Old 07-30-2020, 03:32 PM   #1

Question Dometic A/C unable to cool R/V in 90 degree+ weather?

Hi All,

New RV owner here, so please excuse any noob ignorance. We recently purchased a used 2018 Forest River Wildwood 27REI travel trailer with the Dometic Brisk II 15k air conditioner.

We are going through the backyard trials to shake out any issues before hitting the road. We have the trailer hooked up to a 30A RV box that we had installed on the house. When running the A/C overnight, the RV gets nice and cool, as it should. But as the day approaches noontime to 6:00 PM, the heat of the day (90 degrees +/-) overcomes the A/C unit and the RV quickly heats up to 99+ degrees (I think 99 is as high as the thermostat will show) making it unlivable.

We live in the Northeast and although hot, 90 degrees at the end of July/early August is not unusual.

What should our expectations be re: RV air conditioners? Is this normal that they can't keep an RV even modestly cool (75/80) during hot summer weather, or is our A/C malfunctioning? It's only two years old, so I find it hard to believe that is the extent of its useable life.

Help a noob out! What are your thoughts on this?

Cheers,

Tim
trboyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 05:37 PM   #2

Your AC is certainly not operating properly. With your AC size and travel trailer length, you should expect it to remain in a comfortable range, even during the summer heat.

Itís likely that the Freon has leaked out as these units are especially prone to it. I had the same problem just this week on the very same model/size AC on my 2019. Dometics come with a 2 year warranty from purchase; so, itís possible that itís still covered.

Unfortunately, apart from some creative ingenuity, these units arenít intended to be serviced. Theyíre designed to be replaced. Dometic just replaced my unit on site at the campground yesterday. Now, my TT is in these 70ís at the beach and in direct sun.

Hope this helps!
DrivingRangeChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 05:49 PM   #3

Check the outlet temp of the AC with a thermometer. It should be 20 degrees cooler than the inside temp of the RV.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:03 PM   #4

Thank you very much for your response. So I take it, it is probably a waste of time to try and recharge it? I'll try and get in touch with Dometic tomorrow to see what they say. I am going to bet I am probably just past the 2 year warranty period and probably looking at an out of pocket replacement cost. Bummer to have to immediately throw $1000 at a trailer I just bought. Pretty discouraging. But at least we now know what we should expect out of it.

Anyone have any opinions on replacing it with the Furrion 15.5k unit with the Dometic Brisk adapter kit if it comes to it? I will of course try the Dometic warranty approach first.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingRangeChamp View Post
Your AC is certainly not operating properly. With your AC size and travel trailer length, you should expect it to remain in a comfortable range, even during the summer heat.

It’s likely that the Freon has leaked out as these units are especially prone to it. I had the same problem just this week on the very same model/size AC on my 2019. Dometics come with a 2 year warranty from purchase; so, it’s possible that it’s still covered.

Unfortunately, apart from some creative ingenuity, these units aren’t intended to be serviced. They’re designed to be replaced. Dometic just replaced my unit on site at the campground yesterday. Now, my TT is in these 70’s at the beach and in direct sun.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-30-2020, 06:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trboyden View Post
Thank you very much for your response. So I take it, it is probably a waste of time to try and recharge it? I'll try and get in touch with Dometic tomorrow to see what they say. I am going to bet I am probably just past the 2 year warranty period and probably looking at an out of pocket replacement cost. Bummer to have to immediately throw $1000 at a trailer I just bought. Pretty discouraging. But at least we now know what we should expect out of it.

Anyone have any opinions on replacing it with the Furrion 15.5k unit with the Dometic Brisk adapter kit if it comes to it? I will of course try the Dometic warranty approach first.

Thanks!
After going through three Dometic Units I went with a Coleman. There is an adapter kit for the Coleman to work with the Dometic controller and thermostat. When we buy a new camper, Coleman is a requirement.
2018 25 2019 25
2020 16
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:15 PM   #6

Thanks for your response! Definitely not 20 degrees below the inside temp. At one point based on tips I saw on YouTube, I went on the roof to see if the unit was exhausting hot or cool air. It was exhausting cool air and blowing hot air inside. As far as I know, this unit does not have a heat pump, only the option for the electric element to heat the air on a brisk morning. Certainly not the amount of heat it was putting out. This was after the first time I hooked it up to shore power and ran the A/C overnight. When I checked it around 8:00 in the morning, the RV was at the set temp, 68 degrees. When I went out at lunch time, it was blowing hot air and it was 99+ degrees in the RV. Yes, it got real hot and humid out, probably 90 degrees and 70% humidity, but I certainly wasn't expecting the inside of the RV to be unlivable. I was pouring sweat within 10 minutes of being in there and trying to troubleshoot the issue.

To add insult to injury, last night I put one of those 450 CFM turbine fans in there pointing out the kitchen window and it was able to get the temp from 99+ degrees to around 75 degrees overnight all by itself without the A/C running. The A/C was only able to get it 10 degrees colder at its best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Check the outlet temp of the AC with a thermometer. It should be 20 degrees cooler than the inside temp of the RV.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:19 PM   #7

Good to know, thanks for your input. I found the Furrion 15.5k unit from reviews on eTrailer.com. It seemed to get good reviews, but I'll check out Coleman as well.

Did you have a specific model to recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolharts View Post
After going through three Dometic Units I went with a Coleman. There is an adapter kit for the Coleman to work with the Dometic controller and thermostat. When we buy a new camper, Coleman is a requirement.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:28 PM   #8

Dometic A/C unable to cool R/V in 90 degree+ weather?

Quote:

Thanks!

Yea, the only way to recharge is to have someone add a port to it, as itís not designed to be serviced. Then, youíre not guaranteed that it will fix the problem, and youíre still out significant $$$.

I enjoy Big Truck, Big RVís YouTube channel and find him to be reliable. He recommends an Advent AC replacement. https://youtu.be/Vm7ew1LLZAI.
DrivingRangeChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:30 PM   #9

do you think the a/c was responsible for getting down to 68 or was that just the result of cooler overnight temps? perhaps most, but not all of the freon is gone. is just the fan coming on or both fan and compressor? there could be a possibility that the compressor is not cycling on. just trying to keep you from replacing the unit if you don't have to.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:04 PM   #10

I think the A/C works somewhat, but barely. I could hear the compressor kick on, so I think it probably is a freon issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
do you think the a/c was responsible for getting down to 68 or was that just the result of cooler overnight temps? perhaps most, but not all of the freon is gone. is just the fan coming on or both fan and compressor? there could be a possibility that the compressor is not cycling on. just trying to keep you from replacing the unit if you don't have to.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:10 PM   #11

Bummer, but figures. Checked Dometic's website to get the warranty info and their support info. Their warranty specifically states it only covers the original purchaser, so looks like I am SOL. Wife is pissed, but she pushed to buy this one. Looks like I am getting a new truck and an A/C out of this. Thing is too heavy for my RAM 1500 even after adding a 5000 lb airlift kit. Told her we should have got the smaller Winnebago...

I'll check out that YouTube channel though, thanks again.

Quote:
Yea, the only way to recharge is to have someone add a port to it, as itís not designed to be serviced. Then, your not guaranteed that it will fix the problem, and youíre still out significant $$$.

I enjoy Big Truck, Big RVís YouTube channel and find him to be reliable. He recommends an Advent AC replacement. https://youtu.be/Vm7ew1LLZAI.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:44 PM   #12

Looks like eTrailer.com is advertising the Furrion 15.5k as the replacement for the Dometic Brisk units now. They don't list the Advent ones anymore for that purpose.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Air-Cond...on/FR86SR.html

Quote:
Yea, the only way to recharge is to have someone add a port to it, as itís not designed to be serviced. Then, youíre not guaranteed that it will fix the problem, and youíre still out significant $$$.

Old 07-30-2020, 08:09 PM   #13

Dometic ac

The units are built to last a week or two after the warranty runs out, they are also impossible to recharge and the copper tubing joints donít hold up. Good news the hardest part is lifting the ac up on the roof. A few wires to disconnect/connect.
SantaFe big sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:13 AM   #14

You really need to know the temp of the outlet air and the inside temp. As said before 20 degree Difference is what your looking for. Have you checked the filter?. Have you pulled the grill down and see if the plenum divider is in tact. Itís the part that separates the intake side from the discharge air. Itís kinda in the middle. Some are just cheap insulation that deteriorates. Hard styrofoam board cut to size and glued and tinfoil taped in place works well. Also tinfoil tape the seems of the cabinet. These units are almostt never installed correctly and the hideous workmanship is appalling. I have a 2020 Forest river vibe 32bh thatís 38 feet from bumper to hitch. The bunk ac has already quit. Itís the control board thatís bad. Itís been 3 weeks and Iím still waiting on the ok to fix it under warranty. My 15,000 btu main unit keeps the RV inside pretty good but when is 95 degrees with direct sun 78 degrees inside is what it will be at 5 pm. And it has the insulated belly as well for all weather camping. Check those things first. The Colman AC units are proven units that last darn well.
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 02:04 PM   #15

Easy test to see if the AC is working properly:

Take the temperature of the air going into the AC (measure right at the intake).

Take the temperature of the air going out of the AC (measure right at the output, not a duct).

If the difference between the temperatures is 16-22 degrees (or greater), the problem is NOT the AC.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:14 PM   #16

Unless I missed the post. Climb up on the roof, remove the AC cover and inspect the coils to make sure they're clean. We did a lot of camping near cottonwood trees and I always had to clean mine out at least twice a season. Check your inside filter also.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 03:01 PM   #17

While 90 degree weather will tax most any A/C if your inside temp is reaching 90+ then there is definitely something wrong with the unit.
Dsimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 03:08 PM   #18
ysidive

Quote:
Hi All,

New RV owner here, so please excuse any noob ignorance. We recently purchased a used 2018 Forest River Wildwood 27REI travel trailer with the Dometic Brisk II 15k air conditioner.

We are going through the backyard trials to shake out any issues before hitting the road. We have the trailer hooked up to a 30A RV box that we had installed on the house. When running the A/C overnight, the RV gets nice and cool, as it should. But as the day approaches noontime to 6:00 PM, the heat of the day (90 degrees +/-) overcomes the A/C unit and the RV quickly heats up to 99+ degrees (I think 99 is as high as the thermostat will show) making it unlivable.

We live in the Northeast and although hot, 90 degrees at the end of July/early August is not unusual.

What should our expectations be re: RV air conditioners? Is this normal that they can't keep an RV even modestly cool (75/80) during hot summer weather, or is our A/C malfunctioning? It's only two years old, so I find it hard to believe that is the extent of its useable life.

Help a noob out! What are your thoughts on this?

Cheers,

Tim
Call or go to an RV Dealer or contact a roaming tech to see how old the unit actually is ie how long in service...... IF less than 2 years it might be replaced under the warrantee..... IF not under warrantee I would suggest replacing it with a Coleman.......... My Dometic died after 23 months and was lucky to have it replaced under warrantee. Many of my camper buddies have had the Dometic crap out at 2 years or slightly over the warrantee and they will never buy a Dometic AC again....
Old 07-31-2020, 04:20 PM   #19

Don't expect much from any unit in 90+ degree heat in the sun. Very little insulation in the campers.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 04:34 PM   #20

Dealer we bought it from just issued a blanket statement that A/Cs don't work in 90 degree weather period and to call Dometic. That's what prompted the post because I wanted to hear what people's experience with RVs are in general in hot, direct sun conditions. With the latest posts to this thread, we are at about 50/50 of people who say the A/C is not working right based on their experience versus those that say it is to be expected.

I am fortunate enough that I can afford to throw some money at this, so I ordered the Furrion unit from eTrailer.com. I was having trouble finding any Colemans available to ship in any reasonable time. It is summer after all...

Thanks all.

-Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysidive View Post
Call or go to an RV Dealer or contact a roaming tech to see how old the unit actually is ie how long in service...... IF less than 2 years it might be replaced under the warrantee..... IF not under warrantee I would suggest replacing it with a Coleman.......... My Dometic died after 23 months and was lucky to have it replaced under warrantee. Many of my camper buddies have had the Dometic crap out at 2 years or slightly over the warrantee and they will never buy a Dometic AC again....

Tags
dometic