Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #1

DISH TV Experience Disappointing

We made the jump and bought a DISH Tailgater package to use in our new MH. We have UVERSE at home and have never had SAT TV. It's a great concept (monthly pay as you go, when you want it). Unfortunately, in the first month of trying to use it I've only been able to get SAT once (and that was at a park that provided cable TV)! I have found that nearly every park that we have stayed that there is enough tree cover to prevent the dish from finding the satellites. I feel like I've wasted $450 for the dish and receiver. Apparently, in Michigan and the northern states the sats are low enough on the horizon that trees easily disrupt the signals.

Do any people on the Forum have similar / better experiences?
dcogs15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #2

I have the Tailgater too, on our 2nd trip with the MH the dish on the MH could only get 1 of the 2 sats. By using the Tailgater I was able to move it to a position the could get both Sats. It's just a matter of getting use to the unit and know where to put it to see thru/around the trees as the case may be. I use a web site "dishpointer.com" and can close-up any campsite so as to see exactly where to put the Tailgater. It's just a matter of getting use to the unit.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #3

Do you have a "smart phone"?

If so, you need to get one of the satellite-finder apps. Two popular ones are DishPointer Augmented Reality and Satellite AR. These let you look at the sky thru your phone camera and shows where the satellites are on that screen. This will allow you to place the Tailgater where it can see the satellites.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post

If so, you need to get one of the satellite-finder apps. Two popular ones are DishPointer Augmented Reality and Satellite AR. These let you look at the sky thru your phone camera and shows where the satellites are on that screen. This will allow you to place the Tailgater where it can see the satellites.
The whole purpose of the Tailgater is you don't have to do find the satellites. You point it Southwest and the Tailgater does the rest to find the satellites. We had issues with trees so many times we finally gave up using our Tailgater.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post

X2

I have little troubles and usually can work around trees.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:58 AM   #6

The reason for the phone app, or the web site is so that you can see WHERE to place the dish and avoid the tree issues to begin with. Yes the tailgater is an automatic dish, but if you have trees in line of sight then you need to know first to avoid the frustration of no signal.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:15 AM   #7

I, too, use the smart phone app. The one I use on an iPhone is called "Dish for my RV". It works great and is simple to use.
2015 Ford F250 4X4, 6.7 PSD
Pullrite Slider Hitch
jonandjolene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:43 AM   #8

"Dish for my RV", it works for me.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:54 AM   #9

We got the Tailgater in the spring of 2012 & found the same issue with dense tree cover.
I had some extra coax laying around from when I was in the cable TV field.
I made up a 150' length on a cord reel. That plus the 50' they give you & I am able to position the dish just about anywhere needed to get a signal.

Just a word of caution about the DISH month by month plan.
We discontinued our subscription at the end of Dec 2012.
We haven't been out yet this year. Got too much going on with the renovations around the house.
In June they started billing a $5 account "keep alive" fee.
I haven't had a chance to go back through the website but I don't remember seeing that when I signed up.
I'm sure it's buried in some fine print somewhere.
2011 Silverado 2500 4WD, LT, Ext Cab, LB
Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel
Allison 1000 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #10

We have Dish at home also and haven't noticed a "keep alive" fee. That may be the difference.
2015 Ford F250 4X4, 6.7 PSD
Pullrite Slider Hitch
jonandjolene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #11

Many of the campgrounds now have websites, with pictures of the campground. When traveling, you may want to go to those sites and pick one that appears to have minimal tree cover. I know, you'll then be burning up in the sun - I guess that's the tradeoff. I have a roof mounted DirecTV autofinder dish, and often find myself blocked by trees. But then I'm usually perfectly happy with over-the-air stations. Helps if upon checkin you ask for a site with clear views to the southwest.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote