Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2017, 06:14 AM   #1

Dish Network vs Direct TV

We currently have had Direct TV for many years. We take our Standard definition DVR along in our RV. We're using the King Quest auto portable dish. Looking at changing to Dish Network because we can use King universal controller on Dish with the present Quest dish. The thing that caught my eye is Dish offers SD / HD using the present dish where Direct TV is on SD unless you go to the roof mounted dish.

Present dish users? Thoughts? Do you use the "Hopper"? What receivers do you use?

If we stick with Direct TV, we'll use their SWM option so to be able to use 2-3 Receivers.
You feed back is welcome!
karpcbk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:07 AM   #2

Hi, I have been a Dish customer for over 20 years at our present location. The last 10 years we have been camping, we have been using the Dish systems.

I use a portable Dish Tailgater and a Dish 300 Receiver which excepts SD and HD signals for use with one TV. This has been more than adequate for our needs. The receiver at the time we purchase it was $100 and cost about $7. a month from Dish for usage. There are no other fees involved unless we rent a movie from them when we are traveling with the trailer. This system receives the same channels that we have at home except for local channels when we are on the road. If I am close to our home say within 100 to 150 miles I can receive our local channels also.

The only problem is once in awhile with a very heavy rain fall you will loose the satellite signal.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:13 AM   #3

I use a Dish VIP211 receiver taken from home with the Tailgater for my RV, it receives everything that I receive here at home, if I leave the state by any distance I lose my local channels but nothing else. there is no extra charges for this setup. I hope this helps
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:16 AM   #4
Who Dares, Wins

We had dish for the last few years and used a Tailgator in the trailer a few times. We were happy with the service but eventually got unhappy with paying the prices for them (not any different for Verizon, Comcast, Dish or Direct so not a know there).

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:22 AM   #5

In the past year, I have had both direct TV and DISH. Moved to direct TV because they could offer a package that included the internet. I prefer the DISH user experience more than direct. The menu on direct is a bit more clunky. Both services work fine and about the same quality.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:31 AM   #6

With Dish you can pause your service for a little less then $6 per month. That is what we do. We went with Dish because of the HD that you can't get on DirecTV without spending about $1,600 if you install and over $2,000 if they install. We use the 211 receiver and Tailgater. When I got it about four years ago from a Dish dealer in Jacksonville, FL, it was $199 for the Tailgater, 211 receiver and coaxial. It was shipped two day service and no sales tax because I am in Texas. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:32 PM   #7

Dish has better RV support. Even has a separate RV tech dept. Can change your local channel address to where you are to receive the areas local channels. Can get HD from a portables​ sat dish.

The only plus I can think of for Direct is that they have a better sports package.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:38 PM   #8

Have had both, I like Direct way better. YMMV.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:43 PM   #9

Directtv app

We have just camped for a month and watched Directtv anywhere by using the Directtv App on an Ipad or Iphone. You may have to have ATT Phone service but there is no Data usage for watching all of the TV programming and you can access your home DVR just as though you were at home. By running an HDMI cable and Iphone adapter from the IPAD/Iphone to the TV you can watch HD TV at no charge anywhere. No antenna or dish is necessary. Be sure to register your Iphones and Ipads with your DVR while you are at home by going to App settings and DVR or you will not get all of the programming.
Fiddler Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:54 PM   #10

Did you have to get a different dish for the internet and how much did it cost.
Thanks
Benny Chaney
Benny1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:09 PM   #11

Directv

Just check out directv.com
DIRECTV anytime, anywhere.
Download the free DIRECTV App and start streaming your favorite live and downloaded pre-recorded shows on your mobile device with your DIRECTV subscription, and no additional equipment needed.
The only extra item is a HDMI cable and Iphone/Ipad adapter available at Walmart, about$30
Fiddler Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:29 PM   #12

We have Dish for our home and while camping. Our camper is always being used in some way or another VIP211 works like a champ. On the road we use a Tailgater and only had a problem in New Mexico and at the bottom Red Rocks Canyon in OK.
Reb Kitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:39 PM   #13
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler Dan View Post
Just check out directv.com
DIRECTV anytime, anywhere.
Download the free DIRECTV App and start streaming your favorite live and downloaded pre-recorded shows on your mobile device with your DIRECTV subscription, and no additional equipment needed.
The only extra item is a HDMI cable and Iphone/Ipad adapter available at Walmart, about$30
We had the same thing with Dish, Dish Anywhere it might have been called. This seems to be pretty standard now that we are in the digital handheld age.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:33 PM   #14

Like the DISH flexibility

When we had our motorhome with roof-mounted satellite, we just took our receiver from home (DirectTV). Our contract will run out this year and we frankly have not been that happy with DTV and will likely not renew so did not want to purchase a satellite for DTV (particularly since they don't have RV Flex plan as Dish does).

When we traded for our fifth wheel, we got a portable Tailgater and the DISH RV Flex Plan which we can order on a month-by-month basis since we don't camp full time. We are very happy with it. We added local channels to the basic plan, and we can add/remove the appropriate programming as-needed via Internet or phone call (i.e. we get Fox for NASCAR races only during that season).

Customer service has been fine. Since our DirectTV is still connected at home (our son and d-I-l live in an apartment downstairs) we can still view SOME shows/movies on our computer should weather/interference prevent our using satellite (as long as we have Internet, of course).

We thought about purchasing the satellite that allows both DirectTV and DISH but price was too expensive.
bwodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:05 PM   #15

We were Dish customers for years and Direct sent us one of there mailers offering cash and "a better deal", we took the bate and it was a big mistake. As soon as our 1 year contract was up we went back to dish. Have the Tailgater and 211 receiver in the 5th wheel and it works just fine but this winter when we head south we will take our hopper and a tripod dish so we will have full use of the DVR. We just pay the extra $7.00 a month to have the TV available at home or on the road. It is very simple to call and have the locals for whatever area we are in transfered to the setup with out changing the billing address.
Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 gas
Sailor Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:18 PM   #16
jkoenig24

My 2015 Dynamax DX3-37RB had an In-Motion satellite dish as OEM. The dealer's (Terrytown RV, Grand Rapids, MI) PDI guy recommended Dish so, I signed up. It seems that Dish sales reps have a different price sheet than Dish billing. Dish billing took me over the coals by jacking up the rates WELL over what I had agreed to. I dropped them three months into their service. The In-Motion satellite can NOT do Direct TV HiDef. I'd need a second satellite dish. I decided I could live with OTA signals and, whatever cable an RV park might provide.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:20 PM   #17
Mod free 5er

Been a Dish customer for 15 yrs. Use the Tailgater and have no complaints. Here is how I use the Tailgater with my homemade mounts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01221.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	139782   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01226.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	139783  
Old 06-01-2017, 07:34 PM   #18
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I use the Wineguard Pathway X2 with a Wally in the living room and a 211z in the bedroom. My Dish rep says that the wally box now uses the same software as the hopper. This get me thinking that the wireless joeys might be an option for several TV locations
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpcbk15 View Post
We currently have had Direct TV for many years. We take our Standard definition DVR along in our RV. We're using the King Quest auto portable dish. Looking at changing to Dish Network because we can use King universal controller on Dish with the present Quest dish. The thing that caught my eye is Dish offers SD / HD using the present dish where Direct TV is on SD unless you go to the roof mounted dish.

Present dish users? Thoughts? Do you use the "Hopper"? What receivers do you use?

If we stick with Direct TV, we'll use their SWM option so to be able to use 2-3 Receivers.
You feed back is welcome!
I re-read your initial post.

actually.......no. You CAN get HD content with Direct without going to the Travl'r roof mount. I do. You just have to learn how to point a portable dish. I figured it out, takes about 2 minutes now. I didn't care for DISH customer service, but many love 'em.

I would not switch just to get one or the other. Get what you have at home, cheapest way to go. Travl'r is only automatic HD Direct dish, but it has limitations too (trees, etc.).

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:57 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I re-read your initial post.

actually.......no. You CAN get HD content with Direct without going to the Travl'r roof mount. I do. You just have to learn how to point a portable dish. I figured it out, takes about 2 minutes now. I didn't care for DISH customer service, but many love 'em.

I would not switch just to get one or the other. Get what you have at home, cheapest way to go. Travl'r is only automatic HD Direct dish, but it has limitations too (trees, etc.).
Yes.... I take my main DIRECTV receiver and a mini-Genie receiver from my house when I travel. I set up my traveling portable oval antenna, set it wherever I need, and have HD service on two TVs PDQ. I don't pay any extra for the traveling service since it's my house system just away from my house.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote