Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2022, 12:11 PM   #1

Dish Sat TV service

I have a 2022 surveyor Legend. one hookup for tv/cable. No separate sat hookup. Only on connection behind TV. Of course it has the light to press to scan for OTA. Cable is same coax as well as Sat line I guess. I know wiring can be messed but if the OTA comes in perfectly then I would assume wiring is ok as it is only one wire from the outside rv hookup. Anyone have the same and having issues getting Dish to work. I had to bring the wire in through the slid opening direct to dish receiver to get it to work.

Any thoughts on how to fix this. Also with only one electrical outlet behind TV, I may need to add as it takes two outlets for dish receiver and the hard drive i use with it to be able to pause and record.

Thanks in advance.
ronthet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 12:22 PM   #2

Satellite TV needs dedicated coax from receiver to dish, cannot have any splitters, amplifiers, etc. in the line. You'll need to run a dedicated coax for Dish.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 12:27 PM   #3

We've had a Pathway X2 coupled with Dish for several years. Like said ... if you don't have a dedicated coax for satellite already run in your RV ... the splitters and such in any RV's wiring play havoc with Dish (at least for us) I just installed a pass thru coax connection in the wall directly behind the main TV and hook the X2 to that. Works every time.
As for only one outlet ... there are all kinds of double and triple 110 outlet wall adapters available about anywhere.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 12:30 PM   #4

Assuming you have the over the air antenna booster panel this is probably what you need to do if you want to use the park cable port for your sat dish. Pull the panel and have a look see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img20220203_19303479.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	270054  
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 01:16 PM   #5

RV coax diagram

I received the attached from Forest River. It is how my Sierra is wired. May be helpful to you not sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coax Routing and Antenna.png
Views:	117
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	270056  
RV Bicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 02:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Bicyclist View Post
I received the attached from Forest River. It is how my Sierra is wired. May be helpful to you not sure.
Interesting but all of those interconnects are outputs from the sat receiver (not an issue). The sat antenna is a straight shot to the receiver and that's the OP's dilemma.
Old 03-14-2022, 02:33 PM   #7

Thank you to all for comments. Think with cost of dish might be better just get starlink and use all streaming services?
ronthet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 02:47 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Well if you believe Dish to be expensive, Starlink is $499 initially and $99 per month.
Last I read it was still in Beta for R/Vers.

Streaming can be OK (we do it) but it's not without its own set of challenges at times but getting better as technology advances.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 07:31 PM   #9

Or...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther View Post
Satellite TV needs dedicated coax from receiver to dish, cannot have any splitters, amplifiers, etc. in the line. You'll need to run a dedicated coax for Dish.
Or you could take the switch plate off the amplifier, disconnect the input cable from the switch and connect it to a barrel connector and extension to achieve the desired dedicated connection.

EDIT: Like the picture in Post #4. Thanks, Bubbles

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 07:52 PM   #10

Additionally, assuming the Wally will connect to TV via HDMI a simple $5 A/B switch could be inserted so that over the air antenna and park cable inputs can still be available. A/B switches are bidirectional and unlike a splitter do not cause any sat antenna/receiver interconnect issues.
Old 03-14-2022, 10:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther View Post

That has been my experience with both Dish and Direct TV. Many folks who may not want to drill and screw and run cables use a portable sat antenna. Then snake the in through the edge or bottom of the slide. We ran it through the weather seal on our toy hauler back door. Some rigs are convenient just to drill the cable in from the roof to a cabinet . Three screws mount most dishes.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 10:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronthet View Post
Thank you to all for comments. Think with cost of dish might be better just get starlink and use all streaming services?
Dish becomes inexpensive if you have it at home as the Wally is then just an added $8 a month or thereabout.

Whereas we pay $65 a month for our hot spot which is not always usable.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 06:26 AM   #13

Agree! My Dish is only $5/mo. A big feature also is you can turn it off & on monthly, if you’re not traveling. Of course, you have to have a Dish pkg. at home to do this.
ACE110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 07:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE110 View Post
Agree! My Dish is only $5/mo. A big feature also is you can turn it off & on monthly, if you’re not traveling. Of course, you have to have a Dish pkg. at home to do this.
Or, have a trusting friend or relative who will let you piggyback on their account.
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 08:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE110 View Post
Just got the Wally/Playmaker last month.
You do not have to have Dish at home to turn off Dish RV.
I can start and stop it any time I want. No contract.

As to the OP's issue:
I had the same wiring problem.
Three separate coax... Sat, Cable, Roof antenna.
None of those coax in the RV would work with Dish. Direct wire was required.
The issue I believe is that the Wally sends and receives updates in the middle of the night. The direct coax carries some sort of current because as it is updating you will hear the satellite antenna under the dome rotating to all the satellites. This is with the box off.
This is an issue with us since I mounted the dome on the roof over our bedroom. 4-4:30 AM EVERY morning it goes off.
FirstFiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 08:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstFiver View Post
This is an issue with us since I mounted the dome on the roof over our bedroom. 4-4:30 AM EVERY morning it goes off.
You can change the time of day it does that.

press “Home” twice

Go to “settings”

Go to “power”

Change the “Daily Reset Time”
Old 03-16-2022, 09:04 AM   #17

RF over DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstFiver View Post
The issue I believe is that the Wally sends and receives updates in the middle of the night. The direct coax carries some sort of current because as it is updating you will hear the satellite antenna under the dome rotating to all the satellites. This is with the box off.
The satellite antenna needs DC power for updates, to steer, and to power the Low-Noise Amplifiers. They use a simple scheme that puts DC and RF (radio frequency signals) on the same cable.

There is nothing new or secret or cryptic about this scheme. It's been used for decades to power antenna rotators for over the air reception. Splitters commonly are transformers; they pass the RF but block the DC.

You can snake another cable into the RV if you don't mind its looks. If you want to use an existing cable instead, you have to bypass the splitter as described in post #4. You can also install an inexpensive A/B switch, so you can switch between using the dish and using the system as installed.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 09:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
The satellite antenna needs DC power for updates, to steer, and to power the Low-Noise Amplifiers. They use a simple scheme that puts DC and RF (radio frequency signals) on the same cable.

There is nothing new or secret or cryptic about this scheme. It's been used for decades to power antenna rotators for over the air reception. Splitters commonly are transformers; they pass the RF but block the DC.

You can snake another cable into the RV if you don't mind its looks. If you want to use an existing cable instead, you have to bypass the splitter as described in post #4. You can also install an inexpensive A/B switch, so you can switch between using the dish and using the system as installed.
That's what I did, just ran a cable direct.
Old 03-16-2022, 09:29 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
You can change the time of day it does that.

press “Home” twice

Go to “settings”

Go to “power”

Change the “Daily Reset Time”

My wife says THANK YOU!!!
Old 03-21-2022, 06:52 PM   #20

This is what I did...

Scan down to see Bubbles response. I never use park cable so I did exactly what is suggested. I now use former rv mounted cable connector as my sat connection. The first splitter in my DM DQ 300st is the OTA antenna boost swx. I bypassed that with a new dedicated cable to the receiver and Voila! it works perfectly and I do not need to have cables running from/through doors or windows. Doing this does not affect your OTA. Your park cable will be inop.
ronncda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service