Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2016, 11:58 AM   #1

Dish Pathway X-1 Connection

I recently purchased a Dish Pathway X-1 to use in our 2016 Apex. When I connect the satellite to the outside cable/sat feed, I get no connection to the Dish 211K receiver. When I connect the sat directly to the reciever, it works flawlessly. I have had the internal feed from outside to the internal box checked by our rv dealer and they say it works fine.

I have heard that there is some issue with the Pathway not working with the internal cable feed. Anyone have this issue and found a solution?
ChuckAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:15 PM   #2

It's not the Pathway. It's the wiring between the outside sat/cab connection and the inside where the receiver is connected. In my 2014 Grey Wolf I never could find the 'home run' wire and just got a piece of flat coax and ran it through a window. Receiver to Dish MUST be a home run.

P.S. first, make sure the little green light is out on the inside connection. Turn OFF the OTA antenna in other words.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:43 PM   #3

I did make sure the booster was off. I have been told that you can lose signal by too many connections between sat and receiver. I wonder if this is what is keeping me from getting a "home run".
Old 12-09-2016, 12:52 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckAnderson View Post
I did make sure the booster was off. I have been told that you can lose signal by too many connections between sat and receiver. I wonder if this is what is keeping me from getting a "home run".
Too many connections between sat & receiver is NOT a home run.

A home run is a single piece of coax from point A to point B with nothing in between.

I have two connections on the side of my rig.
Cable AND satellite.

The cable run has splitters and feeds other areas of the 5th wheel besides the main TV area. Normal coax splitters will not pass the power through them (from the receiver) that is necessary to power the electronics on a sat dish.

My satellite connection goes straight from the outside connection to the main TV area.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:57 PM   #5

You need a splitter that will pass the dc voltage from the receiver to the dish as that is how the dish is powered. There are a lot of them for less than $10.00. Normal splitters will block the DC component and your dish will fail to function.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:06 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
You need a splitter that will pass the dc voltage from the receiver to the dish as that is how the dish is powered. There are a lot of them for less than $10.00. Normal splitters will block the DC component and your dish will fail to function.
Unfortunately, many of the factory installed splitters are buried within the walls or sub flooring making them impossible to change out.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:25 PM   #7

The DC splitter may be the solution. Since Coachmen chose to run the cable and sat through the same coax feed I am pretty sure it is a continuous feed to the junction of the antennae feed by the TV. I am anxious to try this as it would be a fairly simple fix and little cost.

Thanks all for the information. Greatly appreciated.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:10 PM   #8

X-1 connection

I found that the factory had mislabeled the connections on our Crusader Lite 5th wheel. When I tried our Pathway X2 on the outside connection marked Satellite, I got absolutely nothing. However when I tried it on the connection marked Cable, the X2 worked fine. I just relabeled the connections.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:13 PM   #9

You could check out the DC characteristics of your feed with a simple OHM meter and by shorting the SAT feed outside your trailer. If there is not continuity you will get infinite OHM reading across the center conductor and the shield. OR hook a 9 volt battery outside from shield to center conductor and try to check for the same 9 volts inside.
commishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:20 PM   #10
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
I used a 50' coax to do the same thing....screwed one end on to outside feed and brought other end inside, then used meter for continuity.....from my cable to where your factory one terminates inside....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:48 PM   #11

Yep...you got the idea!!
Old 12-09-2016, 06:25 PM   #12

Perhaps one of the options on the attached will work. There was a thread that I followed the instructions in to get mine to work. If I can find it, I will post.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Satellite TV Wiring Diagram.pdf (66.1 KB, 69 views)
Old 12-10-2016, 01:48 PM   #13

If you check the diagrams, the bottom line is that there has to be an uninterrupted length of coax between the satellite receiver and the satellite antenna. Like it was mentioned, the satellite antenna has to have DC voltage to it (supplied by the receiver through this uninterrupted coax) to operate.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckAnderson View Post
I recently purchased a Dish Pathway X-1 to use in our 2016 Apex. When I connect the satellite to the outside cable/sat feed, I get no connection to the Dish 211K receiver. When I connect the sat directly to the reciever, it works flawlessly. I have had the internal feed from outside to the internal box checked by our rv dealer and they say it works fine.

I have heard that there is some issue with the Pathway not working with the internal cable feed. Anyone have this issue and found a solution?
I like many others have experienced that same problem. I found the easiest way to resolve my problem was to drill a hole allowing access directly behind the Dish receiver (in a inside cabinet). From there I ran a HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV (which drops down into a cabinet behind the electric fireplace). I then installed a plug for the coax from the antenna (male end on inside and outside). Used a short coax to connect to the back of the receiver on the inside. Naturally the receiver is located with a 110 plug in nearby.

Outside I created a weather protected 12 volt supply outside to provide power to the antenna. I secured the video signal cable and the power cable together just to avoid a tangled mess. Now when I set up I use an app on my phone to locate a clear line of sight to the signal source satellites in the southern sky. That's where I place the Antenna and lay the cable out back to the trailer. Plug in the Coax I a weather covered plug) and the power supply cable and turn on the receiver in the trailer. Usually I can be watching my favorite Football game in 1080p HD within 10 minutes.

If I'm in a real hurry I'll hook up the sat cables and leave it to hunt and lock on signal while I finish the setup and we're ready to pop a cold one and enjoy the game.

It's far easier than it sounds and much less frustrating trying to use the factory run cables.

Good Luck.

Tom Stillman
Vancouver, WA
2012 Forest River Wildcat Sterling Edition
2010 Ford F350 Super cab (With all the junk taken off) With H&S tuner and set of bags on the back.
tstillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by commishh View Post
If you check the diagrams, the bottom line is that there has to be an uninterrupted length of coax between the satellite receiver and the satellite antenna. Like it was mentioned, the satellite antenna has to have DC voltage to it (supplied by the receiver through this uninterrupted coax) to operate.
The bottom diagram did work perfectly for the living room TV, the other TV's the picture quality is crappy, but it works anyhow. I used a HDMI cable from the receiver to the main TV, and the "out" coax connection to the others, through the splitters, which degraded the signal. The older receiver, Dish 211k has the "out" coax, and HDMI, the newer ones do not, they only had HDMI. I had to keep the old receiver when I upgraded to the X1 from my old tailgater.