Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2020, 01:20 PM   #1

DirecTV...Will this work

Hi all,
When we move out of the house and into the camper, I want to take my DirecTV with me if possible. But I don't know if this will work or not, because I don't know how all the components interact with one another and the internet.

I called DirecTV, but of course the person I talked to didn't seem to understand me very well, and only gave me the number to Winegard.

All I want to know at this point is whether or not I can make this work in the camper for the 1-2 months we'll be in it.

Here's my equipment that I know of:

Sat Dish
Swim ODU
HR44-700 DVR
C51-700 companion receiver(s)
Small ethernet connection box

What I WANT to do is take down the dish and rig it up to work at the campsite, making a stand of sorts out of PVC or something, or buying a tripod. Then connect to the camper with the DVR in the LR and the companion in the bedroom. Campground has wireless, but not wired internet.

Will this work, or do I have to have internet for it to work at all? I assume you can do it, but you just won't have on-demand content.

I am not interested in buying a camper style dish to make it work for this short amount of time.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:01 PM   #2
Triglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchLiebeBier View Post
Hi all,
When we move out of the house and into the camper, I want to take my DirecTV with me if possible. But I don't know if this will work or not, because I don't know how all the components interact with one another and the internet.

I called DirecTV, but of course the person I talked to didn't seem to understand me very well, and only gave me the number to Winegard.

All I want to know at this point is whether or not I can make this work in the camper for the 1-2 months we'll be in it.

Here's my equipment that I know of:

Sat Dish
Swim ODU
HR44-700 DVR
C51-700 companion receiver(s)
Small ethernet connection box

What I WANT to do is take down the dish and rig it up to work at the campsite, making a stand of sorts out of PVC or something, or buying a tripod. Then connect to the camper with the DVR in the LR and the companion in the bedroom. Campground has wireless, but not wired internet.

Will this work, or do I have to have internet for it to work at all? I assume you can do it, but you just won't have on-demand content.

I am not interested in buying a camper style dish to make it work for this short amount of time.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks.
My sister has Direct Tv system at home and they got a second set top box and dish and they take it with them everywhere they travel and set it up on site and have Direct Tv in their motor home as long as they stay.. They just call direct tv and explain where they are using it and have never had a problem using the system in their RV

2013 Georgetown 335 DS
TriGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 02:58 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Several questions first...
Your receiver is a Genie (the master) and the other receivers in your house are slaves. The slaves do not store DVR content but simply access the recorded content from the master. (is any of thet politically correct these days?!?! - LOL)

1. Do you plan to use just the master receiver or do you want to connect other receiver(s) in other parts of the R/V?

2. Are your slave receivers wired or wireless.? (there are both kinds)

3. Do you plan to camp within 200 miles of your home address?
If so, your local channels will likely work fine. If you plan to camp farther away from your home address you will not get locals (they are spot-beamed) and you will need to change your SERVICE address. (NOT your BILLING address)

I have the same master receiver as you and take it with when we go places I know there will be no cable or antenna reception. I have a stand alone dish (that came off my in-laws house) and typically set it next to the R/V and can be watching tv within minutes. I made a PVC stand like you were mentioning that simply sits on the ground.

You will only need internet if you plan to do on-demand streaming through the receiver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sat_dish_02.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	551.4 KB
ID:	242171  

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Several questions first...
Your receiver is a Genie (the master) and the other receivers in your house are slaves. The slaves do not store DVR content but simply access the recorded content from the master. (is any of thet politically correct these days?!?! - LOL)

1. Do you plan to use just the master receiver or do you want to connect other receiver(s) in other parts of the R/V?

2. Are your slave receivers wired or wireless.? (there are both kinds)

3. Do you plan to camp within 200 miles of your home address?
If so, your local channels will likely work fine. If you plan to camp farther away from your home address you will not get locals (they are spot-beamed) and you will need to change your SERVICE address. (NOT your BILLING address)

I have the same master receiver as you and take it with when we go places I know there will be no cable or antenna reception. I have a stand alone dish (that came off my in-laws house) and typically set it next to the R/V and can be watching tv within minutes. I made a PVC stand like you were mentioning that simply sits on the ground.

You will only need internet if you plan to do on-demand streaming through the receiver.
Good info. Thanks.

Here are my answers:
1. Both. Plan to use master in LR and slave in BR. I made that even more politically incorrect

I assume I'd connect 1 LNB each to the two satellite inputs on the camper.

2. Dunno. It's connected to a coax cable, but I don't know if there are wireless functions to it as well.

3. Yes. But I have to change the address anyway, since I'm selling the house.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Good info. Thanks.

Here are my answers:

1. Both. Plan to use master in LR and slave in BR. I made that even more politically incorrect

2. Dunno. It's connected to a coax cable, but I don't know if there are wireless functions to it as well.

I have a Standard dish receiver for my camper. High definition LNB can be more difficult and frustrating. I also have a two line , only use one line, LND and an oval dish using a tripod stand. While SD is not high definition, it works. Because we can go weeks w/o using the receiver, I use the A&T app to refresh my receiver. Never a problem. I’ve gotten pretty good at locating the satellite using the SatFinder lite app. Good luck.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:34 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Good info. Thanks.

Here are my answers:

If your slave receivers are connected via coax that will make it tougher because they connect to the master via a special splitter (that also passes power) and you'll need to incorporate that into your R/V.

The LNB/receiver connection process also has several configurations depending on version. Some utilize up to four connections on the LNB to the receivers, some only one. Even older models used two coax's and the receiver had two tuners in them for recording. Most of the newer Genies are not this way.

Unfortunately, you'll need to figure out what version you have and go from there. Hooking up just the master is a piece of cake. One coax from the dish to the receiver (home run/no splitters) and you're set. WIFI slaves are also easier.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:48 PM   #7

that's the info I was looking for.

What does that special splitter look like? Inside or outside?

I'm good at this type of stuff, so as long as it's possible, I can figure it out. Just need to know what to take with me.

Thanks.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:51 PM   #8

This I assume. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1188.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	312.2 KB
ID:	242178
Old 11-22-2020, 02:35 PM   #9

All,
Getting ready to pack up the household goods and move to the camper. I'm torn about bothering with the DirecTV. They won't come get the dish down for me and I don't have a ladder high enough to get up there (townhome). So I'm considering ordering a cheap dish on a tripod.

I'm not sure how much of the equipment I'd need to take with me to the camper. Can someone please take a look at my attached drawing and tell me what I would need to have at the camper?

I would take my Genie and my C51-700 for the bedroom. The camper has 2 satellite coax inputs on the outside.

I will not have internet connectivity for the DTV.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	directv hookup.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	243473