Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2021, 04:41 PM   #1
CRiley

Dometic 1350 cooling fans

I have a four door dometic 1350 refrigerator in our 2016 Forester. It seems to be cooling inside properly but the cooling fans behind it are running constantly. They used to just come on occasionally, run for a little while and then turn off. It is not hot here in the RGV right now.Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:37 PM   #2

I have that same refrigerator in my rv. It also has fans that blow air over the cooling fins and help move the warm air out the top vent. In my set-up the refrigerator is in the slide out, so the top vent is on the side of the rv. Once I remove the top vent cover, I have access to the limit switch that turns the fans on, as well as the fans themselves. The limit switch is on the cooling fins of the backside of the refrigerator. Its what senses the temperature and completes the circuit to turn the fans on. What im getting at, is that maybe the limit switch has broken and is now always completing the circuit. Or perhaps it has fallen onto something warmer making it turn the fans on all the time.

Another problem could be that the relay that powers the fans has malfunctioned as well. The relay is located near the bottom of the refrigerator. Behind the lower refrigerator vent.

And finally I would check where the power wires to the fan relay goes Into the power distribution block. Also near the bottom of the refrigerator.

I'm no expert in electronics and I'm not sure if I have explained this well enough for someone else to understand. I also may have not used the proper terminology in trying to explain how I understand the fan system works for the refrigerator.

I have attached an image of what the limit switch looks like. I had a problem last summer with the refrigerator fans not coming on at all, and to get me through my camping trip, I temporarily bypassed the limit switch and installed a 12v toggle switch in its place. That way I was able to turn the fans on and off manually as needed. Perhaps this is something you could do, so that you don't hear the fans running all the time.
Click image for larger version

Name:	dometic_refrigerator_thermistor_limit_switch-96105-3.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	245902
Gwiggels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:19 AM   #3

I have the same refrigerator but it's not in a slide. Do you know if the fans are standard equipment on that model?
I'm aware that the slide mounted refrigerators need help moving air across the coils so wondering if fans are only on that setup.
I have yet to discover any fans in the one on my Forester although I can hear something running from outside on occasion.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:21 AM   #4

the fans are only needed on the models in slide. That is because the slide does not have the roof vent, and the fan forces the air out the top side vent.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:52 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I'd start with the temp sensor mentioned by Gwiggles.

If your fridge is in a slide, make sure the curved baffle in the upper compartment is in place. (if they are still putting them in...some were falling out and down onto the fins blocking airflow)

If it's not in a slide, check the roof vent to be sure it's not full of leaves or debris. There is a screen to keep stuff from falling down inside but it can get blocked.

I have the same fridge (in a slide) and had to add fans as the factory ones simply couldn't do the job. There are multiple threads on how to do so.

Also... are you running on electric or LP?
The refrigerator rear compartment temps get much higher on LP and the fans will run more. (sometimes almost constantly depending on ambient temps)

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
the fans are only needed on the models in slide. That is because the slide does not have the roof vent, and the fan forces the air out the top side vent.
My 1350 is not in a slide but has a fan that seems to run only when the ambient air temperature is over 80.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:18 AM   #7

sorry Emm. I thought the roof vent and chimney affect was the reason for the fan. I know you can add one aftermarket to vents on roof. I looked up that model refreg and it looks very large. additional venting maybe be required.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:30 PM   #8

I am not sure if my RV has fans or not.
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:31 PM   #9
CRiley

The refrigerator isn't in a slide out. They run constantly on both on AC and LP. I'll check the limit switch. Thanks for the responses.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:05 AM   #10

I have used a digital fan controller for the past several years. I also have a RM1350 in a slide. Having the ability to control the on/off temps for the fans makes a lot of difference. You can mount the probe on the boiler tube or hang it inside the lower compartment to measure outside temps. On hot days I set mine to turn on between 85 and 95 degrees. Shut down @ 60 or 70 degrees. It doesn't take long to figure out what works best for your setup.The picture on top is the old style with a separate on/off power switch. The new model mounts everything on a single panel. You can purchase the new model for $32.50 at RV Cooling Unit Warehouse. My controller is managing 6 fans with no problem. Very easy to install. It helps to add a fan or two at the top with a baffle.

Dave Force is the guy at RV Cooling Unit Warehouse that can answer all of your questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0627.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	359.8 KB
ID:	245961   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0609.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	245969  
Attached Images

Tags