Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #1

Direct TV in the bedroom

Last month we purchased a 2013 silverback 35fl and we would like to place a receiver in the living room and the bedroom so the kids can watch tv in the living room and we can watch tv in the bed room. we had a sundance 2010 32re and it was easy, i just ran a second coax up through the laundry chute. No such luck here. Outside the rv there is a cable and a sat connection. I have been reading a lot of forums and many have said something about turning off the booster and or splitting the signal there.
Could someone please tell me how i may be able to get the 2 receivers connected?

Thanks
Allen
team1roperdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #2

Assuming your DirecTV equipment is SWM technology, attach the Sat cable inside to a DirecTV splitter. One output to the main receiver. The other output to the existing cable (for OTA TV that comes off the back of the antenna booster control) to the bedroom receiver.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-425602840.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	37052
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #3

Barry this diagram is the booster am I correct?
Old 08-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #4

Yes, that is correct.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #5

thanks
Old 08-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #6

One last question if you don't mind......my father has dish with only one receiver and he can watch different channels on each tv i guess wireless connection. does direct tv have that we I don't have to disconnect the booster
Old 08-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #7

Neither Dish or Direct have wireless setups. He either has a "Duo" receiver for two TVs , or the Dish equivalent of the Genie/clients for more than two. Either way, it's wired.
You can use an AB switch to make it easier to change configurations.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:01 AM   #8

Thanks again
Old 08-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Neither Dish or Direct have wireless setups. He either has a "Duo" receiver for two TVs , or the Dish equivalent of the Genie/clients for more than two. Either way, it's wired.
You can use an AB switch to make it easier to change configurations.
It appears that my information was out of date. While Dish does not officially support wireless Joey (client) receivers, apparently it will work. You have to use an adapter to connect them to your "home" wifi network. (In an RV, you would have to put in a router in order to have said network, or have some other means of creating a "hot spot".)

DirecTV has announced that you will be able to do this with Genie & clients soon, but it's not available yet.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #10

On my last FW I installed a plate on the outside of the trailer that had dual inputs with fold up caps. Fortunately where the input was attached to was right at the back of the living room TV. Also that was where the splitter was for the front, middle and rear TV connection. I just ran 1 input to the bedroom cable and the other to the living room TV and the rear room I ran straight to the cable input. If you know where the splitter is maybe you can install an dual input for your sat. And then inside the trailer have 1 sat input going to one TV and the other sat input going to the other TV.
I need to mention you need to have a dual LNB satellite antenna. A single LNB will not work with my experiences.
Hope this was not too confusing.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #11

I have the genie and clients setup in my 2014 using the existing sat and cable wiring. What has been stated is good, but me add what I learned to get it to work.

1- turn booster off
2- split the cable with a splitter outside the trailer, then make the cable and sat connection.
3- Walmart splitter will work if you follow the splitters in and out labels.

Frank
Frankm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #12

Directv genie is the way to go

One wire in, that's it.
The coaxial cable to all TV's act as an Ethernet cable to all TV's
I have it at my residence but not my motorhome. Maybe later

Tags
bed, roo