Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2023, 10:26 PM   #1

DISH Playmaker Satellite

Recently acquired a Mobile TV satellite system. It works great.
I'm trying to get another cable to run the mobile antenna further away form the MH in order to get to clear skies.

Question 1: I have 50 ft of cable, I would like to add another 50' to get from under trees. This happened this last weekend. Could not get a clear shot of the southern skies. Need a little bit further to clear the trees. Is the recommendation of 50' good or will I degrade the system too much by going out to 100'. Is two 50' cables OK or should I get one 100'.

I have been told by the person I bought the system from that it takes a special cable. An RG6 will not support the power need to run the antenna's power requirements. News to me! Is it a f there is a requirement to get satisfactory receives travel
Flight Instructor Falcon 900XL
2015 Georgetown XL 360 DS
towing 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Falcon900Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 10:52 PM   #2

Mobile Satellite

Would I need a special cable to run to my satellite Dish.
I was have been told that it take a special cable for Mobile Satellites Dish operation.
I have hunted the internet top to bottom and have not found this to be true.
Been told that it takes a special cable to have some current run through the systems and equipment. I have a 5K Gen Set but it does not put as dent into how the break happened!

Does the mobile DISH need a special cable or just put some new looking.
Old 03-31-2023, 11:04 PM   #3

I have used 200' of RG6 cable with my King Tailgater Pro and Wally. I regularly use 100'. I did the same with my previous VQ2500 dish and VIP211 receiver.
In my opinion, the Dish Playmaker is probably the worst dish they make. Everyone I know that had one, got rid of it and upgraded. I have no idea how much cable you can use with the Playmaker. Let us know!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 11:12 PM   #4

Answered your other thread on the same subject.
RG6 works fine. If you go through a splitter, it has to be a power pass through splitter. Best option is to not got through any splitters.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 07:29 AM   #5
Site Team

Duplicate threads merged

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 07:42 AM   #6

I use the Playmaker and Wally combo and have no issues even when using 100' of coax (RG6) duh. I use a splice adapter for 2 50' cables. Power for the Playmaker comes from the Wally so don't understand the genny comment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CO0582.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	285376  
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 07:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I have used 200' of RG6 cable with my King Tailgater Pro and Wally. I regularly use 100'. I did the same with my previous VQ2500 dish and VIP211 receiver.
In my opinion, the Dish Playmaker is probably the worst dish they make. Everyone I know that had one, got rid of it and upgraded. I have no idea how much cable you can use with the Playmaker. Let us know!
Per usual, you guys got that right. Just purchased a King Tailgater because of all the problems with the Playmaker. Heading out this morning for the first trip of the year, and can't wait to try out the new dish. To the OP- 100' of RG6 is fine like they said, with no splitters. But you gotta remember with this portable DISH stuff- it really takes very little to lose the signal; a bird flying by, a stray cloud, etc.

Anybody wanna buy a Playmaker w/dual outputs cheap?
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 07:56 AM   #8

I never had any problems with my Dish playmaker mounted hard on the roof of our motorhome, accept that it would re-aim every morning and wake you up. and the fact it is hard mounted on the roof so you can't move it to clear a tree.
I also own a wingard X2 which was nice because it was portable and had a larger dish than the playmake. I don't think they make the x2 anymore. the con was it is larger and harder to store.

the cable is rg-6, I would recommend quad shield. I think the directions said 50' max cable but I seem to recall using 100' on my X2 at times to get the dish out from under the trees.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 08:15 AM   #9

I've had our Dish Tailgator extended 100'+ before. It did seem to take longer to locate and lock on the satelites but its signal was good when completed. If someone channel surfed instead of using the guide, that also seemed a little slower.
2020 F350 SRW Crew Cab
si camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 12:46 PM   #10

We have the Winegard Pathfinder X2. I have used up to 100’ of cable with no problem. I do highly recommend RG6 Quad Shielded, I swapped out standard RG6 for the RG6 Quad Shielded and there was a noticeable difference in signal strength from 40 to 52 on the test screen. Also if using an inline coupler be sure to get the one like the one pictured above with the blue in the center as those are the ones that are designed for digital signals and work better than the cheaper colorless ones. On our last camper I was able to use the built in satellite connection but only after I changed out the couplers to the digital ones.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 08:49 PM   #11

I use my Tailgater for my home TV. I had 150’ of RG6 at first. The big problem came when trying to tune to any channel that used satellite 119. The dish just wouldn’t turn. I bought 150’ of RG11 and it now works great. Just keep that in mind if you ever experience the same issue.
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 08:51 AM   #12

Here is the difference between rg-6 and rg-11
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 10:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWood422 View Post
I use my Tailgater for my home TV. I had 150’ of RG6 at first. The big problem came when trying to tune to any channel that used satellite 119. The dish just wouldn’t turn. I bought 150’ of RG11 and it now works great. Just keep that in mind if you ever experience the same issue.
RG11 may be OK for a fixed location and run but because of its characteristics I think that RG11 is impractical (and not needed) for a carryout sat antenna and changing requirements while on a camping trip. It's very difficult to work with. JMO.
Old 04-02-2023, 03:13 PM   #14

DISH Playmaker Satellite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
RG11 may be OK for a fixed location and run but because of its characteristics I think that RG11 is impractical (and not needed) for a carryout sat antenna and changing requirements while on a camping trip. It's very difficult to work with. JMO.
I have it underground in conduit. Definitely a fixed location.
I have the Tailgater zip-tied to its support so I can take it with me. The RG11 stays where it is. Works well for me.
Old 04-02-2023, 04:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWood422 View Post
I have it underground in conduit. Definitely a fixed location.
I have the Tailgater zip-tied to its support so I can take it with me. The RG11 stays where it is. Works well for me.
So, we're in agreement.
Old 04-02-2023, 04:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeMaggotBob View Post
Tailgater because of all the problems with the Playmaker.
Would you are to elaborate on your problems with a Playmaker?

I got the one very heap as it belonged to my brother-in-law. Hate to think I got a POS on hands. So far it just seems to be very sensitive when it comes to clear southern sky. It better be a clear sky!

Old 04-02-2023, 07:23 PM   #17

DISH Playmaker Satellite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
So, we're in agreement.
Group hug!
Actually, I had never even thought about your point. But it’s a heckuva good point. The idea of trying to move any substantial length of RG11, especially in an RV, sounds cumbersome at best. More likely a royal pain!
Old 04-02-2023, 07:54 PM   #18

What does the Playmaker User Manual state? I find that most of these questions are answered by reading the user manual.

DISH-Playmaker-DISH-Playmaker-Dual-Instruction-Manual.pdf

Hint: Look at NOTE on page 2.

However, there is nothing stating that you cannot try 100' of RG6.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 10:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
What does the Playmaker User Manual state? I find that most of these questions are answered by reading the user manual.

Attachment 285433

Hint: Look at NOTE on page 2.

However, there is nothing stating that you cannot try 100' of RG6.
Sarcasm noted. BUT, as you well should know, what the manufactures say is not always the best or the most economical way to do something. They want their equipment to look good so they short change things. Example is with th number of folks that us 100' cable and it works just fine. Sometimes 50' doesn't clear the trees enough and you need to go a little further thus the 100'. Personal, I will go with the 100' rather than two 50' with a splice. In the past, a splice usually causes problems in the long run.
The manual that you presented says RG6. Nothing is mentioned about going with a quad protection or one with 3ghz rather than 2. Notice the difference? Probably not but it might help over come the loss of signal using 100'.
Old 04-02-2023, 10:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon900Guy View Post
Sarcasm noted. BUT, as you well should know, what the manufactures say is not always the best or the most economical way to do something. They want their equipment to look good so they short change things. Example is with th number of folks that us 100' cable and it works just fine. Sometimes 50' doesn't clear the trees enough and you need to go a little further thus the 100'. Personal, I will go with the 100' rather than two 50' with a splice. In the past, a splice usually causes problems in the long run.
The manual that you presented says RG6. Nothing is mentioned about going with a quad protection or one with 3ghz rather than 2. Notice the difference? Probably not but it might help over come the loss of signal using 100'.
There was no sarcasm intended. I was merely pointing out what the manual says about it and that you could try pushing beyond the limits of what the manufacturer recommends certainly without hurting anything. But if it failed to work, there is no complaining about it because you are operating outside of the parameters recommended by the manufacturer.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, satellite