Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2019, 01:04 PM   #1

Direct TV

First, I apologize for asking these questions as I am sure that they have been asked a thousand times before, BUT I can't find any current threads about this issue, only those from 2015 or so, again, sorry.

I am going to the coast razor clamming this weekend and am taking one of my Direct TV HD receivers, and a tri-pod mounted sat dish & LNB I bought last year from Wineguard, a SWM compatible one. I have found the azimuth and elevation for the camping site based on zip code. I will set up the dish with these #s beforehand.

I am hoping for some specific steps to take when using the HD receiver as a means of dialing in signal strength. I have done this before with Bell Express and it was very easy.

Thank you in advance for your help. Floatflyer
Floatflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:53 AM   #2

Wow, with all the activity on this website I am surprised that nobody has commented on this request for help. I would have guessed that this is not a unique problem but I guess others aren't having the same issues as me. Ni Modo!
Old 05-16-2019, 10:03 AM   #3

I think to point the dish you want to use a signal strength meter. This way you don't have to rely on the receiver to point the dish. I've never done this, but I have watched a few dish installs on my house.
DNA Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:10 AM   #4

Maybe others are like myself. I read your post and saw that you actually have it under control and understand what to do. You have the coordinates to point your dish in the general direction, and then use the receiver program to fine tune it. Not sure what specifics you are looking for.
My only suggestions are to use one of the many phone apps to assist in placing your dish, and then review some of the instructional videos available on YouTube.
You got this!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:23 AM   #5

Good points by you and thanks for the reply. Well, I do have some of this, I think, figured out, BUT, am trying to over prepare rather than not. For example, it "appears" that satellite 101 is what you aim at for Direct tv hd, but I am not 100% sure. A friend recommended Satfinde Lite as an app which I now have but haven't used.

With other systems I am pretty confident on setting up the dish with the correct azimuth/elevation. Where I am most concerned is trying to find the info screens on my tv/receiver. I am horrible at negotiating the various menus on almost any "device". So, we shall see. The Youtube videos haven't shown me the same steps to do, some have a meter, some a different app and so forth.

At one time my 2004 vintage Bird Dog worked fine but since those days I have been unable to program in different satellites and this new, to me, SWM system has added more complexity to my attempts.

We shall see, thanks again, Floatflyer
Old 05-16-2019, 10:53 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

How close to where you live are you camping?

I often tell first timers when setting up the dish to do it at home where you have reference to your home dishes orientation.

If you go within 100-150 miles of that radius you don't need to change anything.

Simply get the dish mast level and fine tune the signal by swiveling the dish on the mount.

As mentioned, an app like dish pointer works very well for us.

Signal meters are in the setup screens of the receiver. You'll need to select the proper dish configuration and then go to signal strength.

Once you get the hang of it, waiting for the receiver to boot is the longest process you'll encounter.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:05 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Maybe others are like myself. I read your post and saw that you actually have it under control and understand what to do. You have the coordinates to point your dish in the general direction, and then use the receiver program to fine tune it. Not sure what specifics you are looking for.
My only suggestions are to use one of the many phone apps to assist in placing your dish, and then review some of the instructional videos available on YouTube.
You got this!
Yep. I use SatFinder Lite to place the antenna in a suitable place. This app has a list of satellites with numbers and descriptions. I select the ones with “DIRECTV” in the description. I use the Signal Strength meter built into the receiver and set it to the audio setting so I can hear its beep frequency increase when I am close enough.

I don’t have/need a signal strength meter other than what’s provided in the main receiver.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:15 PM   #8

Thank you, all, for your encouragement. I am feeling a bit better about being able to get this set up. I think it all boils down to me being able to negotiate the receiver's on screen menu and find the signal strength page. I might try a trial run on the receiver that is still operational in the house and see if I can find the required screen.

Getting excited as this is our first trip since a year ago April due to spoiling chickens.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:55 AM   #9

If you are going to eventually do this on a regular basis, I suggest you buy one of the tripods made and sold by www.tv4rv.com. Once you initially set it up, you really don’t need any help with signal meters — you just need to know where on this side of the planet you are so you can obtain the correct azimuth, elevation and tilt (tilt if you are using a SlimLine dish and you want to receive signals from satellites 99 and 103 for HD).

I know I make it sound simple — it’s not at first, but once you understand how to set it up when you move, it is very simple. The people at www.tv4rv.com will spend as much time on the phone with you as you need, and it will all come to you, and you will wonder why it used to be so difficult.

Once I find a hole in the trees using an app, it takes me about 10 minutes to be watching TV without the assistance of anything other than a level and a compass. Without trees to worry about, all I need is to know the correct azimuth, elevation and tilt which can be found online or via a phone call to DirecTV.

The best advice I can give is for you to just call www.tv4rv.com and ask them what you need and how to do it.

Bruce
Old 05-17-2019, 07:25 AM   #10
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floatflyer View Post
Thank you, all, for your encouragement. I am feeling a bit better about being able to get this set up. I think it all boils down to me being able to negotiate the receiver's on screen menu and find the signal strength page. I might try a trial run on the receiver that is still operational in the house and see if I can find the required screen.

Getting excited as this is our first trip since a year ago April due to spoiling chickens.
Not hard at all. Receiver "SET UP" menu is very intuitive. Just follow the steps. Hardest part will be ensuring you have a clear shot at the SE sky (according to your profile location), and getting the correct azimuth. A lensatic compass with degrees is helpful, but you can also use a compass app on your phone. I'm guessing that you have a Slimline3 dish? If so, dial in the 101 sat first, then fine tune for the 99 & 103 sats. Don't worry about the 119 sat as DirecTV has "parked" it. Like Mr. Dan said, use the receiver with tv volume turned up for you signal meter.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:59 AM   #11
clr

Good advise by many here already. If you have never sent up this new arrangement yet, I would first check that your box is providing the 18vdc required for the SWIM to work. Some of the boxes do and some do not. If you have a box that does not provide the power required you will also need a power brick that does provide the 18vdc as well as a direct tv splitter that will pass the DC onto the one port. As stated use the 101 to point the dish first this will ensure the proper azimuth and elevation of the dish. After you have that locked in then use the 103 sat to get the correct tilt for the dish.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:24 AM   #12

I am getting pretty close to success, thank you guys. Back in June of '17 I bought a tripod and dish/lnb from Sateliz, described as Direct TV 3 LNB Slimline Dish SWM3 HD. I am now pretty confident on setting up this equipment as I have done this previously with Bell Express.

I have just tried to find the appropriate DVR screen and was unable to find anything close to what I expected. By clicking on Menu, the options that came up were Search, What's On Now, Recordings, On Demand, Discover, Apps, & Settings- reconnect now

When clicking on Settings, I now find an option of Satellite. This appears to lead me to View Signal Strength. I clicked on this and got pretty much what I was looking for, I think. Therefore, I only have skew to figure out and it seems that setting skew on 90 for initial set up is advised and then as the final adjustment, moving the skew/tilt to maximize signal strength.

I guess I am done with my initial efforts, will be driving to the coast tomorrow morning and will, gulp, attempt my set up in the afternoon. Thanks for holding my hand during this effort and I will report my progress tomorrow.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:46 PM   #13

Promised update. Well, for all my early preparation I get to admit that I am an idiot. Drove 5 hrs to the coast, set up the rig, got out the tripod, dish, and receiver AND, yep, left the darn remote control at home!!! Unbelievable that a mature and competent person could leave something this important AFTER all the effort I put in leading up to this point.

Sorry, please don't think you wasted your advice on a nit with. I took notes and have a check list, NOW.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Promised update. Well, for all my early preparation I get to admit that I am an idiot. Drove 5 hrs to the coast, set up the rig, got out the tripod, dish, and receiver AND, yep, left the darn remote control at home!!! Unbelievable that a mature and competent person could leave something this important AFTER all the effort I put in leading up to this point.

Sorry, please don't think you wasted your advice on a nit with. I took notes and have a check list, NOW.
. Been there done that! I usually don't admit it if I can help it though. Kids already think I'm losing it without any other help.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 12:57 PM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:

Stuff happens but with some receivers, all the screens can be accessed using the buttons on the receiver. It's a bit more intimidating as the buttons are not as user friendly as the remote but can be done.

Obviously, some receivers have no buttons.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 01:57 PM   #16

That Sucks!

That’s too bad. I am always prepared with spare DirecTv remotes. I have at least six of them in my trailer — three in use for my three different receivers and three stashed-away for when I need them.

Bruce