Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2021, 07:57 PM   #1

Does 15000 btu Dometic AC need to be replaced? Compressor drawing 11.75 amps

I have 2 Dometic Brisk II 15000 btu ACs B59516 on my (new to me) travel trailer. One does not seem to be cooling that well. On a 95+ degree day the compressor was pulling from 11.75 - 12 amps and the air just seemed slightly cold, however the unit on top did have a small stream of condensation coming out of it. The other unit at the same time was pulling 13.25 - 13.5 amps and was cooling very well. The air coming out of it was noticably colder. The unit pulling 11.75 amps has clean coils and everything else seems to be working on it, just is not cooling well. According to the info I found on the Dometic website, the compressor is rated at 13.2 amps, so it seems one of the units is at specs but the other is below. Does this suggest need to replace the one not cooling that well, based on amp draw? If the unit is rated at 13.2 amps, what is the lowest acceptable amp draw that would suggest there is no leak? Thanks.
Bhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:04 PM   #2

When I check an AC unit a quick and dirty method is see how much temperature change you get between incoming air and the air immediately leaving. You have 2 units to compare between. Without getting into dewpoints etc. you're looking between 15-20 degrees The more your filters are blocked the slower the air moves so it will cool more.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:05 PM   #3
Brake is on left

My gut reaction is at the compressor valves (or scroll depending on model) are shot. It's not building pressure so the current draw is less. If it is a heat pump then it could also be the reversing valve. As suggested above, taking a temperature delta would tell you of they are performing equally. If not, and you don't work on them yourself, it's probably replacement time.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:32 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply. Replacing the compressor valves would require cutting into the freon lines, correct? Or could it be done without doing that. My understanding is these systems are sealed closed with no valves to add freon, so once the system needs freon you have to actually get a new system.
Old 07-29-2021, 12:50 PM   #5

I agree with the other replys.The valves are inside the compressor.Some other things such as refrigerant metering devices and airflow can look like compressor problems.
With todays labor rates and chances of more problems you might check the price of a replacement unit against a replacement compressor.
jjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 02:00 PM   #6

Sometimes when the compressor gets old there is metal in the system and it is difficult to clean. My Dometic compressor locked up and I couldn’t find a replacement. More of the modern day of throw away.
aircommuter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:07 PM   #7
Trailer Park Supervisor

A thousand dollar throwaway though.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
A thousand dollar throwaway though.
Yep U.S. labor rates too high compared to CN rates.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
Yep U.S. labor rates too high compared to CN rates.
AC related question not sure if this is the right place to ask....I live in an area that often gets 110+ degrees and I park my TT (Forest River Cruise lite 28.8') on the side of my house pugged into 30 Amp shore power. I set my TT AC to 80 and run almost constant in the day time I have been told that when the TT gets to hot it causes seals to start leaking and can warp or damage parts of the RV. I have sole on the Shore power and am not concerned about Elec usage. In the summer we are home for no more than 2 weeks and then head to the coast or high elevations to escape the heat.
Is my thinking correct on running the AC or am I causing more ware on the AC than it is designed for.
TomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:30 PM   #10
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
I live in an area that often gets 110+ degrees
You're tougher than me, I would have moved by now! My
GUESS is these things were not designed with that sort of heavy use. Certainly RV's themselves were never designed for full-time use.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:38 PM   #11
Brake is on left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhawk2 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Replacing the compressor valves would require cutting into the freon lines, correct? Or could it be done without doing that. My understanding is these systems are sealed closed with no valves to add freon, so once the system needs freon you have to actually get a new system.
Modern compressors are hermetically sealed. You would replace the compressor itself. But it could be done. Unlikely (even if you did it yourself) that it would be worthwhIle over buying a new unit.

These little systems are "sealed" but that doesn't mean much. I fixed a leak on one of my old ones. Just used a piercing valve to recover the remaining refrigerant and then burned in a service port. Evacuated, charged and good to go. Still running on a friend's rig. Thing is, if you paid someone to do all that it would have been $300. So on a 8 year old unit I'd have said forget it. Considering a shop wants $2000 to replace one, fixing a newer unit is much more economical
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoMan View Post
AC related question not sure if this is the right place to ask....I live in an area that often gets 110+ degrees and I park my TT (Forest River Cruise lite 28.8') on the side of my house pugged into 30 Amp shore power. I set my TT AC to 80 and run almost constant in the day time I have been told that when the TT gets to hot it causes seals to start leaking and can warp or damage parts of the RV. I have sole on the Shore power and am not concerned about Elec usage. In the summer we are home for no more than 2 weeks and then head to the coast or high elevations to escape the heat.
Is my thinking correct on running the AC or am I causing more ware on the AC than it is designed for.
Usage is wear of course but sitting isnít always good either. As for the RV warping and seals leaking may vary with the particular unit.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
Modern compressors are hermetically sealed. You would replace the compressor itself. But it could be done. Unlikely (even if you did it yourself) that it would be worthwhIle over buying a new unit.

These little systems are "sealed" but that doesn't mean much. I fixed a leak on one of my old ones. Just used a piercing valve to recover the remaining refrigerant and then burned in a service port. Evacuated, charged and good to go. Still running on a friend's rig. Thing is, if you paid someone to do all that it would have been $300. So on a 8 year old unit I'd have said forget it. Considering a shop wants $2000 to replace one, fixing a newer unit is much more economical
Thanks for the reply. I tried several other things including cleaning the coils and taped up the divider between return and supply. *I did notice that where the freon line comes in through the foam housing there was daylight and the supply coil was a little dirty. *I plugged the hole and cleaned off the dirt. *Only got a temp difference between return and supply of about 12 degrees. *I pulled the hood off the unit that was cooling well and compared the line running to the inside coil and there was significant difference...it was cold and covered with condensation. *The unit not cooling was dry and only slightly cool. *I decided to go ahead and replace the unit and the new unit cools much better, however, the original unit that is cooling works better than the new one...the air coming out of it is around 50 degrees and the new one is about 55 degrees.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:07 AM   #14
Trailer Park Supervisor

What's the differential on the new one? Return and supply?
Old 07-30-2021, 10:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
What's the differential on the new one? Return and supply?
I did not check it, but probably about 25 degrees. It was at least 80 inside the camper.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:24 AM   #16
Trailer Park Supervisor

Wow, working great! I think that exceeds most specs.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:03 AM   #17
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoMan View Post
I'd guess that's a personal choice.

In all my years of R/V ownership and reading forums, a properly maintained R/V (slide seals/roof/etc.) have never posed any issues from not running the A/C full time.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=98
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 12:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I'd guess that's a personal choice.

In all my years of R/V ownership and reading forums, a properly maintained R/V (slide seals/roof/etc.) have never posed any issues from not running the A/C full time.
For the most part things in an RV that suffer from high heat are items like soap's on the bath, cleaning products in cabinets, and any canned goods left in the pantry.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 01:02 PM   #19
Cousins

My 15k AC unit on my 6 year old RV was just serviced with freon. They had to put the valves on to charge it with. Total bill $100 and made a Hugh difference in South Mississippi Summers.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:31 PM   #20
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie and Catherine View Post
My 15k AC unit on my 6 year old RV was just serviced with freon. They had to put the valves on to charge it with. Total bill $100 and made a Hugh difference in South Mississippi Summers.
Holy smokes that is beyond reasonable. I miss Southern pricing. You can keep your humidity though!

Tags
500, dometic