Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2015, 07:18 PM   #1

Dish network signal split question. Driving myself crazy

Thanks in advance for any assistance. I have decided to put a dish network box in my RV that is parked right outside of my house to have a place for the kids to occasionally go in like a play house and have tv to watch. My issue is with getting the receiver to work. I'm doing everything correctly, but when I run the coax from the existing splitter on the house into the input on the outside of the camper and hook it from there into the receiver I get 0 signal, and no picture. When I tried running it directly to the receiver and not using the outside input it worked and I got a 72 signal strength. I can't use it that way, though, because I don't want to drill a hole into the floor or anything to run the cable directly to the receiver. Is there a fix to this? I'm thinking that once you run a cable to the outside input there is probably a splitter somewhere after that connection that brings the signal to the two outputs that are in the camper. There's one in the living room and one in the bedroom. If that's true, is that splitter my issue? I'm not sure if you can split a satellite signal with a normal splitter, or if a satellite specific one is required.
jch2122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:43 PM   #2

J, I don't know what model receiver you have and what you mean about 'splitter in the house'.

However, if you run the feed directly to the camper receiver and it worked, the house isn't the issue.

The problem is a probably a splitter in the camper, designed for campground CATV inputs which can feed mulitiple TVs in the camper.

There is an antenna booster somewhere in your camper; it provides power to the antenna amp and switches the output from antenna to CATV (from the outside connection)... if "on" the green light lights and you are on antenna, "off" and you are on CATV. This won't work for satellite feeds.

Some campers have a CATV feed and a satellite feed, I assume your's does not.

You will need to remove the booster outlet off the wall or ceiling and remove the cable that runs in from the outside connection and connect that COAX directly to the receiver. See the picture. I did this and used a barrel connector and drilled the plate and made it permanent. That way you can screw the outlet back down.

There is +12vdc and ground on the booster, so be careful to not blow a fuse.

The manual (link) might not be for your antenna, but the booster is the same. (or should be)
http://www.winegard.com/kbase/uploads/2452013.pdf

WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 11:18 AM   #3

The Mhz range might be off, but it should work. Catv wouldnt work in my trailer untill i turned off the booster
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 11:24 AM   #4

your splitter needs to be a "power pass" splitter
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 11:37 AM   #5

A simple thing to check especially if you are using a different cable in each case. Make sure that the center wire at each end is not broken or bent over.
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 11:38 AM   #6
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Avalible at HD and Lowes
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 11:54 AM   #7
Mod free 5er

Glad I had the Dish tech come and set mine up 3 yrs ago, when he finished, I can hook the Tailgater up to either the factory sat/cable connection or to the two cables I added, one cable on the pin box and one back at the ladder for the Tailgater ladder mount. Just pull out whichever cable is needed. Bought just common splitter on eBay and hooked the 3 inputs to the one going into the box. The empty one is for using the tripod if I can't get a clear view to the south with either the pin box or the ladder mounts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01737.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	92734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Satelite Cable spool.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	432.2 KB
ID:	92735  
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 12:26 PM   #8

I had a similar issue with my trailer. I removed the wall plate that had a12 volt connector and a antenna connection and replaced it with plate that had the anntena and cable connectors on it. I split the in feed from the outside and then connected separate feeds to each connector on the plate. The signal will not pass through the amplifier off or on. It must be an unobstructed path to the receiver. This solved my problem. The only downside is to switch to anntena I have to change one coax wire.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 02:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch2122 View Post
Thanks in advance for any assistance. I have decided to put a dish network box in my RV that is parked right outside of my house to have a place for the kids to occasionally go in like a play house and have tv to watch. My issue is with getting the receiver to work. I'm doing everything correctly, but when I run the coax from the existing splitter on the house into the input on the outside of the camper and hook it from there into the receiver I get 0 signal, and no picture. When I tried running it directly to the receiver and not using the outside input it worked and I got a 72 signal strength. I can't use it that way, though, because I don't want to drill a hole into the floor or anything to run the cable directly to the receiver. Is there a fix to this? I'm thinking that once you run a cable to the outside input there is probably a splitter somewhere after that connection that brings the signal to the two outputs that are in the camper. There's one in the living room and one in the bedroom. If that's true, is that splitter my issue? I'm not sure if you can split a satellite signal with a normal splitter, or if a satellite specific one is required.
No, did you turn off the outside ant. amplifier switch which would be at one of the recepticles in the trl. I have dish and that is the way i have had to do it on all 3 of my trls. I use a 722k with a500 gig hard drive in it in the bedroom and it feeds the living room if the amplifier sw. is on none will work just snow. same with the BH tv 211k rec.
Dick,
dicky1243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:15 PM   #10

Splitting Dish feed csble

You can not have a splitter in the cable between the receiver and dish multiswitch. The technology uses voltage to power and make selections in the lnb (dish head) unit..
Jackfacente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:18 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackfacente View Post
You can not have a splitter in the cable between the receiver and dish multiswitch. The technology uses voltage to power and make selections in the lnb (dish head) unit..
Well sir I might not have a splitter, but it is a 4 way coax connector and it works just fine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01737.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	92761  
Old 10-24-2015, 09:33 PM   #12

Well sir what you have is a multiswitch. It is a dish product designed to work as your dish installer installed it. The rf off air splitters inside the rv operate up to the 900 mhz range. Dish Satellite feeds operate in the 2.7 gig range. They look like a big splitte and cone on 2, 4, and 8 way configurations. Call your Dish tech line, they will explain it to you easier than I can on this thread.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:38 AM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackfacente View Post
Well sir what you have is a multiswitch. It is a dish product designed to work as your dish installer installed it. The rf off air splitters inside the rv operate up to the 900 mhz range. Dish Satellite feeds operate in the 2.7 gig range. They look like a big splitte and cone on 2, 4, and 8 way configurations. Call your Dish tech line, they will explain it to you easier than I can on this thread.
You are wrong sir, the Dish tech merely re-arranged the coax cables from the factory. He added nothing, I watched him the entire time. I had the standard box plugged in and the Dish antenna (which is permanently mounted on a concrete anchored pole installed in 2008 for our old 2008 Flagstaff which he also rewired)hooked to the trailer. Didn't even have a Tailgater at the time. I got the Tailgater late last year just exchanged the old box for the one that came with the Tailgater and I added the 4 coax connector and the coax cable to the rear and to the pinbox with the option of hooking a coax to the tripod if needed this spring.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:41 AM   #14
Retired Army MSG!

X2 some of the manufacturers wire the sat cable into the booster. The booster amp will not allow the signal tonpass through. I installed a separate connector to the same.plate the booster is on and screwed the sat cable straight into.the new connector. I have directv but same principal applies. I keep my sat connected at home all the time. the 5vr is my man cave a lot of Sunday afternoons.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:54 AM   #15

My last two campers had a jumper coax. When I wanted to use the outside connection with cable or some other input I had to move the coax from one spot to another. Mine looked a little like the plate on the left.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:58 AM   #16

i had a piece of the out side wire wraped around the inside wire after i got that fixed it worked right
peterbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeItEasy View Post
My last two campers had a jumper coax. When I wanted to use the outside connection with cable or some other input I had to move the coax from one spot to another. Mine looked a little like the plate on the left.
I did something like this TIE, except I added the second coax connector on the same outlet. I removed the cable that comes in from the outside off of the booster and connected to the new connector on the plate that I had modified.

In the meantime I moved my receiver and need the kind of splitter OC has so I can fed either sat to the rcvr or catv to the booster outlet... without having to unscrew and screw coaxial cables each time.

I can't find my photo.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:59 AM   #18

I stand by my advice, call Dish Tech Support 1 800 454 0843 and explain your situation, thru will tell you what's going on and how to remedy it. Then share your solution. I think we are getting hung up on semantics of the splitter between the sat dish and the sat receiver box.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:30 AM   #19

See the attached schematics of how to utilize the existing
outside cable connection to bring into the RV both
CATV and a Satellite signal. I provided two schematics
showing the connections.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Diplexer.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	92793  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Diplexer.pdf (138.7 KB, 47 views)
mbtelguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:59 AM   #20

Just a quick note Winegard has diplexers check their site and if
you what a detail explanation of the diplexers see wikipedia.

Gary
mbtelguy is offline   Reply With Quote