Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2017, 02:26 PM   #1

Dometic AC 15K won't stay on low fan when cooling

With the thermostat set 1 degree lower than camper internal temp, why will it not stay cooling on low fan with the setting on low fan? It randomly kicks out the compressor and cycles the fan to high, then back to low fan with the compressor. This habit continues until I switch the fan to high.
I just replaced the thermostat and AC controller in hopes to fix this but no luck.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:07 PM   #2

I am not an HVAC person but what I have learned with my own RV A/C problems I would only guess that your A/C unit is detecting freezing up of the coils via a sensor that is in the A/C unit designed to do just that. This would cause the A/C unit to cut out the compressor and turn the fan on "HI" to thaw out any icing on the coil. Just this past weekend the A/C unit on the front of my TT was doing just that. When I asked the boss lady what had she placed the cooling setting on I got the "I don't know, I just turned the knob until the A/C was running". It was on "LOW" so I tuned it to "HI" and all was well the rest of the day. One of my Dometic A/C units has a small wire held into place in the middle of the coil by a tiny wire, the other Dometic unit has an actual copper sensing bulb placed onto the coil with a small sheet metal attachment. My limited HVAC training tells me these are the sensors to detect a coil freezing problem. If I'm wrong I will be corrected and educated on this forum.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:40 PM   #3

I also changed the sensor that you speak of, but it doesn't run long enough to get to the point of freeze up before it kicks out.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:57 PM   #4
Casey & Carolyn

Try this procedure it cures a lot if issues.

System InitializationA system initialization will need to be performed by the installer afterthe system is installed.• MakesuretheSingleZoneLCDthermostatisintheOffcondi-tion. See page 4, "Quick Reference To Control Buttons".• Pressthe"+" button and, while holding it, also press and holdthe On/Off Mode button for three seconds. LCD will show― ― . Press the On/Off Mode button again to turn system off.This completes the initialization.The furnace On/Off temperature differential should be set at this time.See "Mode Description - Furnace" on page 9 for further informationon furnace mode differential setting.
2018 Ram 3500 4x4 CC Cummins Powered
Casey r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey r View Post
Try this procedure it cures a lot if issues.

System InitializationA system initialization will need to be performed by the installer afterthe system is installed.• MakesuretheSingleZoneLCDthermostatisintheOffcondi-tion. See page 4, "Quick Reference To Control Buttons".• Pressthe"+" button and, while holding it, also press and holdthe On/Off Mode button for three seconds. LCD will show― ― . Press the On/Off Mode button again to turn system off.This completes the initialization.The furnace On/Off temperature differential should be set at this time.See "Mode Description - Furnace" on page 9 for further informationon furnace mode differential setting.
I have done this several times, with no change.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:05 PM   #6

Update: Had the neighbor add r410a freon in 2017, after I wrote this and cured my issue. Had to have him add again this year, cooling well at the moment but afraid a new Dometic 15k unit will be in the future.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:40 PM   #7

Running the A/C on low tends to make them ice up as mentioned above. Avoid that if possible.

Tags
cooling, dometic, fan