Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2021, 01:36 PM   #1

Direct TV or streaming

I知 trying to decide on which way to go as far as watching TV while on the road, I知 trying to decide weather to get a portable satellite (not roof mounted) or just using cellular and streaming it for TV. What is everyone using?
RicnVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 01:56 PM   #2

I stream, but it uses lots of data. A movie can be 1-2 or more gig per hour depending on resolution.
Old 09-26-2021, 03:13 PM   #3

I stream, and updated all my rigs TVs so they can stream with the latest built-in apps. I use either free stuff (pluto) or Amazon that we get free with Amazom prime, so I'm not paying for streaming. Also OTA where available, again free.

I do feel direct TV will have better/fresher content though, but you'll pay for that.

And of course if you're at a crowded campground with crappy wifi, you might just have to use your phone as the Hotspot. I've been pretty lucky during the pandemic not being at crowded parks and able to use the wifi ok.
Old 09-26-2021, 03:19 PM   #4

Most parks that I've seen say "no streaming " on their WiFi.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 03:35 PM   #5
Cousins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Most parks that I've seen say "no streaming " on their WiFi.
That痴 the only reason I would use the WiFi
Old 09-26-2021, 05:24 PM   #6

I do both. We have a DishTV Wally where the dish is not permanently mounted to the roof but I often put it up there. Since we have DishTv at home it’s only about $5.00 per month to add in the Wally. Alternatively we use a Roku player when we get a WiFi signal.
Old 09-27-2021, 01:39 PM   #7
rfifer

For many years, I did a lot of business travel and got tired of paying the hotel wifi fees. I also had trouble getting conventon center wifi connections if the meeting was not paying for wifi. So I have been using a cell phone modem for my laptop. Now that a good portion of my travel is with the trailer, I use the modem to go out on the web and stream to the laptop. I then connect my laptop to my trailer TV with an HDMI cable so we can enjoy the TV and the trailer's sound system. Obviously it requires the availbility of cell service which can be a problem in remote locations. But, in general, I have been very happy with that arrangement.

For the locations where there is no cell service, I have a DVD player connected to the TV and the trailer's sound system. I like the streaming option better, but this way I also get to watch some of my favorite DVDs.
TV F-150
rfifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 01:46 PM   #8

I have Verizon unlimited data on my iPhone and connect it directly to my TV via HDMI cable. Works great as long as there is cell signal, and is essentially free once you've bought the iPhone HDMI adapter and cable.
We pretty much restrict using it to rainy days when we're stuck inside. Nothing we watch is of sufficient necessity to interrupt being outside doing camping stuff.
Old 09-27-2021, 02:34 PM   #9

We have Directv at home so we can watch Directv on our phone without using any data. I have a android phone that I use smart view to cast the phone screen to the 32" Samsung TV. Or I can use my 10" tablet tethered to my phone.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 02:45 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
We have Directv at home so we can watch Directv on our phone without using any data. I have a android phone that I use smart view to cast the phone screen to the 32" Samsung TV. Or I can use my 10" tablet tethered to my phone.
Dish has the same thing with their Dish Anywhere app.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:04 PM   #11

IMO, MOST RV parks don't have bad wifi. It's the large number of campers that are streaming, thus it makes the RV parks wifi bad for everyone at the park. Streaming at a RV park should be frowned upon like walking thru someone's campsite, barking dogs, being loud late at night ect. There is no way for a park to police streaming when using the parks wifi. Most folks will use the parks wifi before they will use their cell service.
1993 Kawasaki KLR 650
1998 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV
2004 f150 & 2008 f350 dually V-10
hiinthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:14 PM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiinthesky View Post
IMO, MOST RV parks don't have bad wifi. It's the large number of campers that are streaming, thus it makes the RV parks wifi bad for everyone at the park. Streaming at a RV park should be frowned upon like walking thru someone's campsite, barking dogs, being loud late at night ect. There is no way for a park to police streaming when using the parks wifi. Most folks will use the parks wifi before they will use their cell service.
Not true, but like anything, costs some money and someone that knows how to manage it.

Unless the campground gives you the option to pay for faster service or acknowledges they have the infrastructure in place to allow video streaming to where it won't compromise the speeds of everyone else, please don't be "that" person.

To answer the OP's question, we used DirecTV with a stand alone dish for a lot of years. Now that unlimited data has become available (without throttling) I carry two hotspots with two different carriers (Verizon & T-Mobile) for the same money we were paying for our DirecTV service. We stream most everything and DO NOT use the campground WiFi.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=98
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:17 PM   #13

I built a video player out of a raspberry pi 4, argon case with m2 slot, 1TB m2 drive and kodi. I copy all the movies and tv shows I would like to see while I am gone to the m2 drive, hook it up to the tv and bam all my media is there to watch. No wifi, no hotspot, no satellite required. This season we used it a number of times because during the 6 trips so far it has rained at least 1 day of each trip.
merchjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:39 PM   #14

A lot of these responders go primarily for the camping experience, and in their case the streaming with all its drawbacks may be fine. We use ours as a movable vacation home, and like having the benefits of a real TV provider - things like full-fledged DVR capability, a comprehensive program guide, and so on. We've stuck with Dish because of their RV friendliness (we had Direct for many years), and transport our home units and a portable antenna with us.

You pays your money and takes your choice.
Old 09-27-2021, 04:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiinthesky View Post

You bet there is and more parks are doing it! relatively easy and simple to implement by blocking the URLs for the streaming sites (and proxy sites as ell) and leaving the rest alone. Done all over the place and it is quite simple.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:45 PM   #16

Charging for Wi-Fi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfifer View Post
For many years, I did a lot of business travel and got tired of paying the hotel wifi fees. I also had trouble getting conventon center wifi connections if the meeting was not paying for wifi. So I have been using a cell phone modem for my laptop. Now that a good portion of my travel is with the trailer, I use the modem to go out on the web and stream to the laptop. I then connect my laptop to my trailer TV with an HDMI cable so we can enjoy the TV and the trailer's sound system. Obviously it requires the availbility of cell service which can be a problem in remote locations. But, in general, I have been very happy with that arrangement.

For the locations where there is no cell service, I have a DVD player connected to the TV and the trailer's sound system. I like the streaming option better, but this way I also get to watch some of my favorite DVDs.
Hotels stopped charging for Wi-Fi decades ago.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
Before we leave for our 6 month Snowbird Trek, we put the Direct TV on "seasonal hold". So I'm assuming I would not be able to do what you suggest?
nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikita View Post
Before we leave for our 6 month Snowbird Trek, we put the Direct TV on "seasonal hold". So I'm assuming I would not be able to do what you suggest?
You are correct. Internet streaming of most TV channels requires authentication through your "cable supplier" of which DirecTV is one. This is because you have a "license" to view that content because you pay for it elsewhere.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 04:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by merchjo View Post
I built a video player out of a raspberry pi 4, argon case with m2 slot, 1TB m2 drive and kodi. I copy all the movies and tv shows I would like to see while I am gone to the m2 drive, hook it up to the tv and bam all my media is there to watch.

I did something similar, bought an inexpensive wifi device, TP-Link AC750 Wireless Portable Nano Travel Router for under 40 bucks, loaded 2 8TB drives with the movie collection and more, and mounted in an old Directv receiver case. The AC750 serves up both drives and broadcasts to any wifi device, which can view with free VLC app. It runs off trailer's 12v or I can use the old DTV brick and play it on shore power.
Old 09-29-2021, 06:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
You bet there is and more parks are doing it! relatively easy and simple to implement by blocking the URLs for the streaming sites (and proxy sites as ell) and leaving the rest alone. Done all over the place and it is quite simple.
You are correct, and not only can the parks block the URLs if they want to, they can also limit the amount of data and data type per each campers MAC address, i.e. throttle each user down to speeds that will not support streaming. This all can be done on the standard equipment they have in place to provide Wi-Fi.

The best options are either a disk unit of some type or cellular, I actually utilize both depending on location, I have Dish which is an extension of my home account, and I have unlimited cellular for streaming when either Dish has no coverage (trees, hills, etc) and Dish for when there is weak or no cellular coverage.
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote