Old 07-31-2020, 04:42 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Don't expect much from any unit in 90+ degree heat in the sun. Very little insulation in the campers.
+1

I just got back yesterday from a few days sitting along a nice lake however with no shade. Temp in mid 90's PLUS the heat from the direct sun fighting the A/C unit. My Coleman 13500 btu unit struggled to keep the inside under 80 but as soon as the sun passed a nearby mountain and gave the area I was some shade, the temp inside dropped to my set temp of 74 and unit would cycle on/off to maintain that.

Shade helps.

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:13 PM   #22

I'm really concerned you are about to toss out a perfectly good A/C unit. You really need to get get someone familiar with them to check the output. I had a wildwood 2017 27 RLSS and the 15k unit would not begin to cool above 90 degrees unless in heavy shade. I think you are expecting too much in our poorly insulated campers.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Don't expect much from any unit in 90+ degree heat in the sun. Very little insulation in the campers.

X2

I never expect much cooling during the day especially on a sunny day...but once the sun goes down, the cooling begins.

*if I have a veryvery wooded site, no issues keeping it comfortable during the day.
kamper00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:23 PM   #24

Grab a temperature gun and check the air temp of the inlet and compare it to the air temp of the outlet. An AC that is working good will give a temperature drop of about 20 degrees. With your reported temps I would bet yours is not cooling at all or maybe just a few degrees meaning a bad AC unit.
Cricket RX5 Golf(?) cart
DougW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:33 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
Grab a temperature gun and check the air temp of the inlet and compare it to the air temp of the outlet. An AC that is working good will give a temperature drop of about 20 degrees. With your reported temps I would bet yours is not cooling at all or maybe just a few degrees meaning a bad AC unit.
Someone suggested that and he replied to that already yesterday.

My take on it is that you are going to have a tough time in direct afternoon sun at anything over 80į. If your unit is in great shape and you have good insulation you may do better but to me, if a room is not below 72į and 50% humidity it is not going to be comfortable. Even with an AC that is putting out cold air you are fighting an uphill battle if you are in the direct sun.

Iím not claiming that the OPís AC unit is working properly, but I still think if you have expectations that it will get down to house level temps in the afternoon you will likely still be disappointed.

If you can park so your unit has the awning to the west then that can help keep the sun off that wall as the sun gets lower, parking under a tree, of course, is a HUGE help.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:15Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:54 PM   #26

I concur Mr. Towed. I don't the the OP has realistic expectations.
Andersen hitch
Old 07-31-2020, 07:07 PM   #27

Cooling

I found that the Dometic thermostats were so far off that I got my AC to cool just by setting the Thermo really low. Would set them at the temp we were looking for and the AC compressor would shut down too soon. Turned the Thermo really low and got cooling.
Had a thermometer on the dinette table and used that as a guide.
TAK425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:14 PM   #28

How about you ask rather than assuming? It was a cooler day today and around 75 to 80 degrees inside today allowing me to do some work on the inside and I was pretty comfortable, no A/C on.

Quote:
I concur Mr. Towed. I don't the the OP has realistic expectations.
trboyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:14 PM   #29

My Coleman 15k unit crapped out < 2 years buying new. I have 2018 Rockwood UltraLite. It was going to be several weeks before the Coleman was replaced so I wanted to install a second AC in my bedroom which is prepped for 2nd AC. After exhaustive research, I decided the Furrion RV Chill over the Coleman Mach 10 NDQ. The Furrion was reportedly in stock with eTrailer.com and the Mach 10 was 'unknown' when it would be back in stock. These 2 units are supposed to be the quietest. Etrailer kept moving my ship date out for the Furrion and the Coleman Mach 10 was unavailable. I finally gave up, canceled my Furrion order, and will just wait for my dealer to replace the Mach 15. As expected, due to the pandemic, supply is short and sales are crazy, so we are out of camping for the time being. My plan is to add another AC unit so if another craps out I will have the other one available to use.

I understand Coleman's are supposed to be the best, but <2 years is not good. Dometics are everywhere, but their quality is toilet worthy (from my research.) It is sad that nobody takes any pride anymore in what they are producing.
RookieRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:23 PM   #30

I tried that on one of the attempts to use it and it didnít seem to make a difference. I had the grill and filter out so I could feel the bottom of the A/C and the air was coming out warm to hot depending on how out it was outside. The air was cooler being blown out of it on the roof. It was pretty obvious and I didnít need a thermometer to know it wasnít right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAK425 View Post
I found that the Dometic thermostats were so far off that I got my AC to cool just by setting the Thermo really low. Would set them at the temp we were looking for and the AC compressor would shut down too soon. Turned the Thermo really low and got cooling.
Had a thermometer on the dinette table and used that as a guide.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:57 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by trboyden View Post
How about you ask rather than assuming? It was a cooler day today and around 75 to 80 degrees inside today allowing me to do some work on the inside and I was pretty comfortable, no A/C on.
Let's us know how the new one works out for you. I wouldn't presume to know. Or offer advice.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:19 PM   #32

One thing that I would recommend is foil tape and window film. We just went through the exercise. In 90+ degrees, it was a sauna in there. We have 2 A/Cs and couldnít keep the trailer below 78

First thing we did was add window film to the inside of the windows. From the outside it acts like a mirror, helping to keep a good deal of heat from coming through the windows. So far we have been impressed with it.

Second thing we did was the foil tape. I am making some assumptions here. We have a ducted unit. These foil recommendations wonít work unless yours is ducted. So with that assumption made, you need to prevent the cold air from mixing with the warm intake (which will ruin the cold to the ducts). Pull the fixture down from the ceiling and add foil tape everywhere. It prevents the air from mixing, keeps the air from escaping to the wrong places, and also increases the pressure in the vents. We then pulled down all the vents and sealed them up good with foil tape.

In the same 90+ degree temps, we have been at 72 degrees in the camper with only one A/C unit running. But again, making the assumption itís ducted

Old 07-31-2020, 10:25 PM   #33

Would be interesting to use a IR temp gun and measure the suction side and liquid side of the compressor.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:07 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by trboyden View Post
The air was cooler being blown out of it on the roof. It was pretty obvious and I didn’t need a thermometer to know it wasn’t right.
That's definitely not right. Get someone who works on these a/c's to verify that it cannot be repaired before replacing it. It might not be the a/c itself but a component that can be repaired. It seems like it should last longer than 2 years.
There are some tips for camping in 90 degree weather. Living in the south, we've learned to cool the rig (trailer or our mh) down at night and hope the temp doesn't get too hot during the day. We also don't go in and out of the trailer a lot during the day. Opening the door a couple of times lets all the a/c out.
Good luck and let us know what you find.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:20 AM   #35

I don't 100% agree with the A/C not being able to cool in 90 degree temps. Our Coleman 15K can keep up with 90+ degree temps (when on a 30 AMP connection) with blinds closed and minimal entry and exits but it runs constantly. Our front Dometic 13.5 (with 50 AMP connection) is used to really cool the camper down, both in tandem get you frostbite. The Dometic is much louder so we don't use it at night.
Another thing about A/Cs is to use them. All summer long I have one or the other A/C on running at home to keep them exercised.
2018 25 2019 25
2020 16
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:25 AM   #36

I like the tip about the window film, sounds promising. Do you have a product recommendation?

I saw on the Big Rig video how they sealed up the gaps and used foam on the wire holes. I planned on replicating that process when I replace the current unit.

Thanks,

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperfi24 View Post
One thing that I would recommend is foil tape and window film. We just went through the exercise. In 90+ degrees, it was a sauna in there. We have 2 A/Cs and couldnít keep the trailer below 78

First thing we did was add window film to the inside of the windows. From the outside it acts like a mirror, helping to keep a good deal of heat from coming through the windows. So far we have been impressed with it.

Second thing we did was the foil tape. I am making some assumptions here. We have a ducted unit. These foil recommendations wonít work unless yours is ducted. So with that assumption made, you need to prevent the cold air from mixing with the warm intake (which will ruin the cold to the ducts). Pull the fixture down from the ceiling and add foil tape everywhere. It prevents the air from mixing, keeps the air from escaping to the wrong places, and also increases the pressure in the vents. We then pulled down all the vents and sealed them up good with foil tape.

In the same 90+ degree temps, we have been at 72 degrees in the camper with only one A/C unit running. But again, making the assumption itís ducted
Old 08-01-2020, 09:57 AM   #37

Here are the readings I took with an IR temp gauge... This is based on RV101's video on YouTube for checking A/C performance.

When I performed this test this morning, the A/C had been running on the lowest temperature setting (55 degrees) for 3 hours.

Outdoor Temp:

Return Temp:

Conditioned Air Temp:

By my math, that is a 5 degree difference. So not a properly working A/C.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:23 AM   #38

I recall an issue like this years ago with my mother's Class C, around the mid 80's.

Her A/C wouldn't cool, period. Rather than replace she just took it to a shop where they replaced the compressor. A lot cheaper than a new unit even in today's world.

There are a lot of reasons that a unit won't cool and many of them are repairable. Is the compressor even running--------for sure, not guessing?

Now if the OP doesn't like the A/C unit, then by all means replace it. I think I'd have a pro look at it first. If absolutely dead, the pro may even have a good recommendation and even a reasonable price on an INSTALLED unit.

Just saying.

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:24 AM   #39

We had a 2018 Wildwood32WB 37' 50 amp 5ver that had 2 Domatic ACs that would not or could not cool the unit to 80 degrees when out side air temp was above 85. I know the domatic people do not wish to hear this but my dealer told us that there was a bad run of Domatic ACs on the 2018 models.( We had done everything Domatic's techs said to do, mother board charges, thermostat replacemet ect) We have a honest and fair dealer, so I tend to listen to him. I had him change out our Domatic ac units for Colmans during the winter when in storage. Put 2 colman macs on it 100 plus temp cool to 75 no issue ACs worked on auto just fine. So you might wish to consider changing out the ac unit.
Skiveywaver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:38 AM   #40

After getting all the 'bugs' out of the A/C, I have it on most of the time as the sun comes overhead.
I have a 37-foot Coachmen Royal with ducted A/C vents.
When it's 90+ degrees out, it gets up to 79 degrees inside by 4 pm...I have digital thermometers throughout the camper.
To me, it's too warm, but if what everybody's saying is true, then it could be worse.
I'll have my relative who's an HVAC contractor check my system.

BTW, my Coleman A/C on my 33 foot 1983 Terry Taurus that I just moved from worked great for the past 6 years, and it still works great! ...good suggestion!
gcharles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic