Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2015, 10:59 AM   #1

DISH TV account frustrations

Some may remember (and roll their eyes), but I'm STILL having an impossible time keeping a "Pay as You Go" DISH account. They don't understand it, or else I don't!

I have Direct TV at home. Pointing that portable dish was such an issue, I got a Pathway X2 and a Dish account. It worked (when there are no trees for 1,000 feet!), but keeping the account active was impossible. They kept canceling me. I'd call, and get transferred nine times, and one guy would finally tell me 'Oh yeah, I understand, I'll fix your account so it shows PAYG", and the next day I'd get another cancel email.

So this summer, I finally again got tired of trying to point the Direct TV dish manually, so I reactivated DISH. I called, and got it all started back. They again told me it was ok, and I was set up as PAYG. That was period July 9 through Aug 9.

So, come Aug 9, I got a bill for the next month. I don't need it, not going camping........so I ignored it.

Now today, I get a bill for TWO months and a DEMAND that I pay it now. What happened to PAYG? I go to my "mydish" account online to try and send an email, chat, something...........and it is suspended/inactive for no payment.

These folks are nuts (or I am). There is no Pay As You Go type account where you pay a month, and skip 6, and pick it back up and pay a month, maybe two, and skip another 4, etc..........not that anyone in DISH knows about.

Yet I hear people say "Oh mine works fine", but I think they have DISH at home. I think that's the difference.

Is there ANYONE out there that has Direct TV at home (Or cable, or whatever), and a DISH PAYG account for their trailer? IF so, PM me and call me and please, Lawzy, help me figure this out!

Thanks!!!
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:27 PM   #2

Just ignore the bills. That what they told me to do.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:27 PM   #3
Haulin' Camp

I have the same problem. One time Dish sent me a collection letter on a PAY AS YOU GO account.

The last time I activated it took just over an hour to get the account turned on. I paid for one month of service. I received a notice of nonpayment two months later.

I called their customer service department to complain. They said their system automatically generates an overdue notice and there is no way for them to get around that.

Absolutely frustrating.
2 Dogs

KewlKamperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:20 PM   #4
Berkshire 390QS

We have dish Pay as you go and have used it for several years. (direct at home)

Providing you own your equipment including the reciever.

1. When you come off the road and do not want the service, call and CANCEL your service otherwise they will keep billing your account.
2. If you ask them to SUSPEND your account, they will keep billing you $5 a month and a reactivation fee.

They key thing is you want you account CANCELED and just restart it when you wish resume your services, they will even credit you for the part of the month you didn't use.

Skip
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:21 PM   #5

Whew.

May sound like minor stuff, but I do appreciate those last two posters! I thought I was crazy. Folks kept telling me they did it ok, no problems.

I'm about done with Dish.

Anyone want a big honking Pathway X2 automatic dish for an exorbitant price????

I STILL DO NOT KNOW why I can't buy a Direct TV "Traveler" dish and it be automatic even though it's NOT permanently attached to roof. NO one can explain why that won't work. I can't afford $1,700 just to find out, but no one on Earth seems to have done it.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO3putt View Post
We have dish Pay as you go and have used it for several years. (direct at home)

Providing you own your equipment including the reciever.

1. When you come off the road and do not want the service, call and CANCEL your service otherwise they will keep billing your account.
2. If you ask them to SUSPEND your account, they will keep billing you $5 a month and a reactivation fee.

They key thing is you want you account CANCELED and just restart it when you wish resume your services, they will even credit you for the part of the month you didn't use.

Skip
Skip,
I tried that the first time. BTW, you can only 'suspend' your account for X months out of the year, I think it's 5 (?) and not ever again (they said). Plus it costs, like you said.

Calling them to cancel sounds good. But I don't speak Indian well and they are lost when I told them that.

They simply need to either stop advertising PAYG, or they need a true PAYG accounting system.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:43 PM   #7

I have direct tv at home and on my previous 5th wheel mounted a Winegard Road Trip on the roof. When we traveled we brought the Gennie and regular receiver from home. Never had to suspend or cancel anything. My understanding is that direct uses one satellite for almost all of continental US which was important if we wanted to watch different channels at the same time
Old 08-27-2015, 09:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbdavey View Post
I have direct tv at home and on my previous 5th wheel mounted a Winegard Road Trip on the roof. When we traveled we brought the Gennie and regular receiver from home. Never had to suspend or cancel anything. My understanding is that direct uses one satellite for almost all of continental US which was important if we wanted to watch different channels at the same time
No HD. I just can't see bothering with TV (sports, movies) if not HD. Just my opinion.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:30 PM   #9
Berkshire 390QS

dish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Skip,
I tried that the first time. BTW, you can only 'suspend' your account for X months out of the year, I think it's 5 (?) and not ever again (they said). Plus it costs, like you said.

Calling them to cancel sounds good. But I don't speak Indian well and they are lost when I told them that.

They simply need to either stop advertising PAYG, or they need a true PAYG accounting system.
The key is CANCEL, not suspend account. We usually cancel and restart our account 4 or 5 times a year. Do you own your equipment out right or on a contract for the reciever?

Best time to call is AM and option 4 for technical support. Those folks are US based providing you call Mon-Fri during the day.
Skip
Old 08-27-2015, 09:33 PM   #10

Own outright. 211z and Pathway X2.

I get it.......but not sure WHY you have to cancel an account, lose all online access to your account, and start over, and then do it all over again......... and make a call to do it, and talk to someone who has English as a 3rd language!
Old 08-27-2015, 09:41 PM   #11
Berkshire 390QS

Even when you cancel your account, they maintain it and we just call and have it started again. Sure you lose the access to mydish account on their web site, but when you restart it's all right there. You do not have to reestablish new account, just have them restart the same account.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:58 PM   #12
jkoenig24

Sounds like S.O.P. for Dish network. When I signed up, I was quoted one price. Then, Dish jacked it up almost $20 / month AND told me I had to pay another $5 / month when I don't use it. Whenever a company f&*#s me, I drop them. I get DVDs at my local library. I rip them onto an external hard drive, watch them while I'm on the road and then delete the file (time shifting; legal according to the US Supreme Court).
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:54 PM   #13

Exactly well put

Quote:
Originally Posted by no3putt View Post
we have dish pay as you go and have used it for several years. (direct at home)

providing you own your equipment including the reciever.

1. When you come off the road and do not want the service, call and cancel your service otherwise they will keep billing your account.
2. If you ask them to suspend your account, they will keep billing you $5 a month and a reactivation fee.

They key thing is you want you account canceled and just restart it when you wish resume your services, they will even credit you for the part of the month you didn't use.

Skip
+1000000000000000000000
2017 SUZUKI KINQQUAD 500 EPS
TRAVELINBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:22 PM   #14

I have dish at home and in my RPod. Whenever I ran into problems it was because I was directed to the rep in Philippines, so I just said to transfer me to America. The problems got resolved right away
Beemer Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:58 AM   #15
Team Bleu

I have Dish HD, own all my own equipment, but when in use from February 25th til December 1st, I pay the monthly bill even if my RV is sitting in the driveway for a few weeks. Only time it goes on Pause is December $5.95 a month.

We tried to put it on Pause for a few weeks take it off and back on and it became a hassle
DBsRedVett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:59 AM   #16

If you have DirectTV at home, you can use any DirectTV antenna on/with your RV and use the box from your house with it. The only thing you will not get is your local network stations which are generally restricted to a 50+mi radius from home.

DirectTV has a service, DNS (Distant Network Service) that provides the network feeds from either NYC or LA, depending on where your current registered location is. This service costs an additional $5/month and cannot be added to your home account due to network licensing restrictions. If you want to use this, you need a separate account for the RV. An alternative to DNS, saving the $5/mopnth is to constantly "relocate" yourself with DirectTV and they'll provide the "local" network stations which could be a few hundred miles away. For example, in the SW corner of NM, the local stations are from Albuquerque, NM.

I use a tripod mounted 5-satellite SWM antenna in the RV. TV isn't important enough to set it up for a night or two but when we're staying somewhere for a week or so, the dish gets set up. It usually takes around 15 minutes to get it correctly aimed.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:26 PM   #17

We have Direct TV, travel with roof dish and Direct TV receiver in TT. Have another receiver and dish at beach house. Direct TV bills me $5.00 month for each additional receiver. Only the receivers at home are HD. Doesn't seem to be a problem. Leave them active year round. If idle for 30-90 days sometime have to call to activate receiver at beach or in TT.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:26 AM   #18

sounds like WAY too much hassle just to have TV. Are all the headaches associated with it worth it?
JoeNanMinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:08 AM   #19

Way too much hassle for the DW and I. We are strictly over the air watchers and almost everything is in HD. We are also OTA at home getting way more channels than we can watch. Also have a OTA DVR from channel master that records, pause, fast forward and rewind. Getting ready for a trip we will record many hours of tv watching and movies bringing the DVR with us. Our portable hard drive (1TB) and the DVR fills the gaps on a rainy day all for free and in HD. It's rare when we are at a campground to hook up to there cable if available, our antenna on the camper does a pretty good job of picking up local channels and networks all in HD.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote