

In my trailer, I have a Raspberry Pi with a USB hard drive connected to it. It also runs Kodi for my media server. It also creates an adhoc WiFi network that my phone, tablet, laptop computer can connect to and I can play movies from the USB hard drive on any of the devices wirelessly. If I had a smart TV in the trailer, it could as well (just like my home TV does), but my Raspberry Pi is mounted behind my trailer TV and connected with HDMI cable. DISCLAIMER - my setup is not apple though.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:40 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Most WIFI routers will dish out DHCP addresses without having an internet connection.
If it is brand new you 'may' have to use a wired connection from a computer to the router to get into setup but maybe not.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Leo Laporte disagrees:
https://techguylabs.com/episodes/992...net-connection

He says you don't need internet for Airplay just the WiFi network. If it was me, I would get a router for less than $20 to create a WiFi network for all the devices to connect to. The router I linked to even has a USB port for sharing from a USB storage device.

In my trailer, I have a Raspberry Pi with a USB hard drive connected to it. It also runs Kodi for my media server. It also creates an adhoc WiFi network that my phone, tablet, laptop computer can connect to and I can play movies from the USB hard drive on any of the devices wirelessly. If I had a smart TV in the trailer, it could as well (just like my home TV does), but my Raspberry Pi is mounted behind my trailer TV and connected with HDMI cable. DISCLAIMER - my setup is not apple though.
I read the same tech articles. But I also spoke with Apple tech support who verified...no internet...no Airplay IF you are trying to stream content from the web. My iPhone to Apple TV box would act like it wanted to connect but would just spin and spin and finally time out saying "check your internet connection."

If Airplay is working via a router WITHOUT internet connectivity, I'd like to know. Airplay content that resides on your phone or pad, can be cast to your TV I believe...but I'm wanting to stream from the web using my data plan.

Old 04-13-2021, 10:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkRVHog View Post
but I'm wanting to stream from the web using my data plan.
What you want to do and what jaseman wants to do are two completely different things. Jaseman only wants to stream content from one device connected to the internal network to another device connected to the internal network - not stream content from the web, which would, of course, require an internet connection.

If, by some chance despite what the experts say, one apple device won't stream content stored on that device to another apple device without connecting to the internet in between the two.....well I wouldn't (and don't) be using apple devices for my entertainment while traveling.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:08 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post

If, by some chance despite what the experts say, one apple device won't stream content stored on that device to another apple device without connecting to the internet in between the two.....well I wouldn't (and don't) be using apple devices for my entertainment while traveling.
I won't use an Apple product for anything. If someone gave me an Apple product, I'd sell it or give it away!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 01:14 PM   #15

NavyLCDR is correct. I’m basically just trying to make a wireless LAN for connecting devices and content already in local storage.

First test was to try routing through an old iPhone 5 that no longer has cell service. That’s a no go, as without a cellular connection it won’t even allow you to make it a hotspot. Even here in the house, with WiFi to the phone it’s no dice.

That’s as far as I got, since I had to do a brake job on the truck, as well as some other things. I’m also waiting to see if a friend, who networks homes and businesses for a living, has an old router at the office that I can have. $15 ain’t bad, but free is better. Also want to bring the TV into the house and updated the firmware, and make sure I can get it to talk with the iPad.... make sure they play nice to begin with.

I’ll also need to buy a RCA to HDMI adapter. The TV only has HDMI on the back (might have VGA or DisplayPort), and of course, the DVD/radio unit in the cabin only has RCA jacks... who the f**k think that’s acceptable in this day and age (camper is only 5 years old).

First trip’s not for another month, so I’ve got time to figure it out.
Old 04-14-2021, 01:34 PM   #16

jaseman - If I understand your issue you want to use your existing Hardware Apple Products to watch movies and items you've stored on your ipad or other to cast to your Vizio. without internet - I am not versed as other on Apple Products so I will leave that to others.

However I have an android system and solutions that Ive used and am using.
I will forgo having you look at the NVIDIA Shield TV where you can connect an external drive worth all your videos, TV, movies, Music, media to. (since it looks like you want to keep your Apple Devices)

Another way to accomplish the ability to watch your media on your TV would be to get a TV with a USB connection (SmartTV)
You could load all your media to an External Drive (you pick the size) and use your TV to watch the items on the drive.
My Home TV as a USB input, I connect a 4TB drive with media (to make is easier I have Folders & files organized so it is easy to locate what I want to watch.
(Movies, TV, Music, Pictures) and change the "source" to AUX/USB and select the MP4 or movie I want to watch. ​

In addition
Google / Android has Chromecast basically acts as a bridge between your TV and your phone or tablet (But that is not a Apple Prodct)
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo44 View Post
In addition
Google / Android has Chromecast basically acts as a bridge between your TV and your phone or tablet (But that is not a Apple Prodct)
Chromecast requires a WiFi connection as well. At least mine does, but it's an older one. Apple TV HD (4th Gen) is theoretically able to do Airplay without Wifi. I have one, but as yet have not tested it. We burned through all of our AT&T hotspot data pretty quickly streaming Netflix so I'm hoping the Apple TV + Airplay works. If not, the lightening>HDMI cables work pretty well.
timdsmith72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdsmith72 View Post
Chromecast requires a WiFi connection as well. At least mine does, but it's an older one. Apple TV HD (4th Gen) is theoretically able to do Airplay without Wifi. I have one, but as yet have not tested it. We burned through all of our AT&T hotspot data pretty quickly streaming Netflix so I'm hoping the Apple TV + Airplay works. If not, the lightening>HDMI cables work pretty well.
Newer Chromecast can work without an internet connection, its firmware has to be up to date. On your primary device, open a Google Cast-ready app and click the "Cast" button. The primary device will begin to search for nearby compatible devices.

However, Im not a fan of the Chromecast,
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:38 PM   #19

I wonder how many people are confusing WiFi with internet. They are two entirely different things.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo44 View Post
Newer Chromecast can work without an internet connection, its firmware has to be up to date. On your primary device, open a Google Cast-ready app and click the "Cast" button. The primary device will begin to search for nearby compatible devices.

However, Im not a fan of the Chromecast,
I thought I had read somewhere that the new ones could. Mine is a first gen, though so it can't. I actually like Chromecast, but not well enough to buy a new one.
timdsmith72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wifi

« AC | Wiring Diagram »