Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2017, 04:56 PM   #1

Dehumidifier advice

I'm one of those who have had A/C problems since the day I bought my TT. I'm now on my third Dometic 15K unit and it's not cooling the TT in this S. Ga. heat/humidity. Memorial Day weekend was a disaster. On Saturday the temp at Jellystone Park in Madison, FL. was a full 92* and at 2 p.m. the inside of the TT was 91* with the A/C running. We were parked under two huge oak trees but the morning sun got us early. After about 2 p.m. we started getting the benefit (?) of the trees shade. While taking to another camper who was having the similar problem he asked me if I had ever used a dehumidifier in the TT, nope I had not thought or heard of that one although I do have a nice large one in the house. A new central A/C unit with dehumidifier in the house last year solved the problem of using the portable device so it's just sitting in one of the bedrooms. After getting home I placed the TT in the backyard where it stays and placed the dehumidifier in it. I set the t'stat to 72* and the dehumidifier running. The spot in my backyard is not as shaded as the campground was but it does have some shade. The outside temp Tuesday reached a high of 89* about 3 p.m. when I went in to check the temps. Surprise, the inside temp as at 74* and it felt comfortable. The dehumidifier tank, app. one gallon, was half full after maybe five hours of running. I let this combo run for three days and the temp inside the TT stayed around 73*-74* and felt nice. My question: Does anyone else have a dehumidifier in their RV that is smaller than this big 35# monster I'm using for the testing? Does anyone have any knowledge of this "Peltier Technology" for dehumidifier's that does not use a compressor? I'm sitting on the bubble as far as adding a second A/C unit to my TT and this may be a better way to go for creature comfort. Thanks, , ,
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:15 PM   #2

Peltier technology dehumidifier. Does it work...yes. Does it work as good as a compresssor type dehumidifier...no. Lots of trade offs in the comparison. Countering high temps and humidity in getting an RV cool has not been a one solution fix, from my experience. The Eva Dry 2200 pulls about a liter over a couple days give or take on how high the humidity is. It doesn't weigh a lot, draws very little current, makes little noise, stores easy and doesn't release a bunch of additional heat into the RV that you're trying to cool. My TT came with a 13.5 KBtu Colman-Mach( optimized, with special thanks to Herk on the forum) As to your ? of electronic dehumidifier or 2nd AC. Long green difference...<$75 to ? and probably some extra power needed to run it.
Mine is OK tolerable and the AC does cycle, considering, digital t-stat, 3 air circulating fans, foam heat blocks added to ceiling vents X3 and the skylight in the bath. Good camping

You want to do a SEARCH on ACs, essentially you are going to seal the hot side from the cold side and seal up the duct work gaps with aluminum tape, maybe self adhesive aluminum duct wrap (R3) is what I used. Others have had results with reflectix. It will, combined, all have a positive effect
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote