Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2022, 11:05 PM   #1

Domestic two door fridge barely cooling

Hi all,

2014 Cedar creek owner here,

Our fridge has never been great - I'm working in Yuma AZ right now, 110 degrees on average, but as of today the temp on the fridge is reading 48. Lots of condensation and the items in my fridge are warming up. I'm hooked up to shore power. Fridge is in a slide out so it has the two openings on the outside.

Any tips on where to start looking? I can hear the fans running, temp is set to max cool. The thermostat inside the fridge is still in the holder up top near the fins.
HighVoltageSubstationdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 11:14 PM   #2

I've seen a few people remove the bottom vent door to allow more air flow. Make sure nothing is obstructing the top vent. Try to keep the inside oh thr RV in the 70degree range. Running on AC is better than running on gas in high ambient conditions.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 11:20 PM   #3

I can leave bottom door off, but that would leave wires and parts exposed. Inside the AC is 68 in bedroom and low 80s in the living room (drops at night, it's extremely hot here). Something changed though, we've been in Yuma for two weeks now and it was working as usual until today.
Old 07-01-2022, 11:21 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighVoltageSubstationdude View Post
Hi all,

2014 Cedar creek owner here,

Our fridge has never been great - I'm working in Yuma AZ right now, 110 degrees on average, but as of today the temp on the fridge is reading 48. Lots of condensation and the items in my fridge are warming up. I'm hooked up to shore power. Fridge is in a slide out so it has the two openings on the outside.

Any tips on where to start looking? I can hear the fans running, temp is set to max cool. The thermostat inside the fridge is still in the holder up top near the fins.
It's always helpful if you posted what model number your Dometic fridge is. Saying it's a two door isn't enough information. Dometic makes many different two door fridges.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 11:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
It's always helpful if you posted what model number your Dometic fridge is. Saying it's a two door isn't enough information. Dometic makes many different two door fridges.
RM1350MX
Old 07-02-2022, 10:05 AM   #6

Dometic Double door not cooling.

Try parking with fridge to north. Also fabricating a sloping shade will also help along with the previous recommended removal of the lower panel. The more air flow the better.
Dodge2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:09 AM   #7

Refrig Not Cooling

Be sure the RV is level front to back and side to side. The heat from the LP burner or electric coil wants to go straight up. Likewise, for the liquid refrigerant, it wants to go up or down, not sideways.
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 02:02 PM   #8
Ski

I had the same problem with my 4 door fridge. I finally discovered that when I closed the door that the flap between the doors wasn’t flipping over to seal the gap between the doors. All the cold air was draining out. The dealer tried to figure out why it cooled the freezer fine but the fridge would go over 50 degrees. I finally noticed that I could see into the fridge.
Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 02:10 PM   #9

Ditto Ski. We had that issue. Exactly! Same fridge. The 4 door.

Go find your flashlight that also flashes. Stick it in the fridge after dark. It will be obvious.

A seal issue failure acts like this. Lots of condensation.

If the unit is in the slide you need supplementary fans to move the air in the back.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 03:07 PM   #10

X2 TomkatB

I agree with TomkatB. On the outside upper panel to the refrigerator if you remove that and look behind a 1/4 inch piece of plywood that should be there (leave the plywood in place it aids in the cooling) there should be a little computer type cooling fan to move the air around. At least thats what I have on my 2020 37MBH. Look behind the plywood with a flashlight and see if you have that fan. Mine malfunctioned fairly soon after I purchased it and I found the fan rusted at the shaft and in the lower drain catch (the refrigerators are stored in their boxes outdoors at the factory and subject to weather) Replaced it with the same type fan. For a small fan it makles a huge difference in cooling the unit. Just a thought.
Pmp1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 03:30 PM   #11

Fridge model will help us help you. If it’s a model that runs on propane, try switching over to propane since I know my fridge runs better on propane then it does on electric. When you say the fans are running, I assume you mean the fans behind the fridge. If you have no fans behind your fridge you need to get some and if you only have one you might want to try 2 one at the top and one at the bottom to help with better airflow.

All this aside, given those extreme outside temps, you might be doing the best you can. Try and make sure the fridge vents are in shade if possible.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 04:21 PM   #12
Ski

If your freezer is really cold but the fridge warms up it is probably the door flapper that leaves a 1/2" gap down the front of the fridge. If the units not cooling correctly the freezer section won't be really cold either. On the 4th trip to the dealer they finally were able to adjust the flap so it closed every time.
Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 06:59 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfishing View Post
Fridge model will help us help you. If it’s a model that runs on propane, try switching over to propane since I know my fridge runs better on propane then it does on electric. When you say the fans are running, I assume you mean the fans behind the fridge. If you have no fans behind your fridge you need to get some and if you only have one you might want to try 2 one at the top and one at the bottom to help with better airflow.

All this aside, given those extreme outside temps, you might be doing the best you can. Try and make sure the fridge vents are in shade if possible.
The OP posted the model number back in post #5.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:06 PM   #14

Fridge not cooling

I had the same issue last year when I visited Arizona and Utah. I just put this fan controller in a few days ago

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2756040 Look for my post.

DS2 USN 73-79
Forest River 2020 Wildwood 171RBXL
Highinthemountains is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, door, fridge