Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2020, 01:15 PM   #1

DOMETIC 15K BTU AC LAG

Is it normal for the ac unit to lag on extremely hot days. I have a 2019 forest river Wildeood 26DBLE. We went out this last weekend it was over 100 everyday with 0 shade at the RV grounds. During the day it would get extremely hot in the RV, AC blasting away. At night took several hours to catch up. Any advice would be great.
ewwilli2tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:53 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to FRF.

Read a few threads about poor cooling and check all the things you can find listed.
Duct work ends open into attic, ducts clogged and/or collapsed, partition between supply and return not sealed, ducts not sealed at A/C and/or registers, and the list goes on.

Check everything you can think of and see if it helps.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:15 PM   #3

many threads about ac not keeping up. at least you have the 15k and not a 13.5 or you would be in worse shape. keep the door shut, don't run in and out. open the air damn and skip the vents/ loose lots of cold air in hot roof. reflective insulation on windows can help solar heat gain. AC is only so good and when that hot you will have issues.

We just got back from a long weekend in close to same conditions. at least 50 amp and 2 ac units on my rig were able to keep up.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:17 PM   #4

Thanks. I was hoping that was it. May do a few checks just to be sure getting full functionality.
ewwilli2tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 04:26 PM   #5

Your air conditioner will only cool the intake air 18 to 20 degrees. So, if the air entering your AC is 100 degrees, you will be lucky if the air coming out is 80 degrees. Something else to consider, your RV has thin walls, perhaps two inches thick, a ceiling that does not contain much in the way of insulation and walls with huge windows. Our 32ft. 5th wheel came with one 15K air conditioner, I added a second 15K which helps, but on a very hot day, the two running has problems keeping it as cool as I would like.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:14 PM   #6

Check the items listed in the first few posts. I have a 37 foot 5th wheel and it works well with one 15,000 btu Dometic. Lived it it for months at over 90 in Florida with no problems. Probably a poor install that needs to be checked.

Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:44 AM   #7
MCTroy

I agree there is a lot of good information about AC fixes in the forum. Something quick and easy is the foam pillows to cover roof vents. I put in 3 of these and also cover the skylights in our kitchen and shower. It makes a big difference. Good luck.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:28 AM   #8

Unfortunately the brochures leave stuff out.

Sounds about normal.

Like, this trailer is not half ton towable, except in a very limited way. #1200 tongue weight and over 33’ feet long.

A single ac unit will not cool the trailer if the temp gets much above 90 degrees. Swell in the mountains. Houston in the summer, not so good.

100 watts of solar is not much.

Insulation was not maximized on the unit.

Electric only refrigerators are installed as a heat pump. Guess where the heat goes.

Keep shades down. Doors closed. Look for shaded sites. Insulate big windows.

We have a well insulated 37’ fiver and with two 15,000 units it struggles in 105 degree weather with no shade. Fine when the sun goes down. Under 100 is fine.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote